main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Movies . . .

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, Aug 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    Saw JP3

special effect great but short movie
    80mins

2. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    JP never really appealed to me, i think i must be one of the few people who read the book before seeing the movie, i liked the book though

3. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    is it really only 80 minutes!! That's not even a hour and a half. What a rip off.

4. farmboynz

Jul 19, 2001
    yeah surprised me too
    Movie started at 6.50 10 mins of ads/previews and finished at 8.20
    my partner loves JP so i took her
    i don't mine love the speical effects and blood and guts scene so enjoyed it

5. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    Saw Swordfish and Shrek at last.
    Shrek was cool, I'm stull umming and ahing about Swordfish. Wicked action shots and screenpay, but the flying bus thing didnt do it for me :)

yay for ghostbusters being on TV! that movie rocks.

6. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I've got ghostbusters on video. I love the scene where they take down slimer at the hotel. "He slimed me!"

7. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    when is it on?

8. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    you missed it, was on 2 weekends ago.

I also love the BTTF series/trilogy.

9. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Last night I saw Atlantis. It's okay, but some of the main characters are so badly animated it hurts the eyes, if you're used to better. All the background animation was at a much higher standard. The plot was like Homer's Odyssey cramed into 90mins. Nothing really had any impact because it was all coming on so thick and fast.

There was a lot of humor aimed at adults, funny stuff, but in the end it ruined the epic nature of the adventure. A couple of comic relief characters are fine, but when the entire cast apart from one or two are hiliarious, it's a bit much.

But it's worth a look, if you like cartoons.

10. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I've only seen the "behind the scenes" TV programme, but much of the background looked like it was done using 3D computer graphics and they then overlay the more traditional 2D cartoons.

As I've said before, this doesn't really work. :(

I've been watching/reading about this new Cats & Dogs movie. Does anyone but me think that this is just a rip-off of the Spy Dogs cartoon, which was showing in repeats on TV2's weekday mornings until recently - or is it supposed to be the movie version of the cartoon?? ?[face_plain]

11. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    There were a lot of computer effects. I think it wouldn't have looked so jarring, if they'd spent more time getting the lighting on the characters right. Often they looked like cardboard cutouts standing in a three-d environment.

It's a difficult effect to get to work right. I can remember it looking good in the chariot race at the start of The Prince of Egypt.

I wish they'd get away from the whole 'let's impress the audience' thing in cartoons. If I wanted to be awed by special effects I'd watch The Phantom Menace, not a cartoon.

12. Darth Sebious

Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 21, 2000
    I've actually been to a lot of movies over the last few months, much more than usual. I loved Shrek, liked Evolution (even though it was pretty close to Ghostbusters), and JP3 was above my expectations (which were pretty low). Didn't like Final Fantasy, and Planet of the Apes wasn't all that great.

I saw A.I. today. Excellent acting and design. As for the actual plot...well...I think it's one of those movies which every person is going to have quite a different take on. Don't want to give anything away, but I just think Spielberg was trying to direct too much like Kubrick. Spielberg directs well in his own style, he should stick with it. After all, Kubrick must have wanted him to direct for a reason...

13. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    final fantasy was great IMO.......

i might go see AI and tombraider at the end of the week, i am going to watch way of the gun tonight

14. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Saw A.I. today. I had a free ticket I needed to use up by the end of September, so I thought I might as well. I wish I hadn't because it was definitely not my kind of movie.

The design and acting were great, but the first two-thirds of the movie were very disturbing . . . some scenes belonged in a horror movie.

And the end, *spoilers*, I can't stand endings where they throw in aliens to explain things. ie. Contact.

15. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    heh, you mean like Mission To Mars?

i just went and saw Tomb Raider last night, it was ok, just felt it didn't really mesh, although there were some cool parts, the second shower scene was pretty funny, the dirty rascals

16. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I saw Enemy at the Gates on DVD last week, that was a really good movie and worth a watch. Pity about the accents though.

Also saw Tigerland, pretty good, but wasn't quite the war movie I was expecting.

And earlier on this week I saw Blow. Thought it was a really good movie actually. Well worth a watch too.

17. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I was looking at the pictures of the cast and CGI for the coming Scooby Doo movie at Corona - Scooby Doo.

All I can say is that they should chnage the name to Scooby DON'T. :(

As always, the live-action version isn't going to be anywhere near as good as the original cartoon.

18. farmboynz

Jul 19, 2001
    Trying to bring the movie thread back to life
    Gotham Comics did a special screening of Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back last night
    did anyone else go?

don't want to spoil it for others but very funny and heaps of star wars references as usual

19. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    ican't wait

20. Darth Sebious

Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 21, 2000
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to J&SBSB :)

And it's a little late, but those weren't supposed to be aliens, Kitt (although they did look like them)..

21. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Okay, this is really late, but I finally figured out that they weren't meant to be aliens a few months ago :D

Today, I had a darn near perfect day. In the morning, I finally got myself a job doing data collection for the Manukau CC. Had Wendys for lunch in town with one of my closest friends, and in the afternoon we saw Beauty and the Beast at Imax. Truly an amazing experience - you can tell why this is the only animated film ever to be nominated for a best picture oscar. Before hand we also saw the 'Circle of Life' segment from the Lion King. Anyone who's into animation has gotta see this!

Also, in the IMAX ad at the beginning, you see a couple of milliseconds of the blockade runner scene from ANH. You haven't seen a Star Destroyer until you've seen it on the IMAX screen!

e: oh, and in the Timeout at IMAX, there was someone playing the Star Wars arcade game, and he was quite good, so I got to stand around and watch all the graphics without having to spend any money. The bit where you get to duel Vader looks awesome!

22. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Star Destroyer onthe big screen! WHy didn't anyone tell me?

Kitt, are they showing it with every screening of B&B?

23. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Probably. I don't know if it's really worth it, unless you'd like to see B&tB anyway, because it's only a second or so . ..
    it's like an ad for Imax in general, and there's lots of short clips from Imax movies. They did the entire opening bit of ANH for an IMAX movie called 'special effects' which we never got in NZ, so it's just a real short clip from that. Still cool though.

24. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Saw Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back yeterday. Pretty ******* funny movie! :D Mark Hamill looked really weird with that yellow hair and face paint. The Lightsaber duel was hilarious. And there was references of sheep. [face_devil]

Anyone else seen it?

25. farmboynz

Jul 19, 2001
    Yeah saw it a while Back Lil_lisa
    Thought it was great

The cameo of Mark and Carrie were very cool

Thought mark's face paint rocked, not sure if it improved his looks thou

Loved all the star wars references

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.