main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Movies are no longer Quotable

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, May 1, 2018.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    image isn't showing Ken . But it might be my computer , I'm never sure , still , loving the irony of an invisible silent movie quote .

edit - ah there it is now :)

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    cut out... his ass?!?!

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Game over, man, game over!

5. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I can't believe he's gone .

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    In 1980, there are 116 movies tracked by Box Office Mojo in terms of receipts/money made. 2017? 735. We are just over indicated with content. I love to see what the count of TV shows there were in 1995 and compare that to today were there are basically over 500 TV shows. All that content btw just leads to pop culture behind spread so much that there is a nitche for everyone therefore what is a "classic line" for one person is not for the other because not nearly as many people see the same films.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    pop culture behind spread, probably the worst butter substitute.

8. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I'll take behind spread over margarine any day of the week.

- Last Tango In Paris, 1972

9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Well yeah, if it's over indicated.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That's not flying! That's falling, with style!

Luke02, Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  11. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Problem: I hear SW fans say that. I don't hear any non-SW fans say it. SW fans are going to quote any line from any SW movie (or most SW movies depending on which ones they like and don't like)

I would think to be a Memorable Quote, it has to be heard from people who aren't necessarily fans of the movie's franchise and applicable in every day life, so lines like 'We have a Hulk' or 'Wakanda forever' wouldn't count either.

Probably the biggest one and most recent is indeed 'Let it go' from Frozen. Everyone gets the reference and it can be said in every day life by almost everyone. Wasn't a franchise at the time of its release and when it was being quoted. Perfect example.

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm questioning any fan that puts AOTC before ANH. Unless that fan had strangled itself with the umbilical chord in the womb.

Hypothetically speaking of course.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    NO CAPES!!!

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    @SuperWatto:

I am so glad you posted. It seems like you have a lots of points of confusion we could clarify.

1. You said that you "said nothing" about art. The word in the post is not art. It is "fiction." But fiction is clearly a subset of art. It is certainly a work of the human imagination. Represented as Venn (or Euler) diagrams, one would be nested entirely inside one another. They are so highly similar, in fact, that I'd apply the exact same arguments to the service of their term. Could you clarify what in fact your actual objection is here?

2. You have repeatedly asserted that I meant to say "reflects." I do not. As I've stated several times in this thread, and is generally acknowledge, art is not only a product of culture but helps to shape and influence that culture going forward. Thus, when I argue it is degrading our cultural discourse, I literally mean that the manner in which it is influencing the culture is negative or degrading. That's not a matter of "reflection." That's a matter of effect. Are you confused about the relationship between art and culture? Are you unaware of examples where a piece of art did more than simply "reflect" the state of the culture but actually helped drive it?

3. You labeled the discussion as "americentrism." This is, again, incorrect. We were discussing contemporary films I know it may be surprising to many, but films actually compete on a global marketplace. This is a major metric that is now tracked, and many Hollywood franchises that tank in the United States are carried on their profitability in other countries. Several films include several elements (locations, characters, plot devices) that are each designed to appeal to different populations. Movies produced with a global audience in mind and consumed in this fashion can certainly be discussed in terms of their global effects as art. Were you previously unaware of this trend? As I said, it is a rather new trend, and casual moviegoers may not have realized the transition.

15. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I see what you mean now. You really meant it. I didn't realize it because it's so aloof to me.

I'll grant you this: if Hollywood movies have somehow become more unquotable and their lingo less elevated (which I wouldn't know because I hardly watch them), then sure, that in itself may have some impact on how people deal with each other.

The reason I didn't understand that that's what you were arguing is that I think that influence is perhaps large on these boards, perhaps present in the US, but wholly negligable in the wider world.

Edit: besides that: language, as everything, has always changed, and our great-grandparents would frown upon some of the things we write. If a language renders itself insufficient, it dies and another language takes its place. Tenses fall off. Addressments. Quotable movie lines? But the English language remains vibrant and adaptable. And that's just one language. I don't think there's any veracity in the statement that discourse itself degrades; on the contrary, I think it's being perfected, ever since it was invented.

16. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    You hardly watch movies. That is not true of the general population. American film and television dominates the entertainment landscape of most of the globe, in addition to domestic film and tv series of wherever they are. Speaking from my own experience here in Norway, American fiction easily makes up half of people's entertainment consumption, if not more. To claim that behaviours, attitudes and discourse witnessed in the fiction that most people consume on a daily basis in no way affects the behaviours, attitudes or outlook of the people consuming it, particularly young people, is a... let's say daring claim.

17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    "discourse degrades". Do you agree?

18. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I can't believe it's not butter !
    Stop saying discourse !
    pervert .

19. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    That depends on the premise that the change is negative. I'm not entering that discussion. I'm taking issue with your claim that the effect is negligible. Maybe it's because I'm younger than you, but I can clearly tell from my surroundings that people are continuously affected by the media they consume in large and small ways in their everyday lives, and about half of that media is American. Whether it degrades or not is beside the point; the idea that media consumed daily, and targeted mainly at adolescents and younger people, has a negligible effect on people is a bold claim.

20. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    No I'm saying any negative effect on their discourse (sorry gez) is negligable.

21. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I wouldn't know. I'm not in an environment where I would hear kids and adolescents talk, and media mostly affects them. Older people are in a way already shaped. But you're probably right.

22. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I think media affects mannerisms (like quoting movies), not actual discourse.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Why is the rum all gone?

Ahsoka's Tano and Jordan1Kenobi like this.
  24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    also let's not forget the main reason we quoted movies was not the act of quoting itself (basically a microcosm of the Ready Player One experiment) but because of what that quote conveyed. Since the meme basically does the same thing in a less context dependent way, we've merely found another mechanism to express ourselves.

Rylo Ken and SuperWatto like this.
  25. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I a serious, and don't call me Shirley.