main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

W.VA Moving to the Clarksburg area

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by DanJericho, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanJericho

DanJericho Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2001
    Hello.

In about a week, I'll be moving from southern Arizona to the Clarksburg area. Yeah, it's for my job.

Well, I've never been involved in FanForce before, but I figured it might be nice to have some friends in the area before I get there.

Side note: I am fairly active over at OriginalTrilogy.com. My username there is dpk5e7 and I made what I think is a pretty cool DVD. If you're interested, look in the "Lightsaber Duels" thread in the "Preservation and Fan Edits > Star Wars Releases and Ongoing Projects" board.

So, I'll be working in downtown Clarksburg, but I don't know where I'm going to live yet. If any of you have any suggestions, I've greatly appreciate it. (I don't want to live any farther than the southern edge of Morgantown.)

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Zoomer

Zoomer Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Firstly, welcome to the area!! Hope you like it here. It'll probably take a bit of getting used to, especially the weather. But I think the area, and the people will grow on you after a time. (My own biased opinion)

I think it would great fun to create a lightsaber duel on film. Several of us have Force FX lightsabers, and one of us has production equipment. Maybe we could generate some interest in something like that.

As far as housing goes, I guess that depends, like most anything else on how much you can spend. There are plenty of decent places to look,in and around the Clarksburg/Bridgeport area. I can personally recommend a good real estate person too. Her name is Precious Culp at Mountain State Real Estate Services. If you'd like her business cell number I can give it to you. Just let me know.

Once again...Welcome..
    Lee

3. DanJericho

Jun 27, 2001
    Thanks Zoomer.

Actually, I've been working a bit with Bev Crosby over at Mountain State Real Estate Services. I just wanted to know if there's an area that any of you would suggest to stay away from.

My Lightsaber Duels DVD isn't a fan film. I took the duels from the 6 movies and cut them in a way so that they run really fast (cut out all the shots of other people doing other fighting). But, if there's interest in making a fan film, I'd be happy to help out. I haven't tried my hand at special effects, but I'd be happy to help with editing and DVD authoring.

4. Darth_Raptor

Darth_Raptor Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002
    Welcome to the area!!

I'm not sure what your looking for in a house or community. The bridgeport area will be very close to your work, and the mall and strip mall. Lots of very nice homes and neighborhoods around there. Welcome aboard, hope to see you at the next meeting!

Rap

5. -Fettish-

-Fettish- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2003
    Hi! *waves*

Hey, I lived in Flagstaff AZ for a number of years... Where in southern AZ are you from?

6. DanJericho

Jun 27, 2001
    I live in Sierra Vista and work on Fort Huachuca. Yeah, a whole 20 miles from the border. If you watch the news and see all the stuff about the Border Patrol, that's the county I live in.

7. -Fettish-

May 7, 2003
    I had a friend out there who was from Sierra Vista!

8. Dotanis

Dotanis Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2002
    Of course that was before they went to trial... ;)

9. DanJericho

Jun 27, 2001
    Hey guys, where do you go to work out/exercise? What does anyone think of the YMCA in downtown Clarksburg? Is there anyplace with an indoor track?

Thanks.

10. Zoomer

May 22, 2005
    Exercise??!!? Do people actually exercise???

Actually, I exercise at Skateworld in Bridgeport on Tuesday nights. Skate session from 6:00pm to 8:30p. Then we play recreational inline hockey from 8:30 to 10:00p. I also lift weights at work.

If you like to skate, and like hockey you're welcome to come play with us. It's great fun, and we play minimal contact hockey.

Lee

11. DanJericho

Jun 27, 2001
    :) I've never played hockey before. I did date a figure skater once and she tried to teach me to hockey stop, and, well, my feet stopped, but the rest of me didn't. I'm really more of a baseball and football guy. I like lifting weights and trail bike riding too.

Tanks.

12. Zoomer

May 22, 2005
    I've never actually played ice hockey either, in fact I've never ice skated. Morgantown had the closest ice rink. We play on inline roller skates. I have to say though, for the $3 we pay to play, its an incredible work out.

When you say bikes, are you talking dirt bikes, or mountain bicycles? I do both. I have a Yamaha 125 dirt bike, and a Trek mountain bike. I'd like to start riding again this spring and summer.

Lee

13. DanJericho

Jun 27, 2001
    I meant mountain biking. I've also got a Trek. I grew up and went to college in Missouri, and we have this great rails-to-trails deal called the Katy Trails. It's a bike trail that follows the Missouri river from just west of St. Louis almost to Kansas City. When I moved out to AZ 3 years ago, I was disappointed that there wasn't anything like that out here. We just have really dangerous mountain bike trails that are actually on the mountains. About a year and a half ago, I slapped some road tires on my bike and went back to MO to ride in the MS150. We did 150 miles (more like 155) in two days. Fun, but a literal pain in the rear.

I would like to learn to ride a dirt bike though. Looks like a blast. I guess I'd have to learn to ride a motorcycle then too.

14. Zoomer

May 22, 2005
    I thought it would be tough to learn to ride a motorcycle, but if you can ride a bicycle, then you can ride a motorcycle. Only difference is that you shift with your left foot, and you have a clutch that you squeeze with your hand. It's pretty easy.

If I can get a new middle chain ring, maybe we can ride the rail trail to North Bend State Park this spring. I haven't ridden for a few years, but hopefully skating had kept me in shape.

The North Bend Rail Trail runs about 40 miles from Salem to the State Park. It's a good trail. I've ridden it a few times. There are some tunnels along it too. One is pretty long, close to around 1000 feet. Maybe longer.

See you at the meeting if you can make it..
    Lee

15. -Fettish-

May 7, 2003
    There's a rails to trails thing here along the river too. My husband and I go bike riding there when the weather is fit. It's really pretty...and you always see some kind of wildlife... :)

16. Zoomer

May 22, 2005
    I've ridden that trail before. If I'm not mistaken it was planned for that trail to eventually link up with the North Bend trail. For all I know they may have finished that part by now. Maybe Fettish would know, but did they connect the trial in Fairmont with the one in Morgantown? I think they had planned to.

Lee

17. -Fettish-

May 7, 2003
    Yes, its connected all the way to Morgantown, then proceeds to the state line. Starting in Fairmont by the recycling plant, it is paved all the way to Prickett's Fort. The rest is still the cinder/gravel mix...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.