[MS] Mod Squad Update from Last Week to 7/7

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Night4554, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Nice, clear cut update, Night. =D=

*I'm throwing a party to celebrate both our promotions* ;)

Congrats fellow manager. :)
  2. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I like the straightforward, easy-to-read update, Night. :) Friendly without being too fluffy and laden with pop culture references I don't understand. ;)

The topic of Documenting common procedures (like promoting moderators) was brought up.

Kewl. But I thought G-S already wrote something official about promotion procedures, didn't he?

The topic of putting the Welcome New Users link in forums was brought up, then adding a cat description, discussion is ongoing.

Also kewl, especially for forums where a lot of the new members head first, like the Episode III forums and CT.

Finally, xie is back. Doubly kewl!
  3. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The yellow/black 3SA banner seemed to be more deafening that blinding cuz it left you speechless. It sorta made your scalp go into spaz and your hair stand up to attention. :D :D :D
  4. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    When I make a MS Update, I'll use more HTML than Sape in three, and overuse quotes from "Der Schuh des Manitu" or something! Ha!

Welcome back, xie! :)
  5. handzik Force Ghost

star 5
    Does anyone have a screenshot of that banner? I'd like to see it for myself.
  6. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    ask the maker? ;) (of the banner, I mean, not zerosleep :p)
  7. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    pm grimbythehutt I'm sure he still has the banner hosted on his server :)
  8. Kimball_Kinnison Force Ghost

star 6
    Kewl. But I thought G-S already wrote something official about promotion procedures, didn't he?

What G-S wrote was focused on what needed to be done after the candidate was selected. THe effort that I am leading is to document the entire process, from identifying the need for a new moderator to actually promoting the individual. It expands on G-S's efforts, not replaces them.

I also hope to revamp the Informational Threads and include many, if not all, of the moderator procedures there. This will hopefully help reduce the amount of confusion and drama surrounding many aspects of MS actions.

Kimball Kinnison
  9. Ewok15 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks for the update Night!
  10. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Dark Lady Mara, in reference to your comment about the WNU link in other forums...

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking too. It will be of use to both the newbies who would like to figure out what to do as well as the mods/managers. :)

11. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    The procedure we follow is the same each time. But given that people come and go, it'll be nice to have it documented.
  12. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    (pop culture is timeless though...)

I'd agree. The Transformers Movie update brought tears of joy to my eyes..

And nothing is better than a solid "itty bitty ditty bag" reference.

Which represents the seperate issue.

The MS update is friendly way for the forums to get to know each member of the adminsitration.

I think most people view them as a community builder in their own right..

Some is. But much of it in the MS updates is waaay too USA-centric for my liking

It could be, but they are also ways to have everyone experience a bit of international pop-culture.

Why couldn't a mod from Australia build an update around the tradition of hanging cork from the brim of Outback hats?

Or a Londoner mod build in references detailing this "Mighty Boosh" craze..

Not everyone is going to have the same connection to the references, but they sure beat having a generic update every week...
  13. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Hooray for Xie's return! :) :) :)

Nice update, Night. Also, if you put a WNU link in the Links at the top, what forums would that be in? All of them? :eek:
  14. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    > Why couldn't a mod from Australia build an update around the tradition of hanging cork from the brim of Outback hats?

Surely you've noticed that the vast majority of Australian mods refuse to sign up for MS updates?

> The MS update is friendly way for the forums to get to know each member of the adminsitration.

I'm not quite understanding how a mod's ability to cut and paste chunks of a movie script help me get to know them any better. // shrug //

15. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6

I'm not quite understanding how a mod's ability to cut and paste chunks of a movie script help me get to know them any better. // shrug //

Well, you get to know what movies the Mods love. :p
  16. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    I'm not quite understanding how a mod's ability to cut and paste chunks of a movie script help me get to know them any better.

Well, it just depends on how you view them is all..

It is really a nice touch that is as non-invasive as can be..

I mean, has anyone seen those commericals that say "If you aren't supporting the arts, you are helping to eliminate them.." (or similiar message..)

Does it really hurt anything to look at a photo of Simon LeBon and hum "Rio" for a couple of minutes..

Or maybe a certain MS update resulted in a couple of friendly PM's exchanged over a reference..

It's those little examples that add to the communtiy, and really, don't cost a thing in terms of result.

17. BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    Am i the only one who feels that you could interchange the dates in the thread header and the names on the vacation list and you'd have 90% of the ModSquad updates so far?

Maybe they have an Update script that just fills in the blanks...
  18. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Maybe they have an Update script that just fills in the blanks...

Hey! //pulls up HTML-kit.....

*shrug*

I don't know what to tell you Bob. :)

¤Night
  19. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    For anyone looking to relive the experience, or just see it for the first time:

TEH YELLOW

don't say I didn't warn you...
  20. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    This whole pop culture argument is just further proof that all updates should be contracted out to UKS.

Amazing.
  21. mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA

star 4
    OMG Grimby! That's funny!
  22. handzik Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks for the link Grimby, I love it :D but I'm biased since yellow's my favourite color :p
  23. xie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wow there are some mid 03ers who are mods and managers.

That never used to happen.

Oh this isn't the thread but there's a ton of knowledgeable people who look in here, is there a link explaining these new topic prefixes in Comms? I looked at the stickies, I didn't see anything.
  24. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    That never used to happen.

..........and I fully anticipate that in a few years time there will be 04er mods and managers. Now that is a scary concept. There have been relatively noob mods and managers before (RMCOY and Selbula_Slone for example), so its not entirely new.
  25. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 6
    Well I know what I'm going to ask for my birthday next year but I don't think anyone in my house could buy or give me VIPship for a day. lol I'm so silly.

~PK~
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.