main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Movies where the trailer is better than the movie itself?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DJT, Feb 13, 2018.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    batman forever is offended by that comparison.

Juliet316 and TCF-1138 like this.
  2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    300, particularly the Nine Inch Nails trailer.

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    That movie was worth it for the sleeping bag scene though.

Diggy and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  4. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    This ×1000. AOTC with Vader breathing as awesome images like vast amounts of troopers marching onto the star destroyer, and especially Anakin attacking with two lightsabers. They pimped the hell out of Anakin with the two sabers only for it to be like 3 seconds in the movie.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Sarge likes this.
  5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I loved the Watchmen trailer with the Muse's "Take a Bow". It got me hyped about the movie and upon my first watch in the theater I thought it was just okay. IMO Watchmen gets better with subsequent viewings.

6. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Probably more my own fault but I fall for the Transformers trailers hook, line and sinker each time a new one comes out. Then I see the movie and well, it's a different story.

Dagobahsystem and DJT like this.
  7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    And the Cronenberg cameo.

8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Yeah I'll take Jason X over Jason Goes to Hell any day and maybe even over Jason takes Manhattan

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Hell I'd even take it over Jason Drivels Derivatively.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The original trailer for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is legit one of the best trailers I've ever seen.

It doesn't tell you much about the plot; it's more about atmosphere building and the succession of shots is memorable and intriguing. It uses The Immigrant Song that will end up being used in the title sequence. And I first saw it in a theater before some movie or other and it was nigh on overwhelming. It was cranked up incredibly loud and toward the end when the title starts coming up, those bass notes were downright massive. I don't think I've ever heard such loud, intense bass hits in any movie I've ever seen in the theater.

The movie had its moments. But I genuinely still pull up the trailer online and watch it every few months just because it's so incredible.

11. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    That cover of "Immigrant Song" kicks so much ass.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    In fairness, most people who would've been interested in seeing the movie knew the plot already. If you watch the original Swedish version's trailer, it's pretty much taking for granted that you know that it's based on the Millennium novels.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002

Winner for all eternity.

14. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012

Find me a sampling of anything finer.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You're responding to the opinions of someone whose signature and user name pay tribute to a one dimensional gimmick that came up with the nickname "Skyguy".

Don't.

16. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
  17. DJT

DJT Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2017
    I thought the first Iron Man was the best. 2 was good but 3 was the most disappointing. GOTG Vol. 2 is only enjoyable if I've seen the first film.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  18. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

Spider-Man 3

DJT and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Wow, yeah, that is a really good one. Looks like an awesome movie.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    TFA pretended like it would be an original Star Wars film that was a bit heavy on homages and had a black main character.

I ended up seeing a modern day reshoot of ANH with a screwball black janitor playing comic relief.

Darth Guy likes this.
  21. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002

I think this is a really good case. 'Skyfall' was excellent and so I was really looking forward to the sequel. The trailer is great and really hinted that the portrayal of Spectre would be more creepy. It looks like it had all kinds of Kubrickian/Eyes Wide Shut kind of vibes to it. The movie is just blah.

The tagline :Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water" is probably the best tagline ever. The movie has it's moments with Roy Schieder always being dependable but the best thing about 'Jaws 2' was that tagline and the trailer

The Krynoid Man likes this.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I almost put that Spectre trailer up earlier. The teaser was the trailer that really worked. By even the first full trailer, I was feeling a little skeptical. But that trailer just has great atmosphere; the shot of Bond on the boat in the mountains is phenomenal and that whole "you're a kite dancing in a hurricane, Mr. Bond" line is fantastic. And I really liked the reveal of Waltz in silhouette. Very menacing, very mythic. All of which went right along with everything that Skyfall actually was, so it seemed like Spectre was going to be another gorgeous dark drama. And, yeah, it ended up sucking pretty hard. Lea Seydoux is about the only really good thing in it.

The Krynoid Man likes this.
  23. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

E! News Online quoted me for my reaction to that trailer when it dropped. I think I said something about it being eerie. GriffZ was also quoted in their article.

They probably should have just kept this as their teaser until the trailer dropped the following March. Instead they put out two other trailers within a month of this one.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018