main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN MSC23- MidSouthCon in Memphis April 1-3, 2005

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dork-Vader, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Ok, here's a thread to discuss any and all plans for attending MidSouthCon this April.

Guests

Writer GoH - Esther M. Friesner
    Artist GoH - Steve Hickman
    Gaming GoH - Games Workshop
    Science GoH - Gregory Benford
    Media GoH - Brinke Stevens
    Comics GoH - Steve Rude
    Fan GoH - The 501st Legion
    Toastmaster - Michael Sheard
    Persistent Guest - Cullen Johnson

Other Guests

Authors and Publishers
    C. J. Cherryh M.M.Buckner David B. Coe Glen Cook
    Jane Fancher Jeff Crook Bill Allen Selina Rosen
    E.E. Knight Richard Parks Lee Martindale Lanette Curington
    Laura J. Underwood Barbara Christopher Elizabeth Donald Kenneth Mark Hoover

Rickey Mallory (aka Mallory Kane) Jana G. Oliver Alicia Sparks
    Karen Syed Gloria Oliver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Science and Technology
    Dr. Brett Bolen Les Johnson Lionel J. Crews, PhD Joseph Qualls

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comic Writers, Publishers, and Graphic Artists.
    David Beaty Tom Foster Mitch Foust Chris Hanther
    John Miller Jackson Scott McCullar Penny Register Adam Shaw
    Andrew Smith Martheus Wade Lin Workman Sean Taylor
    Kathryn White Eddy Zeno

Other (Scholars, Fan, Media, and everyone else).
    Dr. Amy H. Sturgis Sean O'Bannon Grant Kruger Lady Angel

For more info on guests-
    http://www.midsouthcon.org/pages/bios.html

2. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    I'll be there and IN ARMOR!!!!!!!!!

Chuck

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Michael Sheard is a Toastmaster.

How appropriate.

4. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    That's because Natty-Lite is a sponsor!

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I hope they're prepared for a hefty advertisement cost! Do they brew enough of that crap to keep him supplied during MSC?

Just once I'd like to not say "Who?" (or, "Who Cares") when I read a guest list for MSC. I only know of Steve Rude thanks to Lin, and Michael Sheard....well... That's a running joke, right?

6. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Hey, I tried... :(

The con-comm sometimes confuses 'big-name' with 'well-known', and what/who they know to be both.

Nah, Natty isn't a sponsor, but they might want to pursue that!

7. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    you know who I'm happy is gonna be there???

LIN WORKMAN!!!!! and ANTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYYAA

8. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    I'm kinda partial to the Fan GOH :)

Chuck

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    If we're in town that weekend, we might crash the party. But we might be visiting family and going to www.planetcomicon.com in KC.

No C3 for us. Just can't swing the $$ this time.

-Joe

10. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    LIN WORKMAN!!!!! and ANTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYYAA

I'm looking forward to seeing them there, too! ;)

Actually, I'm really hoping Steve Rude brings some of his original art to the con. I've seen some of his 'Nexus' comic pages which are great, and have heard nothing but raves for seeing his paintings in person.

And the 501stso should have some kick-butt costumes!

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    They always do.

I think the 501st, as the Fan Guests of Honor, should undertake a special project for this years MSC. I think they should encase Michael Sheard in carbonite. It would be a favor to SW fans worldwide.

12. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Can you freeze someone with a blood alcohol level that high..?

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Hmmmm... Never thought of that.

14. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I know there's got to be enough Vodka in you to let you suvive a winter on Hoth!

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Hey, now! I resemble that remark!

If I had been in The Shining, the woman and the kid would've been history at the end of the movie.

16. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    I disagree with the Fan GOH. It should be the SMT, not the 501st.

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

17. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Grace:I disagree with the Fan GOH. It should be the SMT, not the 501st.

I don't know if they could stand that level of cynicism and sarcasm!

-Joe

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000

To be perfectly frank, I did find it amusing that the local fan group was passed over, but it didn't hurt my feelings, (especially after our miserable experience when we participated back in 2003). I hold no hard feelings toward the 501st for receiving the "honor" of being the Fan GoH. They are a costuming group dedicated to iconic, easily-recognizable images, meaning they are flashier and higher-profile, and that works better for MSC's programming needs. We're a fan group dedicated to all aspects of Star Wars, (not solely costuming), and that makes us a lot lower profile, (which is fine with me- I like what we have, and would never dream of implementing costuming requirements for public recognition. That's not what were here for.) I'm glad to see SW represented at MSC, even if it is only on the costuming end.

Oh, and then there?s Michael Sheard. I forgot about him. On purpose.

I also suspect that MSC may have been a little peeved over TimmyCon!'s success. I mean, we did get 200 people to show up on a rainy Saturday for $22 in advertising costs. (Which is, if I am not mistaken, roughly a third of their average attendance.) That, and the fact that Lin and I have been openly critical of MSC, and have been very vocal in our displeasure with their unrecognizable guests and programming, (which is why TimmyCon came about in the first place.)

Lin has passed on much information regarding higher-profile guests for MSC, including David Prowse and Anthony Daniels. In fact, he tried to convince them to get Prowse for this year because of the release of Ep III and the marketing blitz featuring Vader. If they had followed his advice, and included the 501st as the Fan GOH, I think they could've attracted even the casual SW and SciFi fans.

Joe: Us, sarcastic and cynical? Never!

19. Obi-G-Y-N

Obi-G-Y-N Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2004
    Gots to give the 501st troops their props- and I don't mean movie replicas!

They bust their behinds to make authentic as possible replica costumes, and don't mind sharing the info on how to do so with other fans. They are organized, look professional, and will share their time and knowledge. Got to admire that.

Then there's the SMT, where we have a hard time getting folks to show up for anything. I'm not complaining or pointing fingers- just stating the fact. I dig the heck out of Drive-In Nights and getting together for MSC and other events, but we are a rag-tag group at best, some more ragged than others. But we do have members that do go out of their way, and some who can drink any other SW fan club and rebel scum under the table. Got to admire that! :)

I've openly ridiculed the MSC because after attending them since the late 80's and attending other cons/shows around the country, I wanted to see some change in the programming. I've found out not all of the con-comm are welcome to criticism- constructive or not. It's been a slow thing coming, but has gotten more enjoyable with more SW and comic programming, guests like Dragon (and his flask), and a bunch of Jedi, Sith, stormtroopers, and bounty hunters roaming the halls and parties. I hope to see it grow. I hope they can find a way to reach more of the sci-fi fans in the mid-south. This town needs a good show. I know we had a lot of folks at TC!1 ask us about MSC, but we also had a lot of folks have no idea it existed. After 22+ years I find that disturbing.

Timmycon!...man, what a surprize, huh?! 200 attendees , a dozen dealers tables, two digital projectors, costumed Jedi- heck, we even had a syndicated comic strip artist and and Image comic book artist and writer stop by. All for $22, a few favors, and a few days of planning. Not bad if I do say so myself. I hope TC!2 will be as much fun.

I've heard there is another con/show hitting the MidSouth in the fall, but haven't seen any new info on it lately. There's ShadowCon, nice folks (and they take care of their dealer room merchants well) but it's more of an SCA event- althought the 501st was a big hit there last year (and probably made up half of the attendees!)

Anyway, here's hoping everyone has a great time at MSC. If it wasn't around I wouldn't know any of you! :)

Lin

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    We are indeed a rag-tag group, as Lin so aptly described, suffering from the curse of Memphis memberships: The "I don't want to get involved" blues. It's hard as hell to get anyone involved in anything around here, and when we do a really dynamic, outgoing member to join, they get burned out after a while because very few others share the same level of involvement. It's easy to get burned out, especially after you put your heart and soul into something and it doesn't pay off.

21. Obi-G-Y-N

Jan 19, 2004
    That's why you'll never see me as president of this group! I hear it makes you start drinking... ;)

Besides, I learned my lesson with the MSCA!

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Oy! Isn't that the truth!

Now that you mention it, it's SMT Election time.

23. Obi-G-Y-N

Jan 19, 2004
    I need a drink...

24. Jaygo_Fett

Jaygo_Fett Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2004
    well seeing that we're in a state of turmoil..I think we should skip elections and grant all emergency power to Palpatim....

25. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I love democracy... I love the SMT...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.