main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Movies are no longer Quotable

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, May 1, 2018.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Old guy rant incoming

What's the most recent movie you've seen that has had a pervasive enough pop culture impact that people quote lines of it back to you, or you feel inclined to quote lines from it? Or lines of dialogue from it show up in other movies. I'm straining to think of anything released in the last five years that fits the bill. Anything after The Lord of the Rings movies? There must be something.

Name your favorite quote from the most recent movie that has made a real impression on you.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it wasn't a movie but in the show versailles there's a scene where louis xiv's brother philippe says, "I AM THE SOUND OF DISTANT THUNDER", so i've been saying that a lot lately. there was also an episode of wheel of fortune where a female contestant loudly asked for an 's' but it sounded like she said "ASS!". that still gets to me.

Boba_Fett_2001 and Rylo Ken like this.
  3. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Has the locus of quotable lines moved back to television? HBO? Henry Winkler in Barry has come close to a few lines that I might want to quote. Not quite there, but I sense potential.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I often quote The IT Crowd - it's a damp squid and don't put her on a pedalstool .

Rylo Ken likes this.
  5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    In The Avengers (2012) -- Iron Man says to Loki: "We have a Hulk".
    In Avengers: Infinity War (2018) --
    Loki says to Thanos: "We have a Hulk".

Also, in Captain America -- Steve says, "I can do this all day"
    then in Captain America: Civil War -- Steve says, "I can do this all day."

I don't know if you'd consider this a quote or a call back.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Before Fight Club came along I'd already become semiconvinced that we'd reached The End of History in terms of movie quotability. This has been a long time coming.

I accidentally made myself aware today of the uncomfortable fact that the prequels are more quotable than the sequel trilogy, even if they're only ironically quotable.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    CT-867-5309 likes this.
  7. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I find myself quoting Lego Movie's, "First try!" if I screw something multiple times.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Tiny you're proving my point. Thank you!

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I don't think you have to go as far back as LOTR. The Dark Knight is pretty quotable ("Why so serious", "The hero we deserve", etc). Could also make a case for "You merely adopted the darkness" from Dark Knight Rises.

Do songs or song lyrics fall into this? Because I haven't seen Frozen and even I know the phrase "let it go."

10. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I'll give you Dark Knight. "Why So Serious" is a legitimate catch phrase. Is 2008 the most recent year that a movie was quotable?

11. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    yeah "Why so serious" is one .

otherwise I think tv has produced a lot more lately .

.Movies take a bit longer to bed-in . I don't think SW ANH was that much quoted until it had been around a while .

12. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Mad Max: Fury Road - "WITNESS ME" and varations thereof.

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    So Frozen doesn't count? It's from 2013! :p

14. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    oh , yeah , he's right , Frozen is one of those lines I wish people would stop saying / singing . I don't know why but I often quote that line "I stole a loaf of bread !" from that Miserables movie , and I don't even like the movie , but it's just funny the way he says it .

15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    A memorable song seems like a different category. I don't necessarily get to make the rules though. I know every child is my youngest son's elementary school was singing Let It Go for a while there.

16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    How about:

There are no two words in the English language more harmful than "good job".

Were you rushing or were you dragging?

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I don't know what that's from. Maybe that's the problem. I've lost touch. That seems like a reasonable explanation for what's going on.

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    One modern trend is the use of memes and gifs from movies instead of actually quoting them, I use this one all the time for example:

[​IMG]

Rew, Master_Lok, Sarge and 5 others like this.
  19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    But that's the point. "I understood that reference" is so fundamentally unquotable that it has to be contextualized via visual reference to its movie of origin before it can be co-opted for meme use.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Right, I'm agreeing with you....moveis aren't as quotable as they used to be but we find other ways to reference them

PCCViking and Rylo Ken like this.
  21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Magical punch, magical kick.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You complete me.

Master_Lok and heels1785 like this.
  24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    but should I be unhappy about that? I want to be unhappy about it. I like a line like "Why so serious?" that's so evocative of the film it references that there's no need to add Heath Ledger's face to it at all. It doesn't have to be giffed even though there's nothing wrong with giffing if that's what you like to do.

wmu'14 likes this.
  25. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Being unhappy about things is movies is kind of your thing isn't it? :p