main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ ...moving to NZ...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by padme_skywalkr, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padme_skywalkr

padme_skywalkr Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2002
    Hello everyone! I just stopped by your boards to see how active the fandon in NZ is. I am planning to study aboard for a summer & wanna get to know fellow fanz. Still not sure whether I am going to Auckland or Wellington...Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Wellington, as you probably know is the capital and Auckland is the biggest city in NZ.

Both have pros and cons (I guess) Auckland has a much more open feel (not closed in by hills and sea) and Wellington sucks basically. :p

Come to Chch - best of all. Fantastic city - really laxed and awesome country near by.

3. Mr_Deflok

Mr_Deflok Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2003
    Basically if you live outside of Wellington you'll have bad grammar and one of your relatives will be married to their son.

4. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    [face_laugh]

Bollocks... but funny and true for SOME parts of the deep south of the south island.

If your choices are Auck's and Welly. Go Auckland. :)

5. DrMaul

DrMaul Jedi Master star 1

Dec 24, 2000
    There is so much variety in Auckland (and yes, I have lived in a fair selection of representative towns/cities between and including Dunedin and Auckland ;) ) that whatever your preference for environment and lifestyle, you should be able to find a region to meet your needs.

6. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Welcome to the kiwi corner of the JC, padme_skywalkr :)

Both Wellington and Auckland are great cities, and I'm sure you would be happy at either. Whichever one you choose, you can always visit the other while you're here anyway.

7. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
  8. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Hello padme_skywalker. :)

I live in Auckland
    myself, don't know much abut Wellington except it's windier 8-}. So come to Auckland!

9. Mr_Deflok

Mr_Deflok Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2003
    I think I single-handedly scare Padme off, it's not that bad really, it's only the South Island that are inbred.

There's no denying that Auckland is a great city but living in Wellington is far more peaceful.

10. padme_skywalkr

Nov 21, 2002
    I am from San Francisco & have poly blood so there's no scaring me..lol...so where & how often does this group meet? Do you guys have any big conventions during the (my) summer, (your) winter...just wondering cuz thats my favorite past time....any costumers apart of this fan force?

11. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    We're not big on meeting up in the North Island, though we have done a few times. There is a few of us in Auckland though, and I'm sure we'd be happy to meet up to give you a kiwi welcome.

We have two big pop culture conventions called 'Armaggedon' in the North Island, one is held in April in Auckland, and the other in Wellington, in September.
    There are a few fans around into costuming ... there's a 501st chapter, of course, and I know Chans has been making a Vader costume. I know we had someone posting here in the past who was really into costuming in a big way.

If you're interested in polynesian culture, I would definitely recommend Auckland. We are the city with the largest population of polynesians in the world, and so there's lots of cultural expression. The biggest polynesian festival is Pasifika, held in March.

12. padme_skywalkr

Nov 21, 2002
    I was leaning towards Auckland more anyway...They have the art program Im interested in.
    I really want to go to a convention & the festival but I will be in NZ from mid May to August(ish)...With all the Ep3 hype I may have to pospone my trip till 06 but Im doubtful...You guys have been real helpful :)

Check out my site when you get a chance...
    www.PadmeSkywalker.info

13. DrMaul

Dec 24, 2000
    Cool website.

You can see pics from our last Armageddon convention here and here, and a huge gallery from the one before here.

The local 501st Garrison obviously doesn't have any rebel/Jedi costumers, but will of course support anyone with an interest in costuming or prop-building. Our website is www.ANZGarrison.com.

14. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Someone got colours. :p

VIP eh? How'd you swing that?

15. padme_skywalkr

Nov 21, 2002
    A very nice Star Wars friend....I watched 'Once Were Warriors' at like 3 am and once again cry my eyes out....

**I need a NZ ticket from Christmas** :D

16. Admiral_JasterMereel

Admiral_JasterMereel Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Hey, padme_skywalkr...

I went through the same thread here, only earlier. Within the next 5-10 years, I plan on moving to Wellington, New Zealand. Nice to see another CR moving.

You Rebel Scum!
    ~Bôba Fe++

17. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    Excellent more future forum members!!

18. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Fresh /\/\347.

:D

We will welcome thee with arm's that are in an open jesture. :)

19. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
  20. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Sadly, padme_skywalkr passed away in hospital today. Very tragic, as she was only 23.

I've made a thread for us to share our sympathies over in San Francisco Fanforce, where she was CR:

Condolences from New Zealand fanforce

21. DrMaul

Dec 24, 2000
  22. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    WHAT? :eek:

Oh my gosh, that's terrible news. :(

23. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    What a saddening loss. Chanel (Padme_Skywalker) has finally become one with the Force. Her adventure will be something greater than anything we could possibly imagine, whether in our own quiet moments alone or sitting together watching Episode 3. Her journey is now somewhere greater and more beautiful than our minds could ever grasp without experiencing it for ourselves.

We shall meet again in that place where all luminous beings must go.

May The Force Be With You, Chanel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.