main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mr. Plinkett's review of Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bib Fartuna, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    This will be one of the more interesting things I am looking forward to post Episode VII.

I wonder if the woman will make it out of the basement?

Darth_Articulate and Darth kRud like this.
  2. IsoBanValian

IsoBanValian Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2004
    She already did. She gets 'revenge' on him in the 'Revenge of the Sith' review. heh

3. Matsemitsu

Matsemitsu Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    You really shouldn't encourage that unfunny moron.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm also looking forward to it - I think his review of Star Trek '09 proved the character can be just as entertaining reviewing a movie the writer enjoyed as one they didn't enjoy, so regardless of how Episode VII turns out, it should be a good watch. Although I wonder if they'll just do a Half-in-the-Bag for it.

V-2 likes this.
  5. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    What do you mean by that? Has that got something to do with the woman in the basement?

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, Half-in-the-Bag is RLM's other review series, which they've been focusing on a lot more lately. I enjoy them a lot, they just don't quite have that Plinkett je ne sais quoi.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Agreed.

Andy Wylde and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  8. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    episode vii reaction

[​IMG]

V-2, windu4, Darth Chiznuk and 3 others like this.
  9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Surprised this attention seeker hasn't already got his "review" online?

10. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I, for one, want him to have all the encouragement he can get; I think Mike Stoklassa is a comedic genius, and his Plinkett reviews are the funniest and, equally important, the most educational discussions of film, and of the arcane arts of what makes for a good or a bad story, that I've ever seen. His edgy humor isn't everybody's bag, there's no denying that. But I'm actually deeply grateful that the man has, ironically through a skewed revival of the old comedy-drunk character type, actually elevated the art of film criticism by removing the haughtiness from criticism and keeping everything that's informative and instructive.

That said, I have no idea what he will say about Episode VII; we don't even have a comment from him on the news this last week, and for some reason I jave a strong feeling he will devote a little Half in the Bag roundtable discussion to the topic. I know only that, whatever he thinks, I just want him to be honest (not that I've had to worry about that until now). I don't have to agree with his opinion; I just want to see an insightful, well-thought-out, well-defended argument laced with absolute gut-busting laughs - everything he's great at.

11. IsoBanValian

IsoBanValian Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2004
    Actually..those dudes are hilarious. And extremely smart.

They gutted Episode I...but they were right on the mark, I'm sorry to say.

(I'm reminded right now of Snape talking to Bellatrix when she scoffed at Dumbledore. "He is a very great wizard...only a fool would deny it." :) )

Those guys were right on the money with the Prequels...

A writer can learn more in 90 minutes watching the Phantom Menace review than they can in 2 years of film school. Seriously.

Narutakikun, V-2, Norminator and 8 others like this.
  12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm sure liking him and his reviews must have to do with how much you dislike the PT. I must like them an awful lot because his reviews bore the crap out of me.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  13. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Funny thing is, no, that's really not true, at least for me. He loved some films he's reviewed, and hated others. His commentary for Episode IV - A New Hope is loaded with praise for the film, and it's still funny to me. It's really not a question of whether I agree with his opinion; it's a question of Was I taught something new about the filmmaking process? Was I given an argument that makes sense, even if I don't agree with it? Was I given at least one funny joke or jump-cut every five minutes?

Funny thing is, I never came into those reviews hating the prequels; my feelings about the prequels were simply uncertain before I saw those reviews; I knew there was something about them that wasn't working for me, and instinctively I'm sure I knew what it was, but simply wasn't able to verbalize it properly. Plinkett verbalized it for me, and he provided me with so much evidence from the films themselves that I had to condede him the match; he was right. He won by sheer force of argument. I never felt bored, and if you do I can understand that - I just can't relate to it.

V-2 and Bib Fartuna like this.
  14. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    stop liking what i don't like

15. BowtiesAreCool

BowtiesAreCool Jedi Padawan

Nov 2, 2012
    I hate hate hate HATE RedLetterMedia. Unfunny, annoying, and just plain wrong on some accounts. The very definition of "grasping for straws".

I get that many people don't like the prequels and even I know they are very flawed movies but DUDE, he just goes way too far.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't hate Plinkett's reviews. They're okay. I find the voice annoying as hell and he (they? whatever) doesn't know the meaning of "concise." If your review of a film rivals the runtime of the film, something's wrong. I think the fans are more annoying in that they seem to think the reviews are particularly insightful just because they're long and rambling.

I say this as someone who generally doesn't like the PT.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Stoklasa can have whatever opinion he wants. But even if I agreed with him, his rude, obnoxious, racist and sexist manner--with sexist arguments being his sole rationale for disliking the A/P romance--would turn me off.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hmm, I don't remember that. Truth is I always got bored and my attention drifted well before those videos were over (same as the PT! zing).

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd rather watch Boy Meets World reruns. You can learn more about the unbearable lightness of being from three minutes of Cory Matthews than you can from seven hours of random youdude.

20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Counterfeit money, maybe.

Plinkett reviews are a waste of time
    /LM

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The entire joke - and I mean the entire joke - is that the utterly detestable character of Mr. Plinkett nitpicks the hell out of these movies. Part of the humor, then, comes from the implication of what this says about people who nitpick movies incessantly.

Alternatively, you may choose to believe everyone has the same views as the characters they write and portray. Ergo, I guess we can assume Bruno Ganz hates Jews, because he played Hitler once.

Saintheart, V-2, Norminator and 3 others like this.
  22. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Hell, I thought his dissection of the Anakin-Padme romance subplot was some of his most sublime work.

Stikman3, windu4 and IsoBanValian like this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    His argument was that "all women behave in X manner or like X behavior in a date" or its equally offensive counterpoint, "no woman likes X or behaves like X."

Yeah, because none of us are individuals, we were all cloned from the same XX chromosome type on Kamino. And of course every viewer that isn't "stupid" views Anakin and his behavior exactly the way Stoklasa does, there are no possible other interpretations.

Ramza : That's fine, except that Stoklasa has been quoted as if he wrote the gospel on filmmaking. It's the equivalent of people quoting Archie Bunker when giving a serious treatise on race relations.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If the mark is fallacious reasoning, they've surely hit it.

25. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Is X a symbol for starfish?