main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Moving Starfields created in AfterEffects

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Landofmilkandhoney, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Landofmilkandhoney

Landofmilkandhoney Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2001
    Well, just went through the tutorials in the nearby links, and didn't see anything that related directly to my question, so thought I'd ask:

I want to create starfields that I could have moving in the background of bluescreened scenes. My question is, how can I make that background move, not just be visible. We're talking, stars through a cockpit. Do I just make a really big picture of stars and move it around, and if so, what tool moves a picture over time?

And is the hyperspace star-streak possible in Aftereffects?

Thanks

2. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, you can just create a big old starfield and 'move it around' All you need to do is create keyframes and away you go. Position the starfield at point a, click/create a keyframe, then move along the timeline a bit, and move your starfield and click another keyframe, and away you go. Just keep doing this until you have the movement you want.

Now the good bit is next. The trouble with just doing the above is you will get really abrupt changes in direction. So you need to make the changes in direction smoother. So highlight all of the keyframes in your timeline, then go to ANIMATION > KEYFRAME ASSISTANT and EASY EASE. (If you have version 5 and up) this does exactly what it implies and slowly introduces the changes in direction (and does so easily.)

You can create a huge starfield easily using this tutorial BTW :)

3. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999

whoa thanks for the tip daft!

I forgot about easy ease.

4. Landofmilkandhoney

Feb 23, 2001
    Thanks for the tip! Any ideas on making the stars streak like going to hyperspace?

5. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    If it's in after effects, try a radial blur. Set on keyframe to 'normal stars' and another keyframe (a second on) with a massive radial zoom blur, probably with the brightness and contrast way up as well. It might work. I seem to remember using this last time around...

6. Landofmilkandhoney

Feb 23, 2001
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying some of this out!

7. Landofmilkandhoney

Feb 23, 2001
    Tried creating a starfield using the tutorial given. Worked okay, but while the final product is moving, the stars kind of become muted and shimmy. What's up with that?

8. moonz74

moonz74 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 24, 2002
    Here is one I am working on (first try)

[image=http://web.tampabay.rr.com/moondesigns/Animations/starspic.jpg]
    video

Moonz

9. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    if you have max, there is an EXCELLENT starfield tutorial called STARBLUR... just do a google, it's free.

But if you want to do it in AFx, here's an idea... place a bunch of odd colored sphered (like pinks or things that aren't in your scene) Put them in the background or something. (definately behind all your 3d meshes)

Now, couldn't you motion track those when you go into after effects?

It's just a theory.

Cya
    Mike

10. Landofmilkandhoney

Feb 23, 2001
    I'd like to see what you're doing, moonz, but the link is out.

Still haven't been able to get this sucker to work. Can't see why it's doing this blinky thing.

11. moonz74

moonz74 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 24, 2002
    Try the link in my sig and go to animations.

Or this....

Animations

Moonz

12. Landofmilkandhoney

Feb 23, 2001
    Moonz -

Checking out your site - you are doing some neat stuff, there. What are you using? I've got AfterEffects (production bundle) so I know I should be able to make what I want, but am brand new to the program.

13. Landofmilkandhoney

Feb 23, 2001
    Could the file type have something to do with it? I mean, would a star field made as a .bmp be better than one as a .jpg, etc. Could that be related to my shimmering background problem?

14. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    Are you definately setting your output render to 'Best' quality? If you aren't that could explain your dodgy, pixelly looking stars.

Is 'pixelly' even a word?

15. Darth_Apporth

Darth_Apporth Jedi Master star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    There's info on this on the Crew of Two website.

Basically you have to ramp up the exposure on the starfield to compensate for when the stars are moving.

Click here

16. MOEndor

MOEndor Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2001
    That's a good tip, Darth A, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.