main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Moving forward: Was killing off Han Genius?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedirush2112, Jan 22, 2016.

?

Do You want to See the Solo Spin Off even more now that Han is Dead?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    46.3%
  3. Same

34 vote(s)
    35.8%
  1. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I think that killing Han off was the most genius thing Lucasfilm and Disney did. Not only was it Bold and gave the series some much needed emotion but it creates even more demand for the Solo Spin off. Now every new fan would want to know who Solo was and they will flock not only to the stores to get the OT but to the new Spin Off on that well know character. I think Its brilliant! Now there are even rumors He might make a cameo in Rogue One. Could this be the beginning of the Demand for Han Solo?

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'm still not into a HS spin off movie,, Give me a teaser trailer and i'll see!!!

Dareth, Dewback and TigerCraneFist like this.
  3. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    it was inevitable, whether Ford was still pushing for it or no.

i'm having a bit of trouble reaching you on it expanding Han's appeal.

4. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I'll get back to you after I finish watching Episode IX.

AmySolo likes this.
  5. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Killing off Han Solo was what Harrison Ford wanted, even since ROTJ, and he got his wish in TFA, in the end... And what more dramatic way to leave the SW saga than by being killed by Solo's own son, of all people, in a huge SKB reactor?

In my opinion, that's the best way to send Han off into the sunset and at the same time, act as a means to push Kylo Ren as a cruel and heartless person!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

6. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I think it was the right decision. I can understand the fans who are upset about it, but we should not forget that it was Fords wish to have Han dead since TESB/ROTJ. That wish should be respected. And it seems that he made finally peace with the Han Solo character and Star Wars.

Regarding the Han Solo spin-off, I'm somehow both open but also sceptical about it. That one has both the potential to be a huge hit - if they find a fitting actor for young Han - but they also can it screw up massively.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I thought it served little narrative purpose in the film itself... and seemed to be included more to serve the actor. If Solo were to die, I think it would have been best left to VIII. That we didn't get a sense of any relationship with his son (Kylo), meant there was very little drama in the death scene... other than it being Han Solo's death. It certainly doesn't make me more excited/less excited for a Han Solo spin off.

8. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Sure, it seals Kylo's path to the dark side and shows the audience that nobody's safe.

Jedirush2112 and MeBeJedi like this.
  9. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Little narrative purpose? Righto.

But the Han spin off just isn't doing it for me. It'll take some good advance word of mouth to get me excited for that one

10. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    What was the narrative purpose then?

Ezon Pin likes this.
  11. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think it added some weight to the character of kylo. For me that act and how it was played out made him a villain to hate and showed that maybe his fall to the dark side was now complete. Also going forward how does it play out with Leia who felt her son could be brought back, how does she reconcile him killing han. What about Luke as well, surely that means he no what's to try and destroy kylo, (maybe that will fall to Rey in later episodes)

12. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    No, I don't think it was genius. It was a necessary thing that they did well. There have been rumors and reports that Harrison Ford has wanted them to kill Han since almost before I was born. They got the job done in a way that served the movie as well as the actor. Neither TFA nor the franchise needed Han to die from a creative standpoint. In particular, the missed opportunity for one last exchange between Luke and Han in the TFA era is a big loss. But they handled it well. Han dying in some wild self-sacrifice gambit to save the mission/planet/universe would have been asking for disappointment, and I am glad they avoided that.

13. Phteven

Phteven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    I can see what you're saying OP, that with Han now being gone, the only stories they can tell are what he got up to earlier in life. That ring any bells? Vader. But im on the skeptical side regarding a Han solo film (lol). It could be great. It could suck. I THINK disney will do a good job moving forward, but theres still some question marks. Han dying in tfa doesnt make me more or less intersted in a standalone film. If they make one it was never gonna be current or in the future. So whether he died or not is ultimately irrelevant imo. I feel like a han solo film will delve into the fun loving scoundrel side of him more than anything. More like icing on the cake instead of the sombre themes throughout the ST. So I dont see it going too in depth or at all into his relationship with Ben. So his eventual demise at his hands I dont see making much difference. At most they might hint at it. A throwaway line about it maybe.

Maybe im totally wrong but thats how I see a han movie playing out at this stage.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  14. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    Han's death turns the story of his life into a tragedy. To be killed by his own son when Han is trying to encourage him to come home.

Like others I wouldn't call it genius. In fact I think I would have preferred the movie if Han lived. If he was there with Leia and Rey at the end to celebrate, rather than have them in mourning while the others crowd around Poe in joy. And then went on to find Luke in the Falcon, waiting with, Chewie & R2 as Rey climbed the Jedi steps.

It echos what happened to Obi Wan, however it's way more meaningful and poignant.

Another result is that, it gives us a fresh start in regards to the story of the Falcon. And it's like handing the torch over to the next generation of heroes. It also makes Kylo more of a creepy psycho. I really hope Leia gets to confront him in the next movie and the full weight of his actions hit home.

Lastly, does his death make a spinoff movie more appealing? Nope, Han has always been one of the faves of the saga, the majority of Star Wars fans fell in love with him in A New Hope. His movie would have succeeded whether or not he lived or died in The Force Awakens.

15. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I'm not interested in the Han Solo spin-off, but I was also not interested before Han died in TFA (you know I'm not the blaster/pirates fan). Give me a Kenobi or Jinn spin-off and I will watch it in cinema (I want to see Jedi in action). :)

I'm also mainly interested in the Rogue One spin-off since Vader will show up and I hope the guys in the picture will become the Knights of Ren in VIII. :p

16. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    To me, Han's death makes any kind of spin-off kind of depressing like it is hanging over everything he does now...he's going to be killed by his son one day. I don't know, maybe if the movie was really good I could forget the dark future in store for him. I hope so. I do know I will see it!

And yes, for the love of all that is holy, can they please make an Obi-Wan standalone while Ewan McGregor is still young and willing lol

Davrum, Jedirush2112, SunStar and 7 others like this.
  17. jediela83

jediela83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    In a word no. It was done for so called emotional impact and to get Harrison to sign up .Only emotional impact it had on me was what!!!!!! I don't believe they did that in such a dreadfully soap opera. way. I think all of the original characters were used badly. I would have preferred that none of them were in TFA but their appearance probably doubled the profit level of the film. We are now stuck with a turgid Skywalker family soap opera far too reminiscent of the later EU books. Poor Kylo he's conflicted excuse me while I vomit!!! I will probably go see the young Han Solo movie out of curiosity but fully expect the character to be totally ruined for me by the end of it. I was looking forward to the Rogue Squadron one but as I hear Vader is in it I am now worried what they will do with him It will be interesting to c how much money the anthology films make. I doubt they will rival TFA we'll c.

18. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Genius, perhaps not. Necessary and proper, I think so:

-It closes out his character arc that began in ANH quite nicely.
    -It was a really well-done scene in general.
    -It gives more weight to Kylo as a villain.
    -I think that it will have lasting effects on multiple characters going forward (Leia, Luke, Kylo, Rey, possibly Lando, etc). Or at least it should, if they're smart.
    -Harrison has wanted Han killed off since the end of ESB, and this was possibly one of the conditions set for him coming back.
    -It clears up some room for other characters (both new and old) moving forward.
    -If you were going to kill off one of the OG Big Three, Han makes the most sense (Luke and Leia have more obvious/naturally-developing roles that could keep them around longer than Han does).
    -Etc.

So necessary, probably. Well-done certainly. Flat out "genius," ehh that's a strong word.

19. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Genius? No. In addition A spin off has the ability to ruin his character throughly . Absolutely hate the idea. Remember, Han shot first!

spacebaby45678 likes this.
  20. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Blame George for that nonsense change. If anything, I'd expect Disney to put that back the way that it was.

It doesn't really change my excitement level for the Anthology either way. I'm interested, basically because it's being directed by Lord & Miller, who are great up and coming directors, and being written by Kasdan (who's written Han fantastically in two separate films 35 years apart).

21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

You seriously don't see the narrative purpose? Sorry, I don't buy it. You can disagree with it, not like it, think it didn't work. But if you cant see the narrative purpose that was served by Kylo Ren's murder of his father, then you clearly don't understand narrative.

I've seen your posts over a long period, though, and you're not stupid by any means. I believe you don't like many aspects of the film, but no, I'm not buying that you can't see the narrative purpose. I'm not interested in false discussions. Honest debate is interesting to me, not this. If you're genuine, why don't you put yourself in the shoes of people who think it served a narrative purpose, and think about what purpose it could have served. Again; you're too intelligent to not be able to do this.

Dewback and DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR like this.
  22. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    All I'm saying is that it has the ability to ruin the lure of his character. Heck even Lucas realized his mistake, tried to make it better with another mod of that that scene. Leave his scruffy looking, scoundrel character as it is!

23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I asked a simple question. You didn't answer it. And with all respect, I suspect that's because, like myself, you'd struggle to explain the narrative purpose... because what's there is paper thin. Explaining it would only serve to highlight the effort needed in excusing the superficial nature of it. Which is fine, these things don't have to be Shakespearian... but let's not pretend there's more going on than there is.

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I wish they had done a Jedi mentor instead, like TPM and ANH. Leia (if she had been trained) or Luke would have fit that bill well.

25. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    No, that'd have been boring and derivative (and I've heard enough of those "rehash" complaints from some people already). Han is a "old mentor," but in a very different way that we'd seen before, which was good.