main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mr. Star Wars Contest at DragonCon!

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by RosieWook, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Janet,

Your suggestion of warning folks about possible explicit material is not a bad idea. Those who are veteran Dragon*Con attendees sometimes forget that not everyone realizes just how adult things get after 9 or 10PM. I will bring up your suggestion with the current Mr. Star Wars planning committee. I don't see why we would have a problem with making a short announcement at the beginning of the event warning folks of adult material next year.

2. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    I definitely think a warning is cool.

It is always interesting, yet disturbing, when I see kids running around the con at 2-3 in the morning. I saw a boy and a girl who were no more than 10 years old casually walking by one of the girls covered only in caution tape. That's where I have to definitely question parental responsibility.

That being said, Janet, Forewarned is definitely fore-armed.

3. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    I know I wouldn't let any kids of mine run willy nilly around Dragon*Con after 9:00PM. Heck, I'm appalled by some of the costumes and I'm 30 years old. ;)

Jace definitely had a point earlier in that after 10:00PM, most panels don't give warning. Perhaps more should, because young teens are usually allowed to stay up later than 9:00 or 10:00 PM.

On a different note, Jace's and Mrs. Darkrider's LOTR costumes (Frodo and Ringwraith, respectively) were tasteful yet two of the coolest costumes at the con. :)

4. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    OMG Jace was one of the Frodo's??? My friend Heather was Frodo too. She and my friend Dion won the LOTR costume contest as Frodo and Aragorn.

5. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    That was awesome! [face_laugh]

I agree about the warning though, I'm glad my nephew and sister decided not to come to that part of it! I can just imagine my nephew asking some really...interesting questions... :p

God bless!

-Malz

6. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    The folks who won were friends of yours, Meriwyn? They did an awesome job on their costumes. :)

Well, I'm glad we didn't scare you off, Malz. ;)

7. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Yup, I was in the Evening in Bree costume contest as Frodo and my wife was a Ring Wraith. Heather definitely deserved to win for her costume, I will honestly say that. Dion looked pretty cool too. Sadly, we didn't place anything in the contest. I guess girls dancing with no shoes on is better? Maybe I should get my wife to show some Nazgul leg next year while dancing a jig for the judges? ;)

8. Malz4JESUS

Apr 12, 2002
    I wish I would have gone to some of the LOTR stuff! But I was confused enough just trying to find the breezeway and the Dunwoody room I stayed with that stuff... :p

And y'all can't scare me off that easily Mandy! ;) :p

God bless!

-Malz

9. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    A Nazgul dancing a jig would get my vote. ;)

[face_laugh] @ Malz!

If you attend Dragon*Con next year, you'll find it a bit easier. Almost 50% of your first year at the con is spent learning where in the heck everything is. :)

10. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Yep Mandy they were! :) Heather is a friend of mine from California who I went to Celebration 2 with, and Dion is in my 501st garrison. To top it all off...that was Heather's very first sewing project EVER. I'd say she has a natural talent that she needs to explore deeper...LOL

11. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    That was her first sewing project ever? :eek:

I'm very impressed. As I have said many times before, I can't even hem pants well. ;)

12. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    I made Dion's Aragorn costume including shirt, pants, jerkin and duster. Turo made his belt and gauntlets. :)

13. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    Most impressive craftsmanship!

Congratulations!

14. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I still haven't received any photos of my heroic attempt, kids...wheres the link, and where's the love? snif* snif*

15. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    If you go to our website, you'll see a few pictures there. More will be forthcoming when our web gal gets back from her honeymoon. :)

Oh, the website is down at the moment, but I hope that it will be back up shortly.

16. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Heh. In case I wasn't enough of a Star Wars geek... my assigned patrol zone and radio call sign is now "327", starting February 1st. Seriously. Now all I need to do is get badge number "1138" and I'm set. :p

17. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

That's great! LOL!

So Dylan, are you ready to show this year's Mr. Star Wars contestants how its done? ;)

18. stacey113

stacey113 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    So, Rebels who do I have to pay off to get my sweetheart Tallonkaardgamer to have a better shot at winning? (wink wink nudge nudge) But seriously, we will be working on his performance so he will place higher in the contest and hopefully win.

19. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    We hope to have a panel of "celebrity" judges this year so that even guys from the Hothlanta Rebels can participate.

So, as much as I would like to take your bribe, Stacey, I can't. :p ;)

20. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    You can bribe me to be unfunny this year, if you want to. :p

21. stacey113

stacey113 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    That might actually work, Dylan!

22. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

All of our contestants last year were hilarious! The scoring between the top four was rather close.

I am really looking forward to the contest this year. I do believe it was the most entertaining "panel" I attended. ;)

23. Malz4JESUS

Apr 12, 2002
    It was the most interesting one I attended too Mandy! :p

[face_laugh]

That was hilarious! :D Can't wait for this year's!

God bless!

-Malz

24. Sereana_Nightstar

Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2002
    Well, I am sorry I missed it. I am replanning my schedule for this year so I can see more.

25. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    He should find Ms Klingon Empire and have a mock battle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.