Movie Reviews

Discussion in 'Daytona Beach, FL' started by Forja-Bingbey, Jun 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forja-Bingbey Jedi Knight

star 3
    I figured that I would start a thread where everyone could talk and discuss the latest films that are coming out, and the anything interesting being released on DVD.

Seeing as I work at a theater and most of the times I stay late on Thursday nights to preview our new films, I could give everyone a heads up on what cool and what blows.

Alas I did not get a chance to see The Bourne Indetity last night, I was paid a visit from an old friend and we wound up talking to the wee hours. The offical word on Scooby Doo is that its not as bad as the trailers made it out to be. Lots of pot references in a film that is rated PG.

As far as DVD's Black Hawk Down and UHF are last two that I bought this week. The Deleted Scenes on UHF make it a steal for only $9.99 at your local retailer. Of course the movie is still cheesey Werid Al fun, and Micheal Richards steals the whole movie as Stanley Spudoski, a man and his mop.

I can't wait to by Orange County next week, and Minority Report finally comes out on the 21st!
  2. ismaren Jedi Knight

star 3
    yeah, I'm looking forward to Minority Report too. I never saw Black Hawk Down. There were a lot of movies that came out about the same time that I wanted to see and never got the chance. A Beautiful Mind and The Majestic were two I missed also. I need to do a Blockbuster Movie Run.
  3. Commander_Clone Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was really impressed with "the sum of all fears" I thought the plot was really good, with another great performance by morgan freeman. I like nuke movies too.
  4. ismaren Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sum of All Fears was good, but the book takes a totally different spin on things. Same events, but a different perspective from Jack Ryan. I liked the book better.
  5. Commander_Clone Jedi Knight

star 1
    What did Jack do differently in the book. I didn't think the actor that played him was that great anyway. Hit just didn't fit right somehow.

Have any of you heard anything good/bad/ugly about minority report? I thought the previews for it looked really awesome.
  6. ismaren Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, in the book Jack is much older, married with two kids and another on the way. He's second in command in the CIA, and the only one in the government who has any clue what's going on. I dunno if you've seen the other movie adaptaions of Clancy books, but the timeline of these stories should be Patriot Games, Hunt for Red October, Clear and Present Danger and then Sum of All Fears. The movie people moved Fears to make it the beginning of the Jack Ryan saga.

The book relates more to the "sum of all fears" with nuclear war, and Jack's life/marriage falls apart while all this is going on. There's a cut scene where the president tries to bomb a city in the middle east, and Jack stops him, and they have a shouting match, etc. There's a lot of the story that hinges on how old Jack is, and when he's made so much younger, those elements are cut out.

And yes, Ben Affleck sucks

I haven't heard that much about Minority Report. The previews do look good though. I'll keep my eyes open.
  7. Commander_Clone Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'd have to say I like Clancy's books better myself. It sounds like that this adaptation was no different. I just heard that he was on the production staff for the film. You think he would have tried harder to keep the book and the film identical.
  8. MortWindu Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I haven't seen any movies in awhile, last one I saw was the 4th time I saw Episode II. I want to go see Minority Report, the movie looks pretty neat, still never went to see Insomnia which I need to go before its gone.
  9. Forja-Bingbey Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hello All...

I just wanted to drop a note about some of the films I've experienced in the past week. I saw Minority Report last Friday and I have to saw that I didn't care for it that much. I found it visualy interesting, but the story of a cop on the edge in the future who heads up this precrime unit was weak in my opinion. I feel like an alien saying this because everyone that I know has loved it. Most Star Wars fans love the fact that there is a factory line chase scene like the one in Episode II. I wonder if Steven and George got together on this one. I know that the one in Episode II was and after thoguht on George's part. The film calls itself a futuristic film-noir, but the story was very predictable. Mystery and Film-Noir our two of my favorite film genres and I feel that they did a poor job of keeping my interested in the characters and the plot. The last half of the film feel so much like the 'The Fugitive' I started looking for a one-armed man to pop out of the bushes and beat on Tom Cruise. With that said I would like to mention that I picked up a sopy of one of my favorite movies this year. Orange County is a funny, poinet tale of a college bound Colin Hanks and feels that he needs to move away from his family and freinds to better himself as a writer. This movie while being funny and witty also has a very strong message buried deep inside its comedy guise. I strongly recommend this movie to anyone.
    Plus Jack Black throwing cups of piss around and watching Sponge-Bob Square Pants makes for great laughs.

Coming Next Week.

Mr. Deeds, Lilo & Stitch

and on DVD video

Gosford Park

Until next time.
  10. Commander_Clone Jedi Knight

star 1
    I thought minority report was predictable too, but I thought that the original plotline and some of the special effects made up for it. I'd recommend it to anyone. I'll be home earlier now! I'll see you guys around August 19th!
  11. MortWindu Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I went and saw MIB II with Forja-Bingbey, and DarthDion last night. I thought it was a pretty good movie overall, very funny and had a decent storyline (those little worms rule).
  12. Forja-Bingbey Jedi Knight

star 3
    MortWindu beating me to the punch.

I need to set my alarm clock earlier.

FINALLY a summer movie worth speanding $7.00 on. Men In Black II was one of the better films that I have seen this year. A very generic plot, but lots of random, bizzare quips and jokes that come out of nowhere and deliver the goods. It had been a while since I watched the original. I had forgotten the chemistry that Smith and Jones shared on screen. In this film the small secondary characters ruled. Frank the Pug for instance. From the first time he walks on screen til the last frame this dog is getting the biggest laughs and walking all over Smith. For those of you who want to see it, i won't go into details of the plot, funny lines, etc., but rest asured this holiday weekend. When you have had enough of the fireworks, burgers, and relatives go check film out. Its a quick 90 minute destraction. Plus the new trailer for The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers is playing before it in most theatres.

Have a safe holiday.

Until next week...
  13. Commander_Clone Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was talking to a friend of mine about precrime, (minority report, duh) and the topic came up that we didn't know what a halo was anyway. We were thinking like, handcuffs for the mind or something.

Anyone know?
  14. Forja-Bingbey Jedi Knight

star 3
    Last night I previewed 'Reign Of Fire' and in the first ten minutes of the film there was a very big reference to The Empire Strikes Back. I won't say what it is, but make sure if you go and see this movie that you get there early to catch it. Its a very tounge in cheek joke, so its not that offensive. Over all the film was pretty good considering that its about dragons destorying the world. I like the set design and look of the film. Christian Bale who plays Quinn the unspoken leader/father figure to his people was brilliant. The CGI effects of the dragons were better than I though, much better that 'Dragon's Heart' from 95'. I give 'Reign Of Fire' a solid three lightsabers.
  15. Forja-Bingbey Jedi Knight

star 3
    I figured that a movie staring Han Solo and Qui-Gon Jinn would be interesting. I was mistaken. I thought that a film with the combined Spielberg talents of Indiana Jones and Oscar Schindler would be decent. Nope. K-19: The Widowmaker would have made an interesting documentary. Poor Kathryn Bigellow, her career is so spread out over that last two decades that I just feel sorry for her. Well, at least she doesn?t repeat herself. Near Dark, Point Break, Strange Days, and K-19: The Widowmaker.

Oh, by the way? Road To Perdition is THE best movie of the year thus far.
  16. Commander_Clone Jedi Knight

star 1
    I heard that "Road to..." sucked because the characters were dark and unrealistic. It can't be better than EP.2 anyway....

I thought maybe that dragon movie might be cool if they gave it a descent plot and no cheesy lines.

17. Forja-Bingbey Jedi Knight

star 3
    Commander Clone, I really feel sorry for you if you think that Attack Of The Clones is a better film than Road To Perdition. Sam Mendas has more talent in his pinky than George Lucas has in his whole body. Road To Perdition was a superior film to almost everything that has been released this year. And if you think that just because a character is dark that means a movie will suck?! So by that rationale all movies suck.
  18. MortWindu Jedi Youngling

star 1
    get the Terminator 2: Special Edition DVD, its the best.
  19. Commander_Clone Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey, I never saw the movie. That's why I came here and asked you. I was just relaying information heard earlier. I may just go and see it now.

I did however have a free pass to go and see Mr. Deeds, and it wasn't worth it. I didn't didn't think it was very good. I expected more from Adam Sandler, he just hasn't picked good scripts lately.

20. Forja-Bingbey Jedi Knight

star 3
    Austin Powers in Goldmember is a funny movie. The Country Bears in not.
  21. MortWindu Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I saw "A Clockwork Orange" last night, and that is one of the weirdest, coolest, funniest movies ever. If you haven't seen this movie I recommend that you rent it. You'll love the way the "clown" music is playing in a more serious scene and its just great the way this movie was done.
  22. Forja-Bingbey Jedi Knight

star 3
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Stanley Kubrick movies, MortWindu.

Might I suggest Full Metal Jacket, Lolita, The Shinning, Dr. Strangelove, 2001, The Killing, The Kiler's Kiss, Barry Lyndon, or Eyes Wide Shut.
  23. Commander_Clone Jedi Knight

star 1
    Kubrick rocks! Clockwork orange was throughly creepy, and yet cool at the same time. Full metal jacket was great too, particularily the beginning.

Did Kubrick have a hand in A.I? I heard something about him starting it, but he died before it was done. I thought it was an okay movie.
  24. LianaMara Force Ghost

star 4
    Fellowship of the Ring comes out on Tuesday! :D
    *very happy*

Of course, if you were a little smart and had a DVD player, you'd wait until November and buy the special edition of FOTR with 30 minutes of extra footage (very cool). Unfortunately, I have no DVD player, so I gotta stick with the VHS.

Ah yes, and XXX comes out soon. Friday in theaters, I believe? It sounds very cool.
  25. MortWindu Jedi Youngling

star 1
    By far the most fun thing to post..movie reviews. I havent seen anything recent at the theaters but I've borrowed a few and rented some (Top Gun, Enemy of the State, and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves to name a few). I was wondering what you have all seen recently? Jackass, the Ring, or any other films.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.