main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Moving to Philadelphia in October...

Discussion in 'Archive: Philadelphia, PA' started by Abhors Elder, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

Hey everyone. I've been holding off on posting this until everything had become official, and now it is.

In October I'll be moving to Philadelphia to attend the Art Intstitute of Philadelphia for a Visual Effects & Motion Graphics degree. I've been accepted since December, but just today got notification of a $50,000 scholarship for tuition, so now I know I can afford to go :p

I look forward to hooking up with you guys while I'm down there :) As you can see, I'm already a CR for Maine, so I'm anxious to continue to attend events. I'm also a 501st member (TK-1887).

Just thought I'd introduce myself ahead of time :)

2. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    congrats man, It will be nice to have u around. Please come to meeting and events we will love to have you!

3. PlayzOboe

PlayzOboe Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    Congrats on the acceptance and the scholarship! Definitely join us for meetings and such. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong someone please) the next convention in Philly is WizardWorld in June, then of course there's Shore Leave in Baltimore in July which some Philly members attend because it's generally an awesome convention and it's only about 2 1/2-3 hours away. Just watch out for the carpet, it'll blind you (No more carpet jokes, I promise!)

4. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

Thanks for the welcome, guys :)

Unfortunatly I won't be there until October, so I'll be missing this years Wizard World. We had one in Boston last October, and it was very fun. I'll be looking forward to attending one next year in Philly.

As for events outside of the city, I can try my best to make it to those, but it might be hard as I won't have a vehicle :p

Thanks again! Can't wait to hang with all of you! :)

5. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Like I said on the 501st forums, if there is an event you want to get to, someone will help you out. :)

6. latetowork

latetowork Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2006
    Congratulations! Be proud, that is the largest amount of money I have heard them give out there. Good stuff.

7. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

Thanks again for the kind offer Wendy, and everyone else for their good words :) I can't wait to get to Philly!

8. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Congrats on the scholarship! Hopefully we can give you a nice Philly welcome when you arrive.

9. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Mug him and steal his shoes?

10. Saberwielder315

Oct 14, 2004
    No I was thinking about taking a nice drive through the park, then smearing hair gel all over him, and then tying him up for an eternal viewing of Sin City [face_laugh]

11. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

12. F16WarBird

Aug 5, 2004
    Mmm hmmm. Did you pre-order your copy of "Brokeback mountain"? :p

13. Saberwielder315

Oct 14, 2004
    No, but I was going to ask you if you pre-ordered Knight Rider season 4? [face_laugh]

14. F16WarBird

Aug 5, 2004
    How do you know there's a season 4 on DVD?

You are SO "full of glee"!

Here, I think you should go listen to this:

[image=http://www.dhasselhoff.net/hasselhoff.jpg]

15. Saberwielder315

Oct 14, 2004
    Hmm, you found that quickly enough, is it in your personal collection? :p[face_dancing]

16. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002

I am in envy! I so wish I could get into the Visual Effects industry. back in 1996 I was really wanting to leave Temple to persue the Visual Effects or CGI animation path after I saw the IMAX movie F/X. I was soo desparate to do this and started to call scholls and look up information. But the Art Inst of Philly and Temple's Tyler School of Art did not even have anything like that then. I was looking for cgi animation or some visual effects but it was not part of the criteria for either school. I was soooooo disapopinted. That was back in 1996 when I was going to Temple. I had art classes in High School and the art teacher recommended I take the arts path for my careerbut like I said there was no cgi or 3d animation or visual effects back criteria in Philadelphia at that time. But of course about 4 years later, I see a commercial for Art Inst of Philly and it was advertising for their CGI program!!!! AAHHH!!!!I did not know it cost so much to go there. It is that a program longer then 2 years?

17. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

Even nowadays its hard to find school that offer Visual Effects degrees, and even harder to find ones that won't blow you out of the water with price, and also have housing.

Yeah, it's a 3 year Bachelors degree.. You only get a 3 week break during the summer, but you get the degree faster. I found a lot more schools that offered 3D animation and modeling by itself (including the University of Maine), but that specififcally is really not what I wanted to do. Guess I got lucky with AI :)

18. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I was more looking for 3D animation and modeling myself. I recently found a scholl down in Florida that just offers that and was reasonable. Daves School animation I think it was called. Thogh I do not think I can do that. now My wife would not be happen if I moved don there to go to this school and they want the money upfront. And it is not guaranteeed I would get work after I graduate so it jsut seems my dream is just a dream. So good luck in AI. I hope to see some good Vis F/X from you in the near future.

19. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

I was briefly looking at DAVE as a possibility since they offer both Digital Animation and Visual Effects degrees, but the fact that they don't have any housing down there cut that short. AI pretty much combined everything I was looking for, and gave me a butt load of money to boot :p

20. PlayzOboe

Apr 8, 2005
    I was recently checking out Curtis in Philly...they said that for the Bachelors they don't want you auditioning if you're older than 26 :p I hate it when schools have an age policy (official or unofficial)...especially for voice majors because the classical voice isn't fully mature until your 30's anyway!!! Blah enough of my rant

21. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

20 days until the move :D

22. F16WarBird

Aug 5, 2004
    We'll make sure we have enough rubber gloves for the initiation.

23. PlayzOboe

Apr 8, 2005
    Ahh and so the countdown begins...did Joe mention that the gloves will be worn by all the guys in the group? The women will just stand around and laugh at everyone ;)

24. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

Why isn't this the first time I've used the '[face_worried]' emoticon in a post here?

25. F16WarBird

Aug 5, 2004
    [image=http://www.bbraunusa.com/latex/graphics/latex2.jpg]

Just try to, relax. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.