Memph, TN MSC Planning/Events

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by Jedi Trace, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kellrob Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, I just got a response to my email that I sent today about our registration (since Rob and I are on the Con Com and have not paid for our's yet). I found out they have already been sent to the printers (online registration ended this past Friday 3/6)and we will have to sign up and pay Friday when registration opens. I don't mind not having a pre-printed badge, but when I told the person I emailed that all my info from last year is still valid, I was told they start with a clean database every year and I would have to fill out our stuff Friday when registration opens. :confused: I thought they kept a running database to update returning con-goers info each year. Did I mention that I am supposed to be helping out with registration? I don't forsee any problems getting registered Friday and I am looking forward to a fun weekend with everyone. [face_dancing] I just have not been in touch with anyone for the past few weeks because of Robert's Grandmother passing.

If everyone is planning on getting together for dinner on Thursday, we will not be able to be there. We have a prior engagement.

Has anyone said for sure if we are getting together Sunday and what time? Our ornament club meeting is from 6-7:30, so we could be there in the early afternoon or about 8pm. Also if we are going with the iron-on's, I need to know so I can get our shirts, and lettering, and iron-on transfer paper. Just post and I will check back.

Kelly
  2. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Can't say that I'm surprised about registration and the "clean slate". I've filled out guest info before and had to do it again.

And did I mention they still goofed on my scheduling..? [face_whistling]

I'm good whenever on Sunday if we do- whatever my social director says I'll be there.

Lin
  3. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I talked to the Commissary and gave them my name for reservations for 7pm - 15 ppl and told them we may add a few or take some off. we've held IP events there and had as many as 20, so it should work out. Not a huge place, but hey.

http://www.commissarybbq.com/view/11

The Commissary itself is Carlin's deal and it sounds like it's an every year thing when he picks up the GOH, so Carlin will pay for John, we can pick up Dean and John's if we want. It's unfortunate that it'll be Thursday and not at the Con itself, but at least this will be an official Fan Force dinner with him.

So far we've got:

Tim
    Traci
    Emma
    Rachel
    Rhonda
    Mike
    Nicki
    Lin
    Carlin
    Carlin's wife
    John O.
    John J. ?
    Dean ?
    Eddie (?)

More when I know more!
  4. TNPredsFan Force Ghost

star 4
    If you like, I can send JJM a PM to see when he's getting into town. I'll see if Lin will give Dean a shout.
  5. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    That would be awesome!
  6. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Since it's a school night, we'll have the girls in tow, so add them to the list.
  7. TNPredsFan Force Ghost

star 4
    JJM is a go for dinner. He may have a couple of friends coming with him, so hold a couple of spots open.
  8. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    Will do! Now, granted, I still haven't heard where the tables will be or who to contact at the hotel about them...but I'll put your name on one...when I find them.

Anytime Sunday afternoon is fine. Let's say around 2 pm-ish. And since we're only 5 business days away, let's just say we're going with iron-ons. [face_peace]

It would appear that nobody has heard back about games, dealer tables or registration. o_O I'll be buying my badge there Friday, too, I assume. I just hope we get a schedule in advance so we can make some plans.

9. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    You help them out by going to programming meetings, helping them find a GoH, and running the fan tables and they ask you to buy a badge? Just how ungrateful are these people?

Oh, wait... I forgot who we were talking about.
  10. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I was under the assumption that volunteers/panelists didn't have to pay?

I will not be buying my badge on Friday or any other day. I guess they can always turn me away at the door.
  11. JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant

VIP
    star 3
    I will probably have John Hudgens with me on Thursday -- maybe one other person as well, but Hudgens is close to certain. I think I am to pick him up from the airport, but I do not know if it will be the same time Nicki's getting Ostrander or later. If the Commissary room can hold 20, that's all good.

Note, Memphians, that if your team is in first-round play in prime time, the Commissary will be a zoo -- but that will be true of anywhere.

Sorry that Saturday didn't work out -- though I wonder if the dynamic at the new place will be different. It could be easier to dash out before/after that panel than it was at the old hotel.

12. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Oh yeah, John. That's for sure. That's why I went on and made reservations - here's to hoping we'll need them! I'm going to up them to 20 tomorrow, just in case. They'll be under my name - Rhonda, if you get there before any of us. We're waiting on Carlin to let us know about picking John O up from the airport. If he can do it, he's going to pick him up and meet us at the Commissary. If not, Traci and I are going to make plans to get him and get to the Commissary. Just waiting to see about Carlin's vacation.

We originally checked on a place about 10 minutes from the hotel on Saturday, but between the banquet and the 8pm panel, it was too tight a timeframe, especially for a large group. This hotel is a few minutes away from the city of Olive Branch and a bit secluded (scary isn't it?).
  13. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    I'm not a panelist/guest and they haven't told me NOT to buy a badge. Don't know if I qualify as a volunteer or not. If I get there and don't need one, that's cool.

That's true. We can play it by ear once we get there.

Also, add Lisa (s65horsey) to the list for dinner. Looks like she'll be driving down from Nashville. :D

14. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Yay, another JCCer I get to meet! :D

Tim
    Traci
    Emma
    Rachel
    Rhonda
    Mike
    Nicki
    Lin
    Carlin
    Carlin's wife
    John Ostrander
    John J. Miller
    John Hudgens
    Dean Zachary (?)
    Eddie (?)
    Lisa

What about Kevin, Antone and Janet? And we should let Joe and Gina know as well.
  15. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Kev said he'd like to go. Don't know about Wonton and Janney- I'll ask Kev when he gets here. Talked to Eddy Zeno at the comic shop yesterday and he's a go. Just emailed Dean to make sure he can make the new day/time. If he goes I've got his dinner. I owe him for Nicki's sketch.

I saw on John O's message board that Joe said they may/may not make it to the con because of his current Job situation. I don't think I have their email or phone #, so if someone could give them a yell/invite that would be cool.

Yeah, the con is really whacked on memberships and who can get one, if there are any discounted or free ones for volunteers, how many hours or other work counts or doesn't count- who knows..? But don't get me started on that or the costs of the memberships. I'm going to stay positive this week, ya' hear me..?! Positive I say!

Lin
  16. kellrob Jedi Knight

star 2
    I know for Con Com people, which since Traci, Nicki and Rhonda have been coming to the meetings you all should qualify for, the cost is $15 per person. I don't think panelists have to pay, but I don't know. I can email Kim who is in charge of reg and ask for sure about both. I will post back here when I find out.

Kelly
  17. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Ya know- if they want more volunteers maybe they should make that sort of thing more clear. I'm just sayin'...

Anyway- Dean's joining us for dinner. He said Thursday night would work better for him anyway.

Lin
  18. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Kelly: Panelists' badges are comped if they do three or more panels, but they're charging the people who volunteer hours and hours of several Saturdays to help put this thing together? What a way to show your volunteers your appreciation, and to guarantee that you have volunteers for future cons!

I'm going to bite my tongue not to say more. [face_not_talking]

EDIT: Lin beat me to it! Proof that he and I are identical mental twins who were separated at birth. [face_laugh]
  19. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    You're my brother from another mother!

Lin
  20. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I'm glad that things are working out for the dinner on Thursday. It would be nice to be able to spend more time with John O., JJM, and Dean, but we take what we can get, right?

I'm in the middle of arts and crafts, and it feels awfully funny not making any costumes for MSC.
  21. kellrob Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, the annual volunteers do earn "poker chips" for the hours they work, and those are exchanged for items: t-shirts or other items for sale and admission for the following year if you volunteer enough hours. The members of the con com have to pay a discounted price of $15 for the weekend. Its not a bad deal.

I still haven't heard back from Kim yet. Hopefully I will get a response tonight.

Kelly
  22. kellrob Jedi Knight

star 2
    I heard back from Kim. Rhonda, Lin, and Tim are panelists, so their badges are comped. She will have to check with Carlin about Traci & Nicki. BTW, Carlin was able to get off from work for Thursday and Friday, so he will be there. Robert and I are planning on being at the hotel Friday morning around 9am. If I hear anything else, I will let you all know.

Kelly
  23. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Carlin called me tonight. Like Kelly said, he's got Thursday and Friday off, but still may need us to get John, Traci. He said he was going to find out when John Hudgens arrives, to see if/when he needs to pick him up and has to work a few other pickups out with Susan (I think that's her name?), the guest person thingie. John, if you email Carlin, you might want to let him know you're picking John up. If he mentions it to me again, I'll tell him also.

Carlin will be at the hotel around noon Friday, and I reminded him about your tables Traci and told him you'd be there around then or a little later, too. There's a 3:30 Coordination meeting (where volunteers get assignments) at the hotel on Friday. I also got Kat's email, I'll send it to you Traci to see about the Graceland thing. I've also got to email Dan Richardson and get with him on our Sustainability panel, and av needs, timing, etc.

I asked him about my badge and he said he thought it was $15 - I think he forgot about the panelist part (or something), but I'm going with nothing since that's what panelists are paying and I'm doing two panels and volunteering.

And I'm doing this Sustainability panel with someone who may or may not be friendly about my company (IP). I heard he's good folk, which is good, because I don't want to have to debate global warming, trees and their importance, etc. with someone that is really not wanting to hear it. :p But to be sure, I'm going for some coaching with my Communications folk on what exactly our certifications in the Sustainable Forests initiative are and how we stand in the environmental community both domestically and abroad.

i.e. I'm putting a lot of work into this panel and the Clone Wars panel (I'm even listening to pod casts people!) so I'd like to be comped. Yeah. :p

Oh, and we're good on dinner. 7pm, The Commissary, under my name.

24. TNPredsFan Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm not expecting a reduced rate or comped badge. I've done nowhere near the amount of work as Traci and Rhonda due to RL constraints.
  25. Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Are you doing any panels? I was told that if you did at least 2 panels they would comp a badge.

Lin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.