main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update MS Update for Feb 8, 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by droideka27, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Well next week will be the Valentine's week, so you can cover your update with lots of shirtless Anakin. [face_batting]

Noooooo, I'm not obsessed. Not at all. [face_whistling] [face_blush]

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Awesome update Tracy - that was a lot to cover! :D

3. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    In this update there are excellent images!

4. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Great update Tracy and that Senate joke was priceless! BTW, is the clarification on the no hoax rule a result of the "I'm in Iraq" thread? Just curious.

5. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    You know, I have made jokes before. Some of them were even funny.

Kimball Kinnison

6. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    -JCC/Senate Focus group is over -- Thank you to everyone for their contributions, and good ideas were discussed. The information has been

W00t! I'm glad I was apart of it.

You know, I have made jokes before. Some of them were even funny.

[image=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/MariahJade/Teh%20lovely/Emperororly.jpg]

I kid, I kid.:p

7. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    how is Venture on "reduced time" different than the past few weeks?

8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i have never understood the reasoning behind making people star out the 'ing' which follows a swear word. there isn't anything wrong with those three letters, i n g. ****, yes. ****ing -- what is wrong with that? all i can see is 'ing'. by making one say *******... this could mean anything... it isn't just censoring a swear word it has the potential of censoring the entire point of a sentence. i do not understand. is it because we don't want people to be thinking in their heads the word that is being starred out? and how is this overcome by not allowing the 'ing'? if someone sees a bunch of stars they know it's a swear word anyway. i do not understand!

for the record i have never, i don't think, ever, starred out the 'ing' in swear words since 1999.

9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    To all intents and purposes, the 'ing' on the end of '****ing' allows someone to use the f-word without having to type it. To me, there's absolutely no room for misenterpretation as to what ****ing could mean, particularly when coupled with the context one often finds it in. Yes, there are other words that, when completely starred out, are pretty hard to mistake for anything else, but that in itself doesn't mean ****ing should be allowed to remain. The presence of an 'ing' is more of an indicator to the presence of the f-word than a completely starred out word.

Plus, if people are put off using ******* because they have to star it all out, and therefore lose a lot of the point of having the word there in the first place, then all the better IMO. There are plenty of ways to express onself without having to resort to a completely starred out swear word.

10. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    the censor is in place so the actual words that make up a swear are not actually presented. if people know the meaning behind the stars, that is something different entirely. a part of the censor's job, surely, is not to confuse the reader into what is being said, to a point where they don't think in their mind a particular swear word. god forbid!

or is it? and if so, why?

is there ANY difference between 'that's ****ing ridiculous' and 'oh for **** sake'? i mean, honestly.

11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Confusing the reader? If the author of a particular message is really really concerned about confusing the reader they can always substitute '*******' for 'really' or 'very' or 'extremely'. Plus, since when did removing '*******' from a sentence make the sentence difficult to comprehend?

12. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Because I finally got around to saying it Flare.

13. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    epic, it's almost for the same reason why you can't have 'god' in 'god******'. You must edit out the entire word. That includes everything attached to the word.

14. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    You have to ask yourself why you're using the word in the first place. If I star something out, it's mostly for me. ;) Because you get your point across without all the adjectives, but if I feel better adding ******* to something, that's why I use it. Honestly, I curse in real life, depending on the mood and situation it can be as colorful as a sailor's dialogue. But here, I've learned I CAN get my point across without using them, and if I do use them nine times out of ten ANY adjective that would have to be starred out totally...and the reader can usually infer what I mean. If not, they then have the awesome ability to insert their own choice of colorful word there.

15. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    we seem to be discussing different things here. the justification for this rule is seemingly based on the notion that swearing is bad and/or that it is unnecessary. which is fine, if that is your opinion, but that isn't the rule. people are allowed to swear on this message board, they just have to cover it up. that is the role of the censor -- to cover up the offence. ****ing is covering up the offense. sure, people may have an idea what lays beneath but that occurs with the majority of words that have a * across them. no one reponded to my earlier example, but here's another: "that is full of ****". now, because people still have a rather obvious idea what the stars are covering up, should we, thus, going by the previous reasoning, star out the entire sentence? **** ** **** ** ****?

no? why? what is the difference?

16. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    At some point, it boils down to "because we say so".

There are people who think that starring out any profanity is unnecessary. Some people think you should only have to star out one or two letters. Others think the whole word is best.

At some point, you simply have to set a limit. The administration did that. If it doesn't make much difference starring out part vs all the word, is it really worth making all that much of a fuss because the administration asks you to star out a few extra letters?

There are better things to complain about, rather than such trivialities.

Kimball Kinnison

17. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    i can accept that if it's logical. this isn't, as i have shown.

that isn't all that many options, considering the first obviously doesn't come into the equation.

this isn't a response to the point i have made. this is called skirting the issue.

and again.

18. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    We each can present our points all day if we want to. Logic and understanding comes from the eye of the beholder. We're each going to have different viewpoints and discrepancies on certain rules and procedures.

The "ing" sets an implication to the F-word. Just like 'mother' in 'mother******' or 'god' in 'god****'. Even though you are editing out the actual swear word, the current rules state to also edited out any word connected or associated with that word. 'ing' falls into that category so it needs to be edited out.

19. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Day 1 of the Senate philibuster.

Ahem

Reading from the sourcecode of this thread....

<html>
    <head>
    <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://media.ign.com/ign/ign_siteicon1.ico">
    <title>Jedi Council Forums - MS Update for Feb 8, 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</title>

<script language="javascript" src="/Scripts/global.js" defer></script>

<!-- CONTENT_PLACEHOLDER (cphHeadPart) -->
    <span id="_ctl0_Content1" ContentPlaceHolderId="cphHeadPart">

</span>

Edit: Etc., etc.

and...
    Oh, god. You guys were serious.
    :eek:

20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  21. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    [face_hypnotized] [face_hypnotized] [face_hypnotized] :confused:

22. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    [face_hypnotized] I seem to have lost the will to continue reading this thread [face_hypnotized]

:p

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    ROFL!!!!!!! That's what you get for pranking such a serious - minded contingent!

[face_laugh] ;)

24. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Yay for awesome updates!

25. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Don't you mess with my Senate, or I'll beat you with the PreacherBoy's corpse.

Your update amused me and informed!

Now, I'd love to see a non-SW fiction forum, a place for the writers around here to stretch a bit more and venture into non-established territory. Spread your wings, and so forth. Wiht a solid peer review/critique system, a forum like that could go a long way to giving some folks a much-needed push towards more serious, professional outlets. It was the JC (back in old Aught Aught) that provided a place for me to post my fan fiction, and it led me to change my major (business to creative writing) and pursue professional writing. I've currently finished a book (200k words), screenplay and have started a second book. I'm participating in the SciFi/Fantasy short story contest and would love to be involved in a similar contest/class in a new non-SW fiction board. I've learned quite a bit from classes, meeting professional writers and having my book edited by a variety of people, from tech writers to journalists to stock brokers. I'd love to help newbie writers hone their abilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.