Mr. Star Wars Contest at DragonCon!

Discussion in 'Atlanta, GA' started by RosieWook, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RosieWook Jedi Knight

star 3
    The Hothlanta Rebels are pleased to announce the first annual Mr. Star Wars Contest!

While girls might appreciate a handsome face, what they really want is a guy who knows his Star Wars!

It will be held on Saturday, August 30th, at DragonCon in the Matters of the Force room. We'd like each club to send their representative to goof around with us on Saturday night and compete for a fabulous title!

Check out the application and come join us for some fun at Mr. Star Wars 2003

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail us at MrStarWarsPageant@yahoo.com or post to this board.
  2. trianiigirl Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd just like to say that I cannot Wait to see this... Star Wars Whoose Line? And more!

If you need any fangirly-type help at all with any of it... just give me a holler!
    I'll be around the whole Con.
  3. RosieWook Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hah! As if any Hothlanta Rebels could get out of duty when they show up. 8-}

We are hoping that the contestants will have fun with this. No high pressure beauty-type contest. Just playing around.

It could be the start of a grand tradition!
  4. Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA

star 6
    I've sent in my application. :D
  5. RosieWook Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hooray!! Our first applicant!

I mean, anyone who can make origami X-Wings has to be in the competition. 8-}
  6. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I knew Dylan couldn't stay away from this contest. ;)

Be prepared to wow the crowd. :p
  7. stacey113 Jedi Master

star 4
    I am trying to convince 2 of my guys to enter. I will let you know soon.
  8. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Tell them that this is all in good fun and that we're not going to be taking ourselves too seriously. :)

The more, the merrier! :)
  9. Technoviper Jedi Knight

star 1
    This all sounds like such great fun...I wish I could go! :(
  10. stacey113 Jedi Master

star 4
    Mandy, see if you can convince TallonKaardgamer to enter. I tried to talk him into it, but he seems hesitant.
  11. Tenel_Ka Force Ghost

I like our first applicant. This is going to be hilarious.
  12. Toymaster Force Ghost

star 4
    Yay! Dylan won. Nashville is now the home of Mr. Star Wars 2003. I think they're already changing out some of the billboards coming into town! [face_laugh]
  13. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

All of the contestants did a great job! It was hard to judge the contest, but Dylan put on quite a show. ;)
  14. motf-jan Jedi Knight

star 3
    It was the funniest show. Everyone did so great and I could see that alot of thought and planning went into it. I truely hope you can do it again next year!

Congrats to Dylan, he was the coolest. Is he married? <lol>

Your hosts did a great job, my hats off to any girl who can wear a Slave Leia costume! And the filker entertainment was great= Although just a slight note for next year, my 11 year old was in the room and it got a little blue. Perhaps a little forwarning might be in order. I've heard worse, and seen worse and so has she, so it was not big of an issue, but for smaller kids it might have been. (And Cathy would have had a stroke if she had been in there<g>__
    ttyl
    Janet
  15. Maleficant Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It was great!!! I had 2 friends make it into the final 5!! I thought the guy with the guitar was great as well, I spotted him later and told him he was the real Mr. Star Wars!!

I hope you guys decide to do this again next year!!!
  16. Meriwyn Former RSA

star 4
    This was hilarious!! Great job guys! Our very own ObiWill took second place :)

*sniff* I'm so proud
  17. Jace Darkrider Jedi Knight

star 3
    Will definitely was Mr. Star Wars material. I think the fact that he has a girlfriend strongly puts him out of the running though ;)

As for the lyrics of Mr. Star Wars, I understand the concern for warning, but I have 2 points to make on defending it. One, it is after 10PM, and that is usually when the major adult stuff starts popping up at DragonCon (and the real world in general). Two, you're at DragonCon. I've seen more graphic adult costumes walking around the dealer's room at 2 in the afternoon than what was said in his song's. D*C really is NOT a kid friendly convention.
  18. ObiWill Jedi Master

star 4
    The Mr. Star Wars contest was the highlight of my weekend. Thanks for everyone who rooted for me! :: winks at the judges and ducks a slap from girlfriend :: ;) :D

Does anyone know the name of that filksinger? I'd love to contact him and see if he's got his music in MP3.
  19. Jace Darkrider Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hi Will:

The guy who wrote and sang that dang-tastic Mr. Star Wars theme is Adam Selzer. HEre is his website for the lyrics:
    www.adamselzer.com

Congrats again! My theory on why you didn't win is because you have a cute girlfriend. Doesn't seem right for a SW geek to be dating for some reason. That's why I didn't enter the contest, I figured being married would disqualify me for sure! [face_laugh]
  20. Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA

star 6
    Yep -- my perpetual singleness is a definite tiebreaker against Will. :p
  21. RosieWook Jedi Knight

star 3
    Just so there's no confusion, we didn't allow any of our local guys to enter since it was all local club members doing the judging. If we can succeed in getting either celebs or a mixed panel next year, then it's open season!

A very big thanks to everyone who came out and supported us. And thank you for laughing! We wanted it to be fun and it looks like people had fun.

A big thanks to Evan and Karen for hosting; especially Karen who got up in front of everyone in a Slave Leia costume! 8-}
  22. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I would like to thank everyone who supported this event, and my fellow Mr. Star Wars planning committee members: Paula, Evan, Karen, Sharon, Luci, and Carol 1.0. AND, a big thank you to our favorite filker: Adam. All of you did a great job! :D

Several of the contestants told me that they might want to make a run for the title next year, and I hope that they do so. I was very pleased and impressed with the bravery and ingeneousness of every single one of the contestants. Guys, the contest would not have been as successful as it was without all of you. Thanks for helping us have a terrific time. :)

23. Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA

star 6
    I'll be there to crown next year's winner. Maybe we could do it like in "Whose Line?":

The winner gets to do a little something special with me, and the losers have to watch the Holiday Special.
  24. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    Mesa thot this was so funny, mesa nearly peed in my pantsa. Yousa be ready for me to take that crown away from you. WHOA-HO-H0-HO-HO-HO!
  25. motf-jan Jedi Knight

star 3
    As for the lyrics of Mr. Star Wars, I understand the concern for warning, but I have 2 points to make on defending it. One, it is after 10PM, and that is usually when the major adult stuff starts popping up at DragonCon (and the real world in general). Two, you're at DragonCon. I've seen more graphic adult costumes walking around the dealer's room at 2 in the afternoon than what was said in his song's. D*C really is NOT a kid friendly convention.

True-and you don't need to defend the lyrics. No one is disputing the right to use them. But you can't use the old 10pm excuse-not in the MOTF room. Everyone knows Cathy keeps that room squeaky clean and family friendly almost all the time. So most long time con-goers would not expect this type of subject matter. Then we get into a whole moral debate about Star Wars, etc and I won't go there. Skin doesn't bother me, foul or sexually explisive language does, other parents may have a different view. That being said, that doesn't ban you from doing things the way you did. A simple " This panel may contain adult oriented material" etc would be all that is needed. Then I, as a parent can make the choice on whether or not to have a child present.

Your right, DragonCon at certain times and certain places can not be kid friendly. But alot of it is and over the years I've learned to Navigate around any non appropriate things. Its not Exotic Con or Fantasm and kids will always be there.

Please don't get me wrong, I loved the whole program, thought it was well done, and very funny. I support you doing it again next year with perhaps a longer time slot. All I ask is that if you, as planners feel that the material may be somewhat not appropriate for children that you say so. Then if someone complains, you simply say hey, you were warned. Then it is on the parent. Assuming that "everyone" knows the con goes to the gutter after 10 is a bad assumption. After midnight, a better one, but at 10pm many of the older teen and tween age kids are still up until at least 11pm which is when the last program track ends. Most of the track programming does stay pretty clean until this time. Again, skimpy clothes doesn't always imply sexual situations. IE: Sorry, Leia in slave outfit doesn't equate bondage fettishes. At least not to me anyway. ;-)

This was my 7th year at this Con, and I spent 4 years on staff so I know when things go in the toilet. Newbies, however don't know and don't believe you when you tell them. I had newbies with my this year who insisted on keeping teenagers out till 2 am and then complained about how discusting it was. Even though I told them to come back to the hotel with the rest of us "normal" folks.

It's just always better to cover your bases in advance.

thats just my 2 cents.

Janet
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.