main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MPEG 4 codec : Ultimate codec solution

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Darth_Lord, Jul 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Lord

Darth_Lord Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2000
    Hu everyone !
    i found that the MPEG 4 codec for AVIs is finally available for free here : SigmaDesigns

It is far better tha divx5, for the same file ans same quality i got 1.5Mb with divx and 400 Kb with MPG4 :cool:

you guys should really try it, coz it kicks ass !!

Oh : it's only working with PCs and windows, so mac users will have to wait for apple to finish their quicktime version [face_laugh]

2. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Oh : it's only working with PCs and windows, so mac users will have to wait for apple to finish their quicktime version [face_laugh]

Oh well, I guess that just means that all the GOOD fanfilms can't be encoded in mpeg4.

3. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, where would we be without macs...

They do everything a PC does...

*hehe*

4. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    I think what he's getting at is that he found something good that works. Might not be the best fanfilm solution, but still... get off his case.

~DK~

5. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I can't find a download link.

6. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO

QUI_TIN_TARANTINO Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    http://www.sigmadesigns.com

had the same problem he'd left the .com off the url.

7. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    I guess that just means that all the GOOD fanfilms can't be encoded in mpeg4

No, there are many other fanfilms out there that was made on the PC, Knightquest, SDM and an any film using 3ds max

8. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    had the same problem he'd left the .com off the url.

No, I'm smart enough to ad the com at the end...

I mean I can't find the place to download the codec at the site.

9. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    goto Productions>Consumer Products> Software

10. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    Wait for Quicktime 6 this october. they'll have mpeg-4 video and audio compression, as well as some other kick-butt audio compressors.

11. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    QT6 sucks, you cant use On2 with it, atleast with the beta

12. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    that's why it's a beta, not meant for production use

13. Admiral_Ant

Admiral_Ant Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    hmm..interesting I must say, and this may sound stupid ,but, what can play things in mpg4?

14. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Macho he said no good fan film can be released on mpeg4 if you want to show EVERYONE ... if u realese a good fan film on mpeg4 u sufficiently cut off a large portion of ur possible audience..

15. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    PC can do anything a MAC can do too. I could kick a MAC users ass anyday, lol. Hehe, JK. But still... the operating system doesnt matter. And NO, if you buy a MAC you are not instantaniously nor in short terms superior to PC users if not EVER.
    With XP pro giving NO crashes AT ALL and having a huge integrated and reliable hardware detection system, I don't really see the point of the MAC being the best anymore. Everyone will have different opinions of course... but SGI is the god of all computer systems! :D Mwuhahaahaa!

Carl

16. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Man you people take things too seriously. Get a sense of humor.

17. Admiral_Ant

Admiral_Ant Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    sorry, I mean what software could play mpg4....quicktime? the player? ect...

18. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    quicktime 6 will be able too. the beta is on their site too. but i wouldn't recommend using it for production use until the full version comes out, around october.

19. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I personally don't like Macs. I've used Maya for MacOSX, and it seems buggy, plus it's a Maya 3/4 hybrid, affectionaly called Maya 3.5... I run XP Professional, and it's great, especially with my dual cpu system. I had a low-end box running Solaris for a little while, but it got outdated and i couldn't feasibly afford to upgrade it.

20. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm kind of hoping that this MPEG 4 codec will become THE codec for all of us in the next year. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the compatibility issues sort themselves out.

21. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    Well, the QT6 full version is out now, so hows about somebody give it a spin and see how the MP4 codec plays.

Later- Jeremy

22. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    I filled out all the info at the site and it leads me to the page that has the download now link on it, and it leads me back to fill out the info I already did. Can someone help me out here?

23. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Ok i tried out the mpeg 4 codec for quicktime and Windows Media Player

i took the footage of my ship lifting off (most of you have probably seen it..) and compressed it into 4 different files with NO SOUND.

The origional footage is 307 megs uncompressed.

The first one i compressed to a .mov to be played in quicktime using the DEFAULT settings for the quicktime mpeg4 codec
    File size: 5.90 MB

The second file (again compressed to .mov) was compressed using On2. Again the settings were on the DEFAULT.
    File size: 1.37 MB

The third file was compressed to .avi using divx (just to point out both avi files compressed in no time flat :p) again settings were on DEFAULT
    File size: 931 KB

The last file was compressed using the codec posted in this thread. And once again settings were DEFAULT :p
    File size: 1.01 MB

The two avi files were similar in appearance altho the mpeg4 codec for avi's was SLIGHTLY better quality.. but both were of lesser quality when compared to thier quicktime coutner parts. The quicktime files were about the same where the mpeg4 one was slightly better.. but then again it should be its not as compressed :p

now perhaps if i sat around and tweaked the codecs i might have obtained better results.. but i didnt have the time.. and i figured the default on all the codecs should give a good idea which one is best in terms of quality AND file size.

if everyone had the ability to run divx i'd say everyone should use divx... but not everyone can so i say go for on2

as for this version of quicktime (QT6) it sucks :p wont play on2... had to run off the other computer :) so the post about qt6 being available .... is wrong :p thats the beta still .. otherwise apple would have made u download it with qt5's auto update :)

24. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Nope it's not the beta, it is the full thing. One of the major benefits of MPEG-4 is it's scalability, it can go a lot smaller than your tests, it can also go a lot larger.

25. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    i guess ill have to go back and play with codec settings... maybe it would be easier if i knew good settings for all 4 codecs :)

the reason i put defaults were it was a time saver and i wanted to see what each could do straight out the "box" (so to speak:p)

as for the comment about qt6 sucking (or possible beta still..) i was being sarcastic.. but i still want to see on2 work with qt6.. cuz it apparently doesnt (at least on my machine..) also qt5 is still the one apple makes you download (if you dont click the qt6 link) when you go to the movie trailer section ..

anyway ill see if i can post an optimized comparison of the codecs later

edit:
    did a little digging (i knew i'd seen AAC b4 somewhere :)) AAC is the dolby digital mpeg4 audio codec... its rather nice in comparison to the competition (WMA and MP3) much better quality sound and file size .. u can see some graphs of the out put and such here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.