main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update MS Update for Feb 8, 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by droideka27, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
  2. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Great update, Tracy!

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/jcgabe/tracymiyagi.jpg]

You?re the best! Around!
    Nothing?s gonna ever keep you down
    You?re the Best! Around!
    Nothing?s gonna ever keep you down
    You?re the Best! Around!
    Nothing?s gonna ever keep you dow-ow-ow-ow-own

3. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Ok, that picture's slightly creepy :p

4. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
  5. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    You meant to say "because Phil says so" :p

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    why?

7. darth_grievous1

darth_grievous1 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2004
    Great update Tracy! Amusing pics, and nice joke for the senate :p

As for the swearing issue: We are all more intelligent than to use profanity. I will admit, IRL, swearing comes as naturally as breathing. But as I said, we are smarter, and we can use better words than that. Thank you.

You Senators got pwnt. :p

8. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    if you're so smart to use better words than that on the internet why do you swear in real life then?

9. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Because this is how we see fit to maintain the integrity of these Forums. Saying part of the swear word (i.e. 'god****') doesn't seem as appropriate as '*******' would be. So we've opted to continue with the latter as a continuing rule.

10. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    the god**** example, which i didn't bring up, mind, makes a bit more sense to me seeing each of those words are distinct; ie by editing out one part of the word you can still read the other... but 'ing', in of itself, means nothing. there is nothing remotely offensive by the usage of 'ing'.

i will no longer say 'that is ****ing ridiculous', if a situation ever arose in which i felt the need to do so, i will now say 'oh for **** sake that is ridiculous' and if anyone can tell me why one is less offensive than the other i will either eat a shoe or start supporting Everton, either/or.

11. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    We're not trying to compare on what's more offensive, or which example is more offensive then the other.

Let's keep it simple. As I said earlier, "The 'ing' sets an implication to the F-word". That is the truth to the whole rule change to begin with. Anything directy associated and connected to the swear word should be edited out for the implication alone. Whether it be one letter, one partial word, or one full word; if it's connected to the swear word, it gets starred out.

12. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    We have to draw the line somewhere and say this is how this will be interpreted. We're drafting up rules that cover thousands of people from all over the world with all sorts of value systems, levels of subjectivity, and what is and is not acceptable. This is what we're defining on these boards as unacceptable. As long as we believe we've made the list accessible, clear to understand, and people understand the consequences, then I'm comfortable with its enforcement.

13. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    by this standard then, shouldn't "what the ****?" be edited aswell, as "what the" also sets an 'implication to the F-word'? shouldn't it be then "**** *** ****?"? the 'what' and the 'the' are most definately associated and connected to the swear word in this instance as forming part of a extremely well known phrase.

14. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Except that we do draw the line somewhere, as is explained in the post right above yours. We enforce this rule without getting too carried away with it. The line we drew makes it clear that anything that is a part of the actual swear word (Like the examples I've already listed) will, and should be, starred out. If we drew no line, then the enforcement of this rule would go into the situation you described. But thankfully there is a line; one that defines this rule to the parameters we feel are best.

15. darth_grievous1

darth_grievous1 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2004

Because this day and age we do it without thinking. On the net people usually think when they are typing ;)

16. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    Ok, that Senate joke was not funny. My heart really did sink when I read that. :mad:

17. droideka27

May 28, 2002
  18. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    I fell for the joke too. Great update droideka!

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Day 2 of the Senate Filibuster. Or Philibuster.

Parts 2-6 coming soon.

E_S

20. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Why, that's some of the worst bull **** I've ever heard!

21. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    So is wt* now banned, too?

22. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    wasn't it already? I seem to remember that we're supposed to edit it into WTH all the time (and as far as I can see, it's what is done)

hmm

23. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm not sure. I've seen wt* before, and technically that could mean WTH? Maybe it's in older threads that I've seen it, but I don't necessarily have a problem with "wt*" and have edited to that before. It's not listed on the profanity list.

24. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    I learned 6 months or so that technically, yes, we are not supposed to edit it to wt*. wth or *** are the preferrred methods. It doesn't come up a lot though, but that was direct from Sapient.

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    all the recent pinkness of the forums has caused me to go blind. i hope your happy droideka27:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.