main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Movies

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by echosevin, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I tried finding the old thread that we'd started but somehow I don't see it ....

Watched Stardust last night - what a great film! A funny, entertaining and fanciful story! I laughed so much! Robert DeNiro practically stole the show. And Mr. Weasley (aka Mark Williams) as a goat - ridiculously funny!![face_laugh]

If you like fantasy films, I would definitely recommend this :D

2. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Oh, and The Bourne Ultimatum - fantastic action from the get-go! Lots of great fights - really inventive. Matt Damon owns this role. Too bad this may be the last one....

This weekend - Superbad![face_devil]

3. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Yeah Superbad will be the greatest comedy of all time I can't wait.

ALL HAIL McLOVIN!!!!!!!!!

4. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    Still haven't seen Bourne U. LAst picture I seen was Pirates 3, mannn that was long and boring, liked Jack's dream/purgutory...and the end battles...and(always watch the credits). Overall, I should have waited for..(in cheap theatres.) I read Gaimans' Stardust years ago, still don't feel the rush 2 see it. Still the best movie of the year.....Grindhouse.

5. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    Yah Grindhouse was GREAT! I also really liked the Simpsons, it was like a leisurely Saturday afternoon where they have it on for two hours straight, but it was all new episodes....I love those days...

6. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Best movie of the year is TRANSFORMERS!!! Grindhouse was one good movie followed by a bad one. Planet Terror was great but Death Proof was good for the first hour then loses the audience with 45 minutes of talking and then tries to redeme the film with a car case.

7. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    I would have to agree with you about Transformers. Even after seeing it a few times.

8. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    The tops on my list so far this year:
    TransFormers
    Harry Potter: OotP
    Stardust
    The Bourne Ultimatum
    Hot Fuzz

....and more but I've watched far too many this year and my brain is short cicuiting and I can't seem to remember them all right now! The ones listed are the ones that really stand out in my mind.....

9. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    Myself.. I really liked Harry Potter. It nicely sets up the next 2 movies without giving too much away. Loved the spell fights... way cool!:)

10. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    I saw Bourne U. 2day. It was good, yet, I do think that the second one was better. "Ultimatum" was a mish-mash of the first&second film. Especially, when Stiles was bleaching her hair.

Grindhouse...my favorite of the year. Yeah, I concur, Tarintino's Death Proof (first-half lacked punch, with it's needless "Resevior Dog" dialogue.But seeing a 69' Charger go toe2toe with Vanishing Point's 70's Challenger is worth it. Rodriguez's Planet Zombie was far superior with it's beaten "drive-in" movie look.
    And the faux-trailers...how could you not love these?
    (My first drive-in movie WAS Raiders of the Lost Ark).

Transformers...the summer movie of this year...and here's a question to Yrol? Why was it not released in Imax?

Has anyone seen Live Free Die Hard?

11. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Would of been not as good in imax as I still think that forum of film is not that good only really like the cut of AOTC. Die hard was pretty good nice mindless action movie worth seeing on a lazy sunday.

12. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    You'd have to ask Spielberg and the rest of Dreamworks that question, Jack. It costs big money to convert a film to IMAX DMR. But the biggest reason I'm sure, is because Harry Potter had the slot booked for more than a year....

I really disagree with you Dooks - any film in IMAX is 100 times better than watching it on a regular screen. Other than actually having an actual digital theatre, with a digital projector, it's the closest thing you can get to perfection. The sound and picture quality in IMAX blows regular screens outta the water. Even if I didn't work at the theatre, I'd still cough up the admission price to see a good film in IMAX. TransFormers in IMAX would've been incredible to see!!!!

13. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    I totally disagree. The small square IMAX theatres do not allow for the proper dispersal of sound, everything sounds smashed together, like 100 bad speakers turned up really loud. That's why you don't see THX Certified IMAX theatres, they are not good enough.

The 'big picture' is total sham as well. I don't think I've seen an IMAX flick that was actually formatted for the IMAX screen since AOTC. Everything else is a theatrical print projected on a square screen resulting in a smaller picture than most theatres show. If they do 'reformat' a flick for IMAX, it results in a pan&scan bastardization of the director's vision. The tickets also cost more. It's a lose/lose/lose scenario.

Add to that (no offense echoseven) the GROSSLY INCOMPETANT staff at chinook, which can destroy any filmgoers enjoyment. When I saw Harry Potter a couple weeks ago, the sound for the first 5 minutes was out of sync, then there was no sound for the next 5 minutes. They wouldn't even start the movie over for us. It was a full theatre and nobody left happy. Something like this happens nearly every time I've gone there. Unless there is absolutely no choice, I WILL NEVER GO TO CHINOOK AGAIN.

On the plus side, the 3D is really cool.

14. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    As long as you don't think I'm one of those incompetant staff members :p

Everyone has their own opinions on what they feel is appropriate viewing for themselves. I'm sorry you seem to have a bad experience at Chinook almost every time you come out (but you have to admit, they've been pretty great the times you've come with me - I mean, free food and a movie?! That's pretty awesome o_O ). Normally, if there is a problem encountered during a movie presentation, they would give you a free pass for the inconvenience.

Chinook's IMAX screen is only 6 stories, compared to the usual 10 stories (which the REAL IMAX screens are, that only show documentaries). When they project a film that has been formatted for the IMAX projector onto the square IMAX screen, it can't be the same size, which is why it looks like a widescreen projection (AOTC was one of the few exceptions, but it cost LOADS to do. Which is why they didn't do it for Sith). It's still bigger than our other screens (with possibly the exception of the two auditoriums that seat 400, but even then, I think it's bigger). And as for sound, I still prefer the 40 speaker surround sound system that pumps out 10,000 watts - compared to the mere couple thousand in a regular auditorium. It doesn't sound mashed together at all to me.
    Besides, at least I won't get shot at while I'm parking the car :rolleyes:

15. TapeTrooper515

TapeTrooper515 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2007
    I remeber when I first went to see Episode I, they had the wrong film in the projector, so we had to all switch rooms. I don't remember if that was at chinook though, it seems so long ago for me...
    I went to see Stardust a little while ago and I ran into Veritate and DrHaggis at the theater. I've also been watching a lot of movies at home lately since I got my wisdom teeth pulled.

16. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Transformers Movie IMAX Release on September 21
    As reported in this article from superherohype.com, Paramount will release the Transformers Movie in IMAX theaters on September 21.

Even more exciting is information indicating there will be additional footage not seen in the conventional theatrical version! Stay tuned for more information on the IMAX release as it becomes available.

Taken from tfw2005.com gonna be sweet hope it comes here or it's road trip time.

17. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    I was there last night, for my 4th round of Transformers. We got out at 1230am, and the main entrance was (police) taped off, and we had to go to the total opposite end of the building to get out. Once out, there was tons of police tape blocking off the right half of the parking lot all the way to Chapters, and about 15 police vehicles. No ambulances or other emergency vehicles. And 2 news crews were packing up. Thankfully, I parked on the left side (facing the main doors), right along the road. The tape was almost right over the hood of my car, and there was a cop parked RIGHT in front of me, on the entrance road. Anyway, at least I was able to leave without incident.

I found out today what had happened. A little nerve-wracking.

18. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    What happened? Someone got shot at Chinook?

19. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Someone got shot at Sunridge last night.

20. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    That's a lot of info...I actually enjoy the majority of films in IMax, as the saying goes [that fits here] "bigger is better". Seen Batman Begins in Imax (twice)& have only seen it in iMAx theatres,
    wish I saw AtC in Imax 1st. before regular(going from digital/regular/Imax), Spiderman 2 Imax ?, Superman Returns 3-D Imax, "V for vendetta." The lesser presentation in this format has been "300" but then I saw it the last Thurs. b4 Spiderman 3 came. If U want 2 see heads being chopped off, and blood spilled, it has 2 be on a 12 ft. screen. A IMAX showing can make a lesser movie tolerable & Imax has always been a "gimmick 2 me".

There are ofcourse weaknesses 2 Imax too.(Seeing Tobey MAguire's pimples is one of them.)And I'm not 100% that widescreen is trully represented on Imax, since it's seems that the frame is just "blown-up". But U gotta give one 4 the other. As for the service @ Chinook, I can't complain, I know a projectionist @ one the discount theatres...and logistically it's a "pain" to reel 12 movies with 6 showings per day...let alone Chinook&Sunridge.(I'm guessing there's only one..Yrol). And lets not forget why we go to the movies...sticky shoes!

I'm there 4 Imax/Transformers! More footage? please tell me, it's MEgan Fox changing a hub-cap.

21. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Superbad was....super ridiculous! Crass and vulgar but quite funny!! Really had some good laughs throughout the movie. Some of it was truly unbelievable [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

22. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    Holy Alien heads on a Spear, Batman! The trailer for the new Alien Vs. Predator movie is online, and it looks to make up for Paul WS Anderson's attempt. Check it out at AICN or here to download the HD version, which I highly recommend. Please note that it's full of gore however, with people getting pwned by aliens and predators in more ways than you can shake a pair of wristblades at. It looks cool though.

23. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Hmmm.....I get the feeling they just took ALL the gore shots and just strung them together.

Still, though, I will hold out hope that is is still good.

24. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    AVP-R looks badass nuff said this movie is gonna be too cool I liked the first one but it lost some gore due to the pg-13 rating where as this one is rated r. And that R stands for Rad this one might be as good as Freddy VS Jason here's hoping.

25. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    Dooks, I love your enthusiasm, my friend. I can certainly see myself making another predator costume in the future, now that I've gotten some experience working with fibreglass. I'd love to sculpt my own biomask.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.