main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOVIES MOVIES MOVIES

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by cruznseal2, Oct 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    I just got back from blockbuster and as usual i couldn't think of the hundreds of movies i've wanted to see. maybe i'm just absent minded but i thought it might be fun start a list of good movies (bad ones too) so for starters i thought i'd throw some out there that i enjoyed.

CUBE-
    [image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6305238065.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif]

12 Monkeys
    [image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/078322608X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

Jin-Roh - The Wolf Brigade-
    [image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005UW7E.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

FIGHT CLUB- one of those movies every one should see at least 4 times
    [image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00003W8NM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

i'm sure there are lots more but those are the ones that come to mind. anyway i hope you enjoy.

-mike

2. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Doh! I own three of the four there. And I've seen the Cube. Very very cool movie.

M

3. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    I can't speak for the other 3, but I really liked 12 Monkeys. Other movies I've liked along the way include Seven, Strange Days, and One Hour Photo...normally I'd be able to think of a few more, but nothing else is coming to mind right now.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot the original Hellraiser.

4. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    Signs was good.
    I also like a good love story.
    -You've Got Mail
    -The Mirror Has Two Faces

5. cruznseal2

Aug 19, 2001
    love stories egh. are there any Pride & Prejudice fans around? i know i'm not suposed to like chick flicks but i can't help myself. i'm hoplessly in love with lizy.

-mike

Flame away

6. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Okay, just got back from The Ring - ******** amazing! I loved it. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight because of the creepy imagery rolling about in my now twisted mind.

Everyone, see this movie.

Jeff

7. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Excellent thread, Mike. And you're allowed to like "Chick Flicks." As long as they're well done.

Cube is an awesome movie. I love the ones that leave you hanging there to contemplate the moral implications of your prejudices and the ills of society. Don't see too many of them out there.

I haven't seen any of the others on your initial list, tho. I am ashamed. :(

I've heard nothing but good things about The Ring. I think I'll have to venture to the cinema soon. It's been too long for me. But if I get carded again, so help me ...

8. BobaFemmeFatale

BobaFemmeFatale Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2001
    I love the German film Bandits. It is bad good. They intersperse cheesy videos with the story line. It's about a girl escaped prisoners band.

9. MiladyJ

MiladyJ Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2002
    If your looking for a good movie check out Brotherhood of the Wolf. It's a horror/romance/martial arts/period drama, and very good indeed. The cinematography is amazing.
    As for The Ring, I was too afraid to look at any unlabled video for atleast 3 days after I saw it:)

10. cruznseal2

Aug 19, 2001
    Another great movie that few people have seen is reservoir dogs a great mob movie that takes an interesting perspective and some how makes you laugh through even the most intense scenes.

[image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000068U01.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

also another great movie when your sick of Hollywood is the newly released "importance of being Ernest"

that?s all for now

-mike

11. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Or any of the other Ernest movies. Especially Ernest goes to Camp. Very good.

Jeff

12. SameSithDifferentDay

SameSithDifferentDay Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    My favorite was Ernest Goes to Hell.

I saw Cube when it was on the Sci-Fi channel. Not bad. I've heard rumors of a sequel in the works.

12 Monkeys is fantastic, as are all of Terry Gilliams films (with the possible exception of The Fisher King).

I haven't seen Jin-Roh but I would like to. The trailer looked very interesting.

Fight Club was alright, I guess.

I rented a really interesting movie called CQ this week. I'm not sure how I would describe it, so I'll let IMDB take care of that for me.

13. Kylash_327

Kylash_327 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2002
    Jin-Roh kicks ass! I own it, great great movie.

14. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    Eek. Brotherhood of the Wolf it was like Iron Monkey only ...French.

Anyway, movies that are a must on the M list:

Princess Mononoke
    Boondock Saints
    Suicide Kings
    Contact
    Payback (Just for some good lines)
    Monument Avenue
    13th Warrior
    Bladerunner (but who hasn't seen it)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Plus like a million others I can't remember off hand...

I started the list with Princess Mononoke because it's a great film with a beautiful soundtrack and if you haven't seen it and like animation, it's a must see.

m

ps- Isn't The Ring a remake of the Japanese film Ringu? From like 1997 or 1998? Huge hit..maybe I'm confused.

15. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    I am so out of touch.

16. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Yes, The Ring is a remake, but I'm not sure what the original was called or who did it (but it is Japanese).

Jeff

17. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I generally watch alot of historically-based films, just cause I love costume dramas (drives Bob nuts, too! :p ).

Here are some must-sees on the historical list (or thereabouts--rarely is a movie ever historically accurate):

Gladiator
    Anne of the Thousand Days
    Restoration
    The Three Musketeers (w/ Oliver Reed, Michael York)
    The Four Musketeers (w/ Oliver Reed, Michael York)
    The Lion in Winter
    Braveheart
    Robin Hood (the one with Patrick Bergin and Uma Thurman)
    Quo Vadis (if only for Peter Ustinov's hysterical portrayal of mad Nero!)
    Elizabeth
    The Age of Innocence (you will never see better Victorian fashions than in this one!)
    Cromwell (with Alec Guiness and Richard Harris)
    Dangerous Beauty (great Italian Renaissance costume)
    Bram Stoker's Dracula (yes, I know, it's not historical, but the costumes are just stunning!)
    Alfred the Great (one of my favorites with David Hemmings--unfortunately, you can't get it on VHS, but Turner Classic Movies runs it runs once a year or so, and if I remember correctly, a young Julian Glover is this one...)
    Valmont (great 18th century costuming!)
    Immortal Beloved (great Napoleonic costuming, and Gary Oldman's fabulous performance!)

I'm sure there are bunch of others that I am forgetting, but I can't think of them off the top of my head...

As for other great movies:

Blade Runner
    Logan's Run
    Fight Club
    Mission Impossible II
    The Philadelphia Story
    The Uninvited (w/ Ray Milland--my favorite ghost story!)
    Lost Horizon
    Cleopatra (nothin's cooler than a Liz and Dick movie...)
    The Sandpiper (...except maybe two Liz and Dick movies!)
    The Taming of the Shrew (...or three Liz and Dick movies!)
    A Knight's Tale (what every reenactor would love real history to be like secretly...)
    Joe Versus the Volcano (a highly underrated film!)

and, oh jeez, a whole host of others I'm sure I'm forgetting...

Anyway, lots of good stuff here to keep you busy for days at Blockbuster! :D

18. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    A lot of my favorites coincide with Marcy's since we have similar tastes. I'd especially second her praise for Princess Mononoke (my favorite anime film), Payback and Boondock Saints.

But I would add:

As Good as It Gets - It's about one of the only love stories I enjoy, mostly because it's not typical and the great dialogue.

Heat - Bad guy and good guy interaction, great cast and one of the best gun fights in my opinion.

To Kill a Mockingbird - One of my favorite books, and done very well on film.

A Midnight Clear - My favorite war movie, and very accurate to the book.

Seven - It's creepy. Horror films with the likes of Jason and Freddy don't affect me, but movies where the killer is as human as any one of us, give me the shivers.

Dwayne

19. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Dwayne, you totally stole my thunder. I love "To Kill a Mockingbird". Its one of the best adaptations ever. Gregory Peck is awesome in it. I also would suggest "the Maltese Falcon" for any film noir/detective fans out there. "Empire of the Sun" is another favorite, and I'm a sucker for the star-studded "Kelly's Heroes", to which "Three Kings" was a blatant and unwelcome rip-off. For comedy, I have to go with "My Cousin Vinny". Every time it's on tv, I decide to pop in the tape, because unedited Pesci is just hilarious.

Jason

20. SameSithDifferentDay

SameSithDifferentDay Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    13th Warrior... In the immortal words of Alfred E. Neuman, "Ecch!" That movie was a watered down ripoff of Beowulf.

Here's some barebones info about the original Japanese Ring Virus.

21. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    I'll add a few movies:

Titus. It's a really powerful adaptation of Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus. It stars Anthony Hopkins and Jessica Lange. The acting, costumes, art direction, and music are all simply stunning.

Metropolis - A japanese anime remake of the classic 1920s silent film. The animation is quite stunning much like Princess Mononoke, though the style is a bit different.

Legend of Drunken Master (a.k.a. Jui kuen II, Legend of Drunken Master 2) It's a Jackie Chan Action/Kung Fu movie made in 1994. It's much better than any of Jackie's Hollywood movies. It's funny and has the best action sequences of any movie I've ever seeen. The story is set in early 1900s pre-communist China and features a rather unique fighting style.

22. Red_Jedi_Knight

Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    whoa the ring is a remake?!?! i didn't see that coming. i'm more than a bit amazed! i loved that movie btw. it was great the sound work on it was great and the make up wonderful. it wasn't just an 'ewww it's all bloody'scary movie it had a story!! wonderful!!

23. Jedi_Knight_Isadore

Jedi_Knight_Isadore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    OMG! Someone else has seen Dangerous Beauty. Everyone I have talked to never heard of it and it is one of my favorite movies. Also, if you are interested in period films, check out Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love. It is a Indian (as in India) film that has some beautiful costumes. Find the unrated version though, because some of the most important scenes were cut out because of nudity.

Some of my favorites:
    Dangerous Beauty
    Dangerous Liaisons
    Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love
    The Power of One
    Quills
    Life as a House (wet Hayden)
    Dogma
    Almost Famous (the director's cut)

There are a lot more, but my mind can't think right now.

Devan

24. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    I just finished watching American Beauty for the first time ever today. It was uncomfortable to watch at points, but overall it was a truly excellent movie. If you haven't seen it yet (and I was probably the last person in America to see it) I'd highly recommend it. 9.5/10

Jeff

25. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    :eek: Ohmigod! I can't believe I forgot about Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love! What a fabulous film! The costumes and scenery alone are worth the viewing! It's so lush and calm...

And it's also a great romantic story. Plus, I highly recommend the soundtrack, too (it's one of my staples to listen to when I find the time to write Han and Leia fanfic--"The Toona Song" is just haunting!)

Thanks for the reminder, Isadore! I could just kick myself for forgetting that one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.