main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson MS walk March 25th.. Tucson Desert Diamond

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I want us to do this.. I can walk part of it.. I know I can.. even if not.. this is great exposure for us to do this walk in Tucson.. then there is a walk in Phoenix on April 8th I believe is the date I saw, so if we did the Phoenix walk as well we would need to alter our dates for our other April events. here is the link for both walks.. look it over.. I really want us to do this... we can discuss at the meeting. If we want to participate then I need to get with the person heading up the event and see if we would be better to just have a couple of walkers and the rest of us be volunteers for the event.. or what.. but there must be some way we can participate. The event in Tucson is about an eighth the size of the one in Phoenix.. but it is local.. by all means we can both .. but anyway.. like I said we can discuss at meeting..with the rental car this week I will go to their office and see what I can find out for us.

MS Walk

2. TI-525

TI-525 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2005
    good luck evberybody
    if i were out there i would be attending

3. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    I'm up for it; I'd rather to the one in PHX. Personal reasons (OK, it's affiliated with where I work and I refuse to do something for them on my own time, long story but they?ve made a real mess of stuff concerning pay raises and external community service or personal time).

Either way, I'll put any personal (or work related) stuff aside and do what I have to do.

IE. I'm in for either.

4. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Thats a whole lotta walkin, the only thing (devils advocate callin) that I notice was that the DSG really focuses on walks invollving kids.

5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    hmmm.. devil's advocate speaking.. I would think both of these walks involve kids.. as they are both MS walks.. however.. no promises.. I will know more after I go to their office this week.. hope they don't mind my bringing along my friends son. In fact.. I hope my friend does not mind my taking their son with me to do some biz for the TFF in general.. or else I will do all our biz on tuesday and thursday when I am not watching the little one.

6. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    march of dimes info

Tucson 4/22/2006 University of Arizona 6.2 miles

just to cloud the pool... there is also this walk for the March of Dimes!! Also Easter Seals may be doing something.. I will go to both of these offices as well..

before it's over with Ya'll may wish we did not have so many things/options to do!! All of these groups do things with kids.

also I am getting with the Child Life person at the hospitals.

And lest I forget.. the MDA as well.. many opportunities with this group as well.

7. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I have already sent out some notices to media of our tentative plans for 2006.. we shall see if we get any nibbles.

8. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    relay for life planning meeting

this is another event I have done in the past.. this one is really fun.. it is family oriented and is an overnight event in support of finding cures for Cancer.

Called the Relay for Life!! this being an all night event might be a really good one to do as it is for a great cause.. plus we can take turns walking.. no one has to walk the entire time.. there is food and music and all sorts of stuff going on through the night. At this time there are two of these planned for the spring in Tucson.. not sure which one this meeting involves.. but I will let you know after I attend it.

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I am also going to the library this week and talking to the outreach services program activities director there.

10. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    So I'm thinking if we do the MS walk with Phoenix..then in Tucson we could do one of the other walks.. either the Cancer Relay For Life.. or the March of Dimes WalkAmerica.. though the MS Walk on the Wild Side in Tucson is still a possibility as well.. but these are the top three contenders in Tucson at this point.. we will just see which of them is most receptive to us being a part of the event.. heaven help us if they all are.. I will want to do them all!!!

11. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Something else to think about, especially those of us in full-body outfits. It has been known to hit 100 degrees in Tucson by mid-April.

12. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    that's a very good point Chewie. that puts the March of Dimes in the Con list for the moment when shown opposite the other March Venues.

13. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I may not be able to make the April 8th event. My sons britday is the 9th and his cousins is the 7th so Michele said we may be going to Pinetop for a combined drunken....er, I mean party

14. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    So says the woman in street clothes [face_batting]

15. MasterJediDragonSir

MasterJediDragonSir Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    only in street clothes if my costumes head is not finished by then.. if it is finished I won't be in street clothes [:D]

AGAIN I have posted under Jake's name... argh!!!!!

16. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003

17. timstephens4

timstephens4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    I am only speaking for myself at this moment, if anybody else voices similar opinions, you do so at your own choice.

I think we should focus on one event at a time. These are all good events, but we should limit ourselves to only one for now. The event we decide upon can be voted on at the Feb. 4th meeting. I have no particular preference. I am saying this becasue we are relatively young as a FF. We have never done this sort of thing by ourselves before. We should use this oprtunity as a learning experience more than anything, as well as a chance to outreach to the community. After this, we can begin to branch out to other charity events. So far, the biggest thing we did in Tucson was the Katrina fundraiser, and that was done on the fly with little planning. This will be our chance to shine. This will also be our chance to let the charities of Tucson know they have a troop of SW characters that can be utilized to attract more support.

This is only temporary. As time goes on, we can, and probably will, branch out to other causes and events. I am saying to limit ourselves because we are so young, and I do not want to see us fall apart becasue we are worked too much. Additionally, we should also not limit ourselves too much that we lose interest and fall apart. We are also a small group here, and all of us have other things to attend to in our lives. As a result, if we plan too much for the FF, our other stuff may begin to falter, like jobs and school. Some of these charities will understand if we do not show up and support them because we are small and just starting out. As our memebership increases, so can our involvement. Also, as the number of members with costumes increases, so can our involment.

I know that what I have just said may seem a bit harsh, but it is better to say it now, instead of a month from now when we are too deep in the events to back out if we need to.

18. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Very, VERY good points, I never even thought of that. You are 100% correct, you tend to "burn out" and get too tired after 1 event let alone several in a row. Also, we don't want to saturate the area and make ourselves more of a given then an exception. Very smart observation and forethought.

19. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    I have to agree with Tim.

We all want to do things to benefit our community. And what we did at the Rock n' Roll Marathon was exhausting.

I'll be blunt, I cannot walk this with my back. The running around in Phoenix and walking there did me in for the next two days.

What would be great would be to be able to hook up with any kids portion of an Event and do that.

I know at the Race for the Cure they have kids for the cure and do stuff for the kids.

There are alot of charities out there and we could easily spend every weekend doing something. The point is to choose wisely.

20. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    While I do agree with what you all have said..and I don't want anyone to burn out and we should concentrate on one or two events.. and at the meeting we will discuss what we find out about receptiveness from which group for what event we are interested in doing.. I also have to say I plan on attempting to do all the events in some fashion.. to get the experience and socializing in.. whether or not this is in costume or t shirts I don't know yet.. but we will find out more about these groups and get us a foot in the door easier if we involve at least one of us for as many of the events as we can.. we might even be able to divide and conquer as well.. a couple of us doing each event to meet and greet people that can help us in the future with charities. While I don't expect everyone to jump on my hi ho bandwagon .. if you want to join me for the extra events we don't plan on doing as an organized event.. then by all means join me. I just want to do it for the practice and experience and yes.. networking in Tucson. I know I can't walk the whole way on any of them.. but I might be able to offer services as a volunteer in some way.

Granted if my health keeps me from it.. I will really be upset.. but at this point.. I am keeping a good thought!! This kind of stuff is what I lived for in Arkansas, I love doing charity events and walkathons.. I even once did a rockathon.. I rocked in a rocking chair for something like 18 hours for MD.. and read goodness knows how many books for the MS readathon.. and manned tons of phones for March of Dimes.. and wrote out arrest warrants and stuffed envelopes and attended conferences. Not to mention how many times I have done Relay for Life and the WalkAmerica events. This is something I have been just itching to do.. so just ignore me if I go haywire.. I don't expect everyone to go haywire along with me..though your more than welcome to if you want. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.