main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[MS] Mod Squad Update from Last Week to 7/7

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Night4554, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Nice, clear cut update, Night. =D=

*I'm throwing a party to celebrate both our promotions* ;)

Congrats fellow manager. :)

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I like the straightforward, easy-to-read update, Night. :) Friendly without being too fluffy and laden with pop culture references I don't understand. ;)

The topic of Documenting common procedures (like promoting moderators) was brought up.

Kewl. But I thought G-S already wrote something official about promotion procedures, didn't he?

The topic of putting the Welcome New Users link in forums was brought up, then adding a cat description, discussion is ongoing.

Also kewl, especially for forums where a lot of the new members head first, like the Episode III forums and CT.

Finally, xie is back. Doubly kewl!

3. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    The yellow/black 3SA banner seemed to be more deafening that blinding cuz it left you speechless. It sorta made your scalp go into spaz and your hair stand up to attention. :D :D :D

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    When I make a MS Update, I'll use more HTML than Sape in three, and overuse quotes from "Der Schuh des Manitu" or something! Ha!

Welcome back, xie! :)

5. handzik

handzik Jedi Master star 5

Aug 20, 2002
    Does anyone have a screenshot of that banner? I'd like to see it for myself.

6. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    ask the maker? ;) (of the banner, I mean, not zerosleep :p)

7. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    pm grimbythehutt I'm sure he still has the banner hosted on his server :)

8. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Kewl. But I thought G-S already wrote something official about promotion procedures, didn't he?

What G-S wrote was focused on what needed to be done after the candidate was selected. THe effort that I am leading is to document the entire process, from identifying the need for a new moderator to actually promoting the individual. It expands on G-S's efforts, not replaces them.

I also hope to revamp the Informational Threads and include many, if not all, of the moderator procedures there. This will hopefully help reduce the amount of confusion and drama surrounding many aspects of MS actions.

Kimball Kinnison

9. Ewok15

Ewok15 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 1, 2002
    Thanks for the update Night!

10. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Dark Lady Mara, in reference to your comment about the WNU link in other forums...

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking too. It will be of use to both the newbies who would like to figure out what to do as well as the mods/managers. :)

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    The procedure we follow is the same each time. But given that people come and go, it'll be nice to have it documented.

12. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    (pop culture is timeless though...)

I'd agree. The Transformers Movie update brought tears of joy to my eyes..

And nothing is better than a solid "itty bitty ditty bag" reference.

Which represents the seperate issue.

The MS update is friendly way for the forums to get to know each member of the adminsitration.

I think most people view them as a community builder in their own right..

Some is. But much of it in the MS updates is waaay too USA-centric for my liking

It could be, but they are also ways to have everyone experience a bit of international pop-culture.

Why couldn't a mod from Australia build an update around the tradition of hanging cork from the brim of Outback hats?

Or a Londoner mod build in references detailing this "Mighty Boosh" craze..

Not everyone is going to have the same connection to the references, but they sure beat having a generic update every week...

13. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Hooray for Xie's return! :) :) :)

Nice update, Night. Also, if you put a WNU link in the Links at the top, what forums would that be in? All of them? :eek:

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Why couldn't a mod from Australia build an update around the tradition of hanging cork from the brim of Outback hats?

Surely you've noticed that the vast majority of Australian mods refuse to sign up for MS updates?

> The MS update is friendly way for the forums to get to know each member of the adminsitration.

I'm not quite understanding how a mod's ability to cut and paste chunks of a movie script help me get to know them any better. // shrug //

15. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I'm not quite understanding how a mod's ability to cut and paste chunks of a movie script help me get to know them any better. // shrug //

Well, you get to know what movies the Mods love. :p

16. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I'm not quite understanding how a mod's ability to cut and paste chunks of a movie script help me get to know them any better.

Well, it just depends on how you view them is all..

It is really a nice touch that is as non-invasive as can be..

I mean, has anyone seen those commericals that say "If you aren't supporting the arts, you are helping to eliminate them.." (or similiar message..)

Does it really hurt anything to look at a photo of Simon LeBon and hum "Rio" for a couple of minutes..

Or maybe a certain MS update resulted in a couple of friendly PM's exchanged over a reference..

It's those little examples that add to the communtiy, and really, don't cost a thing in terms of result.

17. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Am i the only one who feels that you could interchange the dates in the thread header and the names on the vacation list and you'd have 90% of the ModSquad updates so far?

Maybe they have an Update script that just fills in the blanks...

18. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Maybe they have an Update script that just fills in the blanks...

Hey! //pulls up HTML-kit.....

*shrug*

I don't know what to tell you Bob. :)

¤Night

19. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    For anyone looking to relive the experience, or just see it for the first time:

TEH YELLOW

don't say I didn't warn you...

20. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    This whole pop culture argument is just further proof that all updates should be contracted out to UKS.

Amazing.

21. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    OMG Grimby! That's funny!

22. handzik

handzik Jedi Master star 5

Aug 20, 2002
    Thanks for the link Grimby, I love it :D but I'm biased since yellow's my favourite color :p

23. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Wow there are some mid 03ers who are mods and managers.

That never used to happen.

Oh this isn't the thread but there's a ton of knowledgeable people who look in here, is there a link explaining these new topic prefixes in Comms? I looked at the stickies, I didn't see anything.

24. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    That never used to happen.

..........and I fully anticipate that in a few years time there will be 04er mods and managers. Now that is a scary concept. There have been relatively noob mods and managers before (RMCOY and Selbula_Slone for example), so its not entirely new.

25. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Well I know what I'm going to ask for my birthday next year but I don't think anyone in my house could buy or give me VIPship for a day. lol I'm so silly.

~PK~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.