main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Moving forwards, what should be done with the Legends Material?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by A8T, Apr 19, 2015.

?

Which of these options most appeals to you?

1. A: I am happy with the current clean slate, were Legends can also be mined if needed.

39 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. B: They can do what they like with the New Canon, but I want the Legend stories to continue.

15 vote(s)
    16.5%
  3. C: I want as much of the best Legends material brought back into canon as possible.

17 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. D: I am interested in both options B and C.

20 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think the nuEU should incorporate favorite concepts and characters in new and interesting ways.

3. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    A week ago I would have said A. But after the reveal that the rumors about Rogue One being correct, I think Legends needs to be taken out back and shot. Take it out of print; stop selling the books, comics, and games. These aren't even valid as legends anymore; they're just completely being contradicted.

4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    How can they be contradicted? They're a different universe.

What's the big issue?

Why can't people separate the two?

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  5. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    That's pretty much what they did.

Keep in mind you're already complaining about an event which itself was repeated in Legends far too many times. To the point where if Legends WAS still canon, it STILL wouldn't matter because it'd just be the next version of the same thing.

I say D, though. If they want to release new stories in the old Post ROTJ EU, why stop them? But C is what I still think will realistically happen to most stuff before Rebels at the very least, and at least SOME Rebellion era stories (I agree that Shadows of the Empire should still be canon.)

6. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Who would be deciding what the best material was for C?

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Clearly, *I* will.

That is why I am so happy about the new continuity.

*puts on shades*

I am their secret continuity guru.

8. ATimson

Nov 19, 2003
    No, they're still happily reprinting and selling the existing material. They're not generating more, but they're still exposing the old stuff to new audiences. I think that should stop.

9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I am definitely surprised after how vocal EU fans have been that B is the lowest one. Are the EU fans who are sticking their nose up at the new stuff becoming less vocal or moving on or are they more interested in the new stuff then they let on?

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Why?

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I would lean toward B, but that would depend on whether there was a continuation of the post-NJO, because if that happens, I will be just as uninterested as I am in this new canon.

At this point it seems like my options are almost to drink from a well I don't want to drink from or despair for all eternity.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Well you know Zeta you don't have to be a fan of Star Wars anylonger and cause yourself all kinds of grief if you don't want to. Just find another franchise that you enjoy.

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Actually, I don't really notice a change in Zeta's posts to be honest. I think he's always been this way.

Albeit, his hatred is born from an utter loathing of the Clone Wars show and its continued existence taints anything associated with Star Wars.

14. ATimson

Nov 19, 2003
    As I said earlier in the thread: because the initial announced idea of Legends was that these were, well, legends. Things that probably happened, more or less, though the details almost certainly aren't all accurate.

But that facade's been pretty thoroughly shattered at this point. I'd rather LFL have the licensees just stop selling the old stuff like most licensors would.

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think that's just a name. I think it's a clear differentiation that one is an alternate universe and the other is the current new continuity.

Jedi Ben and Riv_Shiel like this.
  16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    That isn't exactly too far off base considering TCW and Rebels, which is drawing from TCW, are canon, while virtually everything I love isn't.

Abadacus, Havoc123 and Charlemagne19 like this.
  17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, I have perspective on the idea of you as a "hater" (whatever that means) and what you specifically hate is TCW. I still recall all the desire to get it retconned, marginalized, or declared noncanon.

It must be very frustrating Ahsoka was made a "pillar of the EU."

Just like WEG used to be.

I've been in that situation, truly, being the Force Unleashed's biggest defender.

darskpine10 likes this.
  18. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, I am too young to have experienced what WEG did firsthand, only how it influenced the EU starting with Zahn using it in the Thrawn Trilogy. Concepts like safe worlds and prefabricated garrison bases mean a lot to me.

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think we need more threads on the Legends stuff. Do you want it back? What do you want back? Was it the right call? Are the "bring back Legends" people good or massive douchewaffles? What do you miss the most? What do you want to see restored? What's an ideal outcome?

There's still plenty of fresh topics to cover, so I vote E: More Threads!

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  20. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't defend TFU when it undermines Interlude at Darkknell.

tjace likes this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I wanted to do the "Blue Milk of Melancholy" thread as a way to say goodbye to the ones which were gone but I understand the mods reasoning it was bringing the tone down.

Ender Sai likes this.
  22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

I do have a feeling that after the films start up and they prove to be well made and enjoyable 90% of the talk on here will be about the NEU.

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I was here when the EU was in full swing and people still talked about Marvel.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  24. jediknightleia

jediknightleia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    I voted for B, was the EU perfect no but I'm attached to all those characters and I feel like I'm still missing closure. I not a fan of them mining legends.

25. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    I voted C, for two reasons:

1. LFL is mining. They are going to mine, because it would be incredibly counterproductive to ignore 30-plus years of universe-building AFA dealing with little details that won't derail the ST and related materials.

2. I'd rather have the best mined than the worst.

And since they're going to mine, I want the old materials rereleased. I want that material around, easily available and not parsed, digested, and Wiki-fied, so future generations can know that those works - those characters, those events - took place in some version of SW.

Being able to judge the new against the old shouldn't be a "right" that only long-time SW readers have. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.