main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mr. Plinkett's review of Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bib Fartuna, Nov 4, 2012.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Oh man, people are upset about Lucas using the term "laser sword" behind the scenes? After nearly 14 years I believe the bottom of the barrel is finally being scraped.

Andy Wylde, V-2, Arawn_Fenn and 5 others like this.
  2. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    it'll be interesting to see mr plinkett reviews of Episode VII, i love redlettermedia reviews, but i prefer the armchair directors reviews of the 6 movies.

V-2 likes this.
  3. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Personally, I won't give a bantha's backside what Mr Plinkett has to say about Episode VII. Some people will find his reviews hilarious and that's fine. Some people will think that his comments are the very epitome of wise and insightful reviewing, and that's also fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - as long as they let the rest of us enjoy Star Wars in peace.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I was honestly quite annoyed when I heard Jake Lloyd say that line when I first saw TPM on opening day.

5. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm a fan of Mr. Plinkett's reviews. I tend to skip the background non-review basement storyline that's stuffed in there, but a lot of what he says hits the mark. I mean, he's just pointing out some basic cinema, narrative, thematic and story telling techniques in his reviews and why something is or isn't working. The guy sounds like a fan of Star Wars, of a lot of geek universe stuff, but that doesn't sway him from making a point or two. You don't have to agree with him or find him funny, he's just making a review of a film. That's it.

His Prequels reviews are brilliant at times...but I love his Star Trek: TNG movie reviews to much more. I loved TNG and hated what happened to that cast in films... sigh. lol

V-2 and vinsanity like this.
  6. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I never knew that he reviewed the Star Trek TNG films .... will have to find them...

7. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I actually like the use of the term "laser sword". I think it adds a much needed sense of plausibility to fantasy worlds when characters call a thing something other than it's common name.

V-2 and Eryndil like this.
  8. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Seeing he's big on Star Trek and JJ is directing I think he'll go easy no matter what. It's what we call bias :)

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm surprised that "no clear villain" is considered a problem. I rather like it when it isn't completely clear who is and who is not the villain. Having all the characters' motives spelled out for me, worked when I was 5 and first saw ANH (with the good guys and bad guys being so in-your-face that the main good guy is dressed like a monk and the main bad guy was wearing black armor) but as an adult I'd rather have a few more blurred lines and a bit more of a twist.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Moral ambiguity is good, or the story being told from a moral relativist perspective. I didn't like the simplistic form Lucas used to explain Anakins switch to the dark side.....a little less moral absolutism would have worked. One day Anakin is this....the next day he does that and is now evil. It just didn't work for me. Dead horse at this point. I think they're hinting the new series will be more philosophical so I think we may be in for a more complex look at human nature this time around.

11. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Yup. Professor Tolkien would approve. As well as his buddy Gandalf, the White Rider, Stormcrow, good ole Mithrandir.

V-2, Eryndil and Darth_Articulate like this.
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "Wipe them out. All of them."

PLEASE HELP MY NAME IS STOKLASA AND I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHO THE VILLAIN IS.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    WIN. =D=

Andy Wylde, LawJedi and Valairy Scot like this.
  14. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Agreed with is.