[MS] Mod Squad Update from Last Week to 7/7

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Night4554, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Mod Squad Update

Comings, Goings, et al

<ul>
    <li>dehrian was on vacation until July 6th. He's back.
    <li>malkieD2 was promoted to Moderator
    <li>Jedi_Humaira_Blaine and I were made Managers
    <li>Spike_Spiegel will on vacation from next week until the end of July.
    <li>Sape was on vacation this weekend. He finally changed his colors back.
    <li>Dantana is 23 today. I hear she's female. Swarm at will.
    </ul>

New Toys

Managers now have access to Style Management tools. The bulk of Style Managment will still be in the hands of the Tech Admin, to provide consistancy and because access to the server is limited for security reasons.

Documentation

The topic of Documenting common procedures (like promoting moderators) was brought up. No one objected. It has lain dormant since the 1st.

WNU

The topic of putting the Welcome New Users link in forums was brought up, then adding a cat description, discussion is ongoing.

Those

Problem Users were discussed. Some were banned. Problematic Users were discussed. Some were unbanned and under observation.

VIP

A user was brought up for VIP status. We're waiting for the word from Josh.

Spoilers

A few questions about if something is or isn't a spoiler.

FanFiction

FanFic mods discussed Monthly Indexs.

<span style="color: Black;font-weight: bold;font-style: normal;background-color: Yellow;text-decoration: none;border-top: 1px solid Black;border-bottom: 1px solid Black;border-right: 1px solid Black;border-left: 1px solid Black;">Teh Yellow</span>

Things got a little out of hand with a shockingly blinding banner in 3SA. The banner has been taken away, you may rest your eyes. Discussion continues on the implications of the banner.

¤Night
  2. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Can the maker of Teh Yellow banner be perma banned ? :p

Innappropriate./>
  3. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I really have nothing constructive to add except "Happy birthday to me!"

No, no, I don't think the maker of the banner should be banned. I, personally, found it amusing.

Dana
  4. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    josh has final approval over VIPs?
  5. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    I think it became that way when he was made Head Admin.
  6. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Still innappropriate.
  7. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    I think it became that way when he was made Head Admin.

Absolutely not!

This one just happens to be a special case. I requested Josh's presence for this one as there was an "issue" within the last year that required his input for this one.

Also -- for those of us (like me) not in the know... what's up with the yellow banner? I don't see any discussion in MS, though I might not be looking in the right spot...
  8. comet1440 Force Ghost

star 4
    I should be made VIP for being cool :cool:
  9. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    I found the banner to be amusing, though maybe some users may have not found it amusing, it was meant as a joke and not to be permanent.

10. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
    DP, what happend was thre was a 3SA baner/color scheme that was ALL bright yellow and black.

Basilcly a sape joke.

lots of pple were blinded.

It was funy cause of all of teh drama (and locked threads) it spawned. I say make it the Comms banner :p

It wasn't appropriate the first 2 times, a fourth will get you more than a warning
  11. xie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Those

Problem Users were discussed. Some were banned. Problematic Users were discussed. Some were unbanned and under observation.

HELLO :)

And congrats to malkie who is cool. And hot.
  12. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
  13. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Does that mean DarthPsychotic is back ?
  14. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Implications of the banner: We found out who was mature enough to hanle it and who decided to be a drama queen. ;)

Also, a strait documentation about how mods are promoted sounds like a great idea. :)
  15. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Managers now have access to Style Management tools. The bulk of Style Managment will still be in the hands of the Tech Admin, to provide consistancy and because access to the server is limited for security reasons.

Could you elaborate more on this? I'm guessing this basically means that Managers can now change banners/css styles in their respective forums?

Things got a little out of hand with a shockingly blinding banner in 3SA. The banner has been taken away, you may rest your eyes. Discussion continues on the implications of the banner.

Sorry about that guys, I made the banner as a gag to go along with the yellow movement the mods started. It was only supposed to stay up for a couple of hours. On my own monitor, it really didn't seem that bright. But in viewing it on an LCD later on, I could see what all the fuss was about.

That being said, I'm still a bit dissapointed at the way this was handled (on both sides).
  16. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Could you elaborate more on this? I'm guessing this basically means that Managers can now change banners/css styles in their respective forums?

It means that Managers can add, edit, and delete styles. Of course without access to the server, we can't upload banners or stylesheets. And we want to remain consistant with the way the Headers and Footers are coded, for both standards compliance, and other automatic script-related reasons. I *think* Managers could always change the style for a forum (I was promoted along with the changes so I'm not 100%)

¤Night
  17. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Managers could always change the styles of a given forum. Now they can also edit the styles. Generally speaking, they won't. We're going to keep the bulk of our images on our own server so we can be more sure that the images will be what we expect them to be, and the staff are keeping the access to the server restricted. On the other hand, if Night or dp4m or another technically inclined manager wants to tinker and make a few improvements in things, I have no problem implementing the changes (if I agree with them ;)).
  18. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I would like to thank night for writing a MS update with no pop-culture references to wade through, and without annoying unnecessary HTML that will render the update useless if, sometime in the future, he steps down.

Well done, and long may the trend continue.
  19. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Mah goodness, it's lil xie!

And I agree with what jp-30 said about the no-frills update.
  20. -Lord-Vader- Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  21. xie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I deserve my own update or somthing. Or maybe just like $10 paypal.
  22. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    Wey hey, it's everyone's favourite zee.
  23. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    I would like to thank night for writing a MS update with no pop-culture references to wade through, and without annoying unnecessary HTML that will render the update useless if, sometime in the future, he steps down.

It's why I never write my updates with HTML... ;)

(pop culture is timeless though...)
  24. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    > (pop culture is timeless though...)

Some is. But much of it in the MS updates is waaay too USA-centric for my liking.

And when there are more words written in the mod-squad update theme "wrapping" than in the actual information, well... it's overkill, IMO.

25. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I tend to agree with jp. If there is more substance to the quotes being used than the actual information itself, it is overkill.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.