main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update MS Update for Feb 8, 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by droideka27, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Oh, totally. Teehee.

*~<3*~*~*~HaPpY*~<3*vAlEnTi<3NeS*~*dAy!~*~*~~*~*~**~~ <3<3<3

2. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Being able to see is over-rated.

3. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    How pink it is. thanks, everyone. =D= [face_love] :* [:D] [face_dancing]

Happy Valentine's Day :D [face_batting]

4. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    so the line that has been drawn is essentially a space. there is no space between '****' and 'ing', thus it's one word, so it's bad. there is a space between 'what the' and '****', thus more than one word, thus it's fine.

what about, as has already been used in this thread and has not been edited, so i assume it's allowed -- 'bull ****'? it's two words so it's fine? but can't it be used as one word -- 'bull****' -- and thus doesn't the 'bull' also 'set an implication to the F-Word'? and if the space is what makes things okay, can't i just say '**** ing', 'ing' being a seperate word and thus being okay? and if that isn't allowed is it purely because 'ing' isn't a word by itself? but since when is not typing a real word an editable offence?

also, if, coming from Sapes, wt* isn't allowed, then why should 'what the ****'?

is it just me who is finding a... **** load (****load?) of indescrepencies and a degree of arbitariness to all this?

5. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    No one ever claimed that it had to be 100% consistent. In fact, the administration has repeatedly said that it doesn't have to be. Remember your Emerson:
    That's how it's been for years, and that's not about to change.

Kimball Kinnison

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Why is that every JCC mod has to have some ridiculous Valentine's Day garbage in their tite & have pinkish colors?

7. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001

I guess I'll just sit over here, then.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I applaud the fact that you're sticking to your usual title/color scheme.=D=

9. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Pink is disgusting. [face_sick]

10. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I think your thinking about it way too much. It's a rule that we drew a line on. How we enforce it will be based off our subjectivity and common sense.

11. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Just as an update, Sape and the MS are talking about letting '****ing' and 'wt*' (this one we always have) go. We'll come back to the thread on profanity and let everyone know.

12. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Really, now?

To quote Carmen from this thread:
    Reply from EV:
    And Tracy:
    Noboy from the administration corrected them and said "WT* was never banned, it has always been okay to simply star out the one letter". Which leads me to believe that "WT*" used to not be allowed, and it was supposed to be replaced with "***" or "WTH", as Carmen alluded to above.

13. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Jeff, you might have to shoot me. I might have been incorrect (I didn't check the April 2005 MSU before posting that), and we know the administration can NEVER make a mistake. :p It's time. I just ask that you make it quick and painless, as I'm a wimp.

Whatever the case may be on "WT*", we're going back to look at it. Now doesn't that make you feel warm and fuzzy? [face_batting] We're trying to get a allowed/disallowed that's uniform and doesn't keep growing. This is one of those that we may take off.

14. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Anything to get rid of silly rules is fine with me.

15. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    yes but the administration should endeavour to create consistency -- how else is the general populace meant to know what is allowed and what isn't if there isn't -- at least the attempt -- of consistency within the rules? sure it may not always work in practice but it's a weak clause for the administration to simply pull this card out.

which, thankfully, appears to be the case:

thankyou. this makes a lot of sense.

also good news... although if you want my opinion (which you may not *wink), yes those two should be allowed, but if we want consistency, uniformity and a common sense rule that everyone can understand, why not make it a simple and straight forward rule that one must star out the swear and leave it at that.

that means: bull****, ****ing, wt*, what the ****, ****, ****ty, et cetera. consistency!

16. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    You sum it up very appropriately. I agree with you. Consistency should be at the top of our priority list.

I think most of the time though the inconsistency comes from different points of views of each individual moderator. Obviously one moderator won't mod the same exact way as the next. So I think that's the biggest inconsistent factor when it comes to trying to be as uniform as possible.

But I do agree with you, the more consist we are, the better. And I know we all try to be as consistent as possible.

:)

17. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I blew up the picture of Harold and it scared me. :eek:

18. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm working within the MS to encourage the group to bring any and all questions about what's acceptable or not to the larger group so we can agree and then be in unison when we moderate. Trust me, I don't want to make this place prudish or have ridiculous, unnecessary rules. Part of the reason for discussion of the word list is because it's something we should have done years ago. Because we didn't, the discussion that would have taken place then is taking place now.

In terms of the lesser offenses, let me try to clarify. We just can't have something in part or total representing cuss words or parts of it. You can post wt*, wth, just not wtf. We'll only edit out the f. Whether the mod puts in an h or a * is their call. Same thing with something like rotflmfao. We'll take out the f and either put nothing else there or a *. I'm okay with **** *** because you could argue, and would have a valid point, that it doesn't stand for what I think it does. And you'd be right.

Here's the deal, though. Anything posted with the intent to personally insult or attack a specific user or group of users on this messageboard will be edited. If you wrote a blistering post against someone and followed it by **** *** or *u** yo* or whatever, common sense would tell me you're flaming someone. Why? Intent and common sense. But for 99.9% of the time if you type **** ***, we won't edit it. I'm trying to ensure the mods are aware and on the same page. I think we're getting there.

If anyone ever has a question and you feel you'e not getting an answer or we're being inconsistent, please send me a PM sooner rather than later. I want to continue to decrease inconsistency and work towards the goal of maximizing consistency. It will never be perfect, but it can continuously improve. It's a collaborative effort on the parts of mods and regular users. :)

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I, of course, reserve the right to edit your curse words (where I find them) to anything else I might find amusing which is permissible under the rules.

Whether you like them or not.

So that's usually as good a reason as any as to why not to curse, since no one usually likes my edits to their creative flow as it were... ;)

Or, in other words:

"All you [female parental unit sex offenders] are gonna pay, You are the ones who are the [lickers of a portion of male genitalia]. We're gonna [sex act] your mothers while you watch and cry like little [female dogs]. Once we get to Hollywood and find those Miramax [plural sex acts] who are making that movie, we're gonna make 'em eat our [poop], then [ibid] out our [ibid], then eat their [ibid] which is made up of our [ibid] that we made 'em eat. Then you're all [active tense of sex act] next."

- Love, Jay and Silent Bob

I think that's the only way to say that one these here boards!

20. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I removed the statement about starring things fully out since it is not longer true, just to prevent futur confusion.

21. Apprentice_To_Master

Apprentice_To_Master Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2006
    Excellent update, But one suggestion. Edit your plant pic to say "I require water, mortal" :p

22. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Harold doesn't talk like that! He is a friendly plant. You don't know anything about him!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.