main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mozilla Firefox

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FatBurt, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I've just downloaded Firefox and will be installing it later this evening as I've heard it's better than IE.

Does anyone else use it and what are your views of it.

Cheers

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    it's very very good

originally the best bit was the auto pop-up blocker, but now IE does that too.

However, best bits are - tab'd internet pages, and the ability to right click on any word/image etc and autosearch using google

3. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005
    Its very good, very similar to IE as in the usuability and the interface. It can block popups and all sorts and will be an improvement.

4. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    Awesome, it also has a whole host of extensions that you can install :)

5. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    It's V.good and seems less likely to be hijacked by nasty homepage viruses etc.. In fact the only reason I still use Internet Explorer is because I'm used to it...

6. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    I use it as my default Browser. its Excellent, IMO

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm liking the basics of it so far.

Easy to use etc....

I think I'll stick with it.

I'm working on over clocking next [face_worried] need a bit more beef for a couple of game I have and my system is considered to be highly overclockable (I'll start small)

8. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    Make sure you have a good cooling system if you're going to overclock otherwise you will end up shelling out for a new CPU and that ain't fun I can tell you :)

9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I know that it's 'better' than IE< but I can't get used to it. Every time I try, I go scuttling back to IE. I'm comfortable there, and not demanding of any major alterations. So yeah, for all it's advantages, Firefox can't win me over.

10. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Internet Explorer 7 will be out next year. That'll have tabbed browsing and I assume most of Firefix's other features too.

11. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I have vast amounts of cooling on my system, Hard drive fan, CPU fan (Obviously) and an exhaust fan.

If I'm not wearing socks and I'm in front of my PC it's like having an arctic breeze blow over my feet.

I intend to start working upwards in small increments though as I've never overclocked before so I don't want to kill my PC.

12. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I too can recommend Mozilla Firefox as a web browser, even though I use Opera myself. Anything is better than using the aged-disaster that is IE. The best bits about FF are the extensions and themes which are quite a novelty for first time users, however you may notice the more you add to FF the slower it becomes. It is certainly worth using, however be weary of the FF fanboys who will have you beleive that FF is the solution to all of lifes problems - it isn't, but its certainly worth using instead of IE.

The reason I personally use Opera is because its way faster than any browser I have ever used (inc FF and IE), and according to Secunia amongst other orgainsiations it is considered much more secure than FF and obviously IE. To add to that, if your happy to get your hands dirty, you can customise Opera in as many ways as you can do with FF, and it has many of the "desirable" extensions built in as standard, e.g. mouse genstures, RSS client, e-mail client etc. Its a free download and certainly worth looking at now, especially since it went ad-free.

[face_monkey]

13. Baza

Baza Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2005
    I tried Firefox for a brief time but ultimately, I couldn't get used to it. I know it's better than IE but since I've been using IE for so long, I can't get used to any other browser.

It's stupid, I know, but until I develop some patience I'm still a slave to Microsoft.

14. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    I have been using Firefox for ages, it has some very good features that can be put to use for <cough> special purposes <cough> .

15. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005
    Yeah, i know what ya mean moylesy [face_mischief]

16. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    I don't :confused:

17. TheDarthVader

TheDarthVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    I also use firefox. However, I still need I,E as bad code in some sites does not work in firefox (I think thats the reason).

18. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    You'll find thats a big problem for many alternative web browsers, because many web sites don't follow the correct web standards. This is a wide complaint from people I speak to about Opera, when they claim Opera "renders pages wrongly" - actually you'll find that its lazy developers who can't arsed coding their web pages properly. Opera did introduce something called the user-agent spoof (I'm not aware of a similar thing in FF)which tricks web pages into believeing that it is actually IE (or Firefox, or Netscape!), and there are many UserJavaScript work arounds, but sadly these are often beyond the capabilities of the average net user.

The web is starting to come into line, and Mozilla Firefox must take some credit for this. The more people use web-standard compliant browsers, the better.

[face_monkey]

19. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    I took the plunge and installed Firefox yesterday.......

....have to say, not that bad :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.