main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mr/Ms/Mrs

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Tekli_theInsane, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tekli_theInsane

Tekli_theInsane Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2004
    Do people in the GFFA reference adults with titles like Mr., Mrs., and Ms.? I suppose it would depend on the culture, but I was writing yesterday and I realized I had no clue if they did. Thanks for any help! :)

2. Bobbacca

Bobbacca Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2003
    I think most parts of the GFFA do. i can't remember any particular examples, but I think I've seen people referred to with such in the X-Wing books when lacking any other title.

3. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Master and Mistress is common. I've also seen Mister, and Threepio uses "Miss Padmé" in AotC.

4. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    DOYY pretty much got it. :)

5. Tekli_theInsane

Tekli_theInsane Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2004
  6. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Mr is actually an abbreviation of "Master", the pronunciation just got mangled. Same with Mrs (missus). It's a mangled for of "Mistress". Ms is Miss, with a slightly different pronunciation.

Bit of random trivia.

Dana

7. jedi_keladry

jedi_keladry Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    Of all things, my mom came up with one solution. I have a fic I'm cooking up, and I don't want to use "Master Kenobi," because Master was his Jedi title, and it's intertrilogy, after the purges. I wanted to make a very different feel from the prequel movies. Then Mother remembered Battlestar Galactica, which i used to watch obsessively when I was a kid. Everyone who didn't have a military title was either Sire (male) or Sirus (female). So I used it, and Ben is Sire Kenobi.

8. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Master does not necessarily mean the Jedi rank.

Remember in AOTC when Sio Bibble called Anakin "Master Jedi"? Even though it wasn't correct, since Anakin was still only a Padawan. I believe the correct addressing from a non-Jedi person would be "Master Padawan" (master being the equivalent to "mister" here, not the Jedi rank).

EDIT: Also, Threepio in TPM called Anakin "Master Anakin" and Luke "Master Luke". But then again, they WERE his masters-owners...

9. jedi_keladry

jedi_keladry Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    Master does not necessarily mean the Jedi rank.

Oh, I know Master has several uses. I just want to make it sound different, read different, to create a distinct feel for that fic I wrote. Hence, Sire Kenobi.

10. Jedi_Bant

Jedi_Bant Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2004
    Well, I know Threepio uses Master and Miss several times so I guess it must be allowed but I think it sounds better if it is *Master* not *Mr* and maybe even *Miss* or *Madam* not *Mrs*....

11. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    One of the X-Wing books had "Congratulations to Master and Mistress [nameIcan'tremember] on their fifth wedding marker!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.