main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update 1/5/2005 - 01/11/2005

Discussion in 'Communications' started by -_-_-_-_-_-, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Again, if they hack an account on this board they will be banned for a LONG time. We're talking 6 months probably.

2. darth_grievous1

darth_grievous1 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2004
    I'm actually pretty shaken by all this.

3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Perhaps you should focus that feeling on the tragedy in southeast Asia. It is certainly more worthy of being "shaken up" or being described with emotionally intense words.

4. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Are you the mod in trouble, Strilo?

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I was not aware there is a mod in trouble. So no.

6. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I have been one of the principle investigators in this incident, and have been involved in the entire process. No mods were involved in any of the hacking of accounts. A small group of mods (about 5) were on the list of accounts and passwords, but all of them were tested and found not to be compromised.

The only way any mods were involved was in discussing, determining, and carrying out punishments.

Kimball Kinnison

7. MILK-HANDS

MILK-HANDS Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    Perhaps you should focus that feeling on the tragedy in southeast Asia. It is certainly more worthy of being "shaken up" or being described with emotionally intense words.

This is the second time a moderator has used the Asian tragedy to try to divert attention from the issue at hand by bringing up the tsunami. That is not what is being discussed. Trying to make people feel guilty about a totally unrelated event is uncalled for.

8. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    divert attention from the issue at hand by bringing up the tsunami.

That wasn't what he was doing - he was merely commenting on the choice of words used in this thread.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am trying to put this "heinous" issue that has people "shaken" into perspective here. It's the damn internet. It's not that big a deal. Yes it was unacceptable and yes it should have been punished and it WAS. It's now just internet drama. Move on.

If I as one of the five mods KK just mentioned who had their password posted can get over it, then so can everyone else.

10. MILK-HANDS

Jul 28, 2004

EDIT: I was right. Perhaps we should all just stop posting here entirely, since there are obviously much more important things in life.

11. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Well there are more important things in life than discussing this. So his point does stand.

12. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I agree that the reference to the Tsunami was only responding to the phrase 'pretty shaken up', which does seem like a massive overstatement considering this is the Internet... but I also think the same sentiment could've been expressed without bringing the Tsunami up. It's a pretty lazy / cheap way to make your point.

13. MILK-HANDS

Jul 28, 2004
    Well there are more important things in life than discussing this. So his point does stand.

So does mine. Let's all just stop posting.

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think it's best to avoid trivializing how other people feel or think. We all do it sometimes, but it's better to avoid it as much as possible.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree, KW. But I also think that we should avoid overstating things and blowing them way out of proportion. I was exagerrating my post to make that point. Cheap? Perhaps...

16. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    I honestly don't think the administration needs to reveal anything.

And for those saying I should have taken extra security precautions at the JC chat--sure, I am to blame for the hacking.

Right.

Lock up your sites, people. Protect yourselves in every which way you can from the hackers! IT's your fault if you get hacked!

17. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    It doesn't have to be revealed unless we're at any more risk.

Besides what's going on with the passwords, I thought something was up when it seems like every new user has an unwelcome username. I mean how many new users in the last 2 days either have mod, 3SA, JCC or a spin on the mod names.

18. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    For those who want the names of those involved displayed, why not just ask for a public execution?

19. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004

Hell, I have the names and the list. It's not that big of a deal. It's done with.

20. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    All I can say is that this event has helped me see the true colors of certain individuals.

21. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004

Yes, Lin found out I was indeed white. :D

22. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    All I can say is that this event has helped me see the true colors of certain individuals.

I totally agree. I'm still questioning what could possibly make them want so much attention? I mean, come on, get a life.

As for you, saerah, you didn't deserve any of that crap. I'm truely sorry it had to come to this.

23. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Tell me the list Saerah. Otherwise I'll hack your site to get it, which will be your fault.

24. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Yep, here it comes...

Which, I personally don't think is the smartest course of action, but one which is almost inevitable.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    And for those saying I should have taken extra security precautions at the JC chat--sure, I am to blame for the hacking.

Any security precautions at ALL would have been nice. Extra ones... well that's something else.

Lock up your sites, people. Protect yourselves in every which way you can from the hackers! IT's your fault if you get hacked!

You leave your front door open and see what insurance companies say when you get robbed and try to get all your stuff replaced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.