main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN MSC23- MidSouthCon in Memphis April 1-3, 2005

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dork-Vader, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Now that you mention it, it's SMT Election time.

Dude, we cut that out last year, remember? Unless some of the newer folks want to run. *shrugs*

EDIT - And I can't believe I just posted that in an MSC thread...WAY off topic. *sigh* It's contagious.

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I don't want to be accused of being a despot. [face_laugh]

Anyway, no one else wanted the job last year. We did that whole "Emergency Powers" thing.

Or was it an "Austin Powers" thing? Can't really remember.

We're dragging you down with our bad habits, aren't we, Rhonda?

3. Obi-G-Y-N

Obi-G-Y-N Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2004
    "Yeah, baby- yeah!"

And now we return you the the MSC thread...

4. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Slid by ShadowCon Friday to drop off MSC, SMT, and BT flyers and postcards. It was after 7pm and they looked like they were still setting up the dealers room! Didn't see any of our friends from the 501st there, but I just did a walk thru and dropped off the freebies. They may all be going to MSC and C3 instead this year.

5. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    alot of us had other things going on and werent able to make it,
    there were a number of members that did make it.but more than likely they were in the rooms friday night partying.....
    i spoke to one of the guys sat night that was there,the green clonetrooper.he was having enough fun to make up for us not being there.

6. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Somehow I don't doubt it! I wonder if bongos were involved... ;)

7. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    heh Shadow Legion Chicks....you will not find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.

8. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Two things about ShadowCon- first, they take care of their dealers room folks. I didn't have to go to the con-suite all day both days because I always had someone stop by to take food/drink orders.

Second- they are SLOOOOOOOOOW setting up! I went by at 7pm Friday and they were still setting up the dealers room- or at least I hope they were still setting up..! I saw Mitch set up at the back of the room, and one lady with costumes by the front door. Didn't really notice anyone else. I know last year I went into work for a couple hours and then headed over to the hotel to set up, only to spend most of the morning/afternoon killing time waiting for someone to open the dealers room. I looked on their site and didn't see any actual times listed. Don't know if it was on any of their flyers or not.

Again, they were all nice folks to work with, but one of the most unorganized events I've ever seen! I wish them well, and hope this past weekend went well for them. Each con/show that does good can only help the next one in town, but so can each one that does bad turn off sci-fi fans and hurt other shows. I hope MSC can pull things together for a good one this April.

9. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    Can't wait to see all of the SMTers again at MSC. I financially couldn't do ShadowCon, but that was cool because there was a funeral had to attend on Sunday & I'd been worn out from the driving. I think there should have been around 4-5 501sters at ShadowCon. Somehow they committed the ultimate sin of not taking pictures of the debauchery. [face_devil]

10. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    So no new, "Your honor, exhibit 'A'." shots, huh? ;)

Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be enough photo ops at MSC!

11. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    BTW- the founder of the 'Fighting 501st' has a daughter fighting cancer. Since the 501st is the fan guests of honor this year at MSC I thought I'd post this link.

http://www.heartofanempire.com/Katie/

There may be a fund raiser at MSC for her. I'll let you all know.

Lin

12. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    There may be a fund raiser at MSC for her. I'll let you all know.

I think that's a wonderful idea, Lin!! One of the fanfic writers has that link in her sig (which is a really good idea) and I've been thinking that we should do something as a group for her.

Let me know if you need help with the fundraiser. I'd be happy to attend MSC if for no other reason....in costume, even. ;)

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Ditto. Especially for such a good cause.

14. valarltd

valarltd Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2005
    I'm Lady Angel.
    I know I'm virtually unknown. I was invited to MSC because I am published and am a local library staffer. I was pretty amazed myself.

I was amazed to learn (after living here 7 years) that there is a SW fanclub in town. Then again, I've been busy.

I'm active in certain segments of the online fandom (NOT connected with TFN, I'm in with the Sith Chicks actually) My Bunny (age 12) and I dressed as cantina dancers for the last Media West Con. (she was a purple twi'lek, I was an askajian.)

What is the culture of the con? I've been to several different ones, and I doubt this will be the one with the middle-aged lesbians talking about hot boys. I see a much stronger male presence than I am used to in fandom and I haven't been to a con with guests in ages.

15. Mkingsley

Mkingsley Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    50% of the attendees are gamers; about 5-10% of those are ... aromatic. And I don't mean after shave.

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Welcome to the boards, Lady Angel. The SMT is only 2 1/2 (and acting our age appropriately).

I've heard a lot about Sith Chicks. To be more precise, I've heard a lot about some of the fanfic posted at Sith Chicks. :eek:

To Michael (Mkingsley) you listen! He's our contact with MSC, and he's right about what he told you. I've been trying to get MSC to let the SMT host a panel entitled "Soap, Water, You, Everyday. We Have The Technology". He isn't kidding around with that "aromatic" remark!

As far as the fanboys at MSC... Well, let me say this: There are a whole lot of guys dancing alone at the ball on Saturday night at MSC. (Or at least all dancing in a circle doing something resembling a hand jive. Won't go into what we called it.)

17. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    As far as the fanboys at MSC... Well, let me say this: There are a whole lot of guys dancing alone at the ball on Saturday night at MSC. (Or at least all dancing in a circle doing something resembling a hand jive. Won't go into what we called it.)

It's two words. One of them is "circle" and the other begins with "J", right? ;)

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    And it doesn't stand for "Jazz". ;)

19. TamboFett

TamboFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 8, 2003
    If you guys added to the fundraiser to help Katie that would be great, thanks for thinking about helping our leaders brave little girl.

on another note i hear in the new that memphis is having an outbreak of Shigellosis. maybe it's time for that class on SOAP.

20. TamboFett

Jul 8, 2003
    for those who don't know...

How do people catch Shigella?

The Shigella bacteria pass from one infected person to the next. Shigella are present in the diarrheal stools of infected persons while they are sick and for a week or two afterwards. Most Shigella infections are the result of the bacterium passing from stools or soiled fingers of one person to the mouth of another person. This happens when basic hygiene and handwashing habits are inadequate. It is particularly likely to occur among toddlers who are not fully toilet-trained. Family members and playmates of such children are at high risk of becoming infected.

Shigella infections may be acquired from eating contaminated food. Contaminated food may look and smell normal. Food may become contaminated by infected food handlers who forget to wash their hands with soap after using the bathroom. Vegetables can become contaminated if they are harvested from a field with sewage in it. Flies can breed in infected feces and then contaminate food. Shigella infections can also be acquired by drinking or swimming in contaminated water. Water may become contaminated if sewage runs into it, or if someone with shigellosis swims in it.

Allrighty then how about we share some Chocolate Covered Pretzels at the Con suite.

21. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Glen I think you've been watching too much Debbie Downer on SNL :)

As for ShadowCon, I was there Friday night and Saturday morning and have been sick ever since. Way too much fun Friday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's just say I left my mark on the floor in the room. And, Zach I took some pics :)

Also Lady Angel at MSC you will see on average about 30 501st members in costume along with my SMT family in costume. You will have a blast because we won't let it happen any other way :)

Trace I think a fund raiser is an awesome idea. You're da bomb!!!

22. TamboFett

Jul 8, 2003
    "As for ShadowCon, I was there Friday night and Saturday morning and have been sick ever since." Chuck... it sounds like you have the Con Shigella.

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Con Shigella

I think Glenn has just created a new medical term.

And now I want to go to MSC in a fully-functioning biohazard suit.

24. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    How do people catch Shigella?

The Shigella bacteria pass from one infected person to the next. Shigella are present in the diarrheal stools of infected persons while they are sick and for a week or two afterwards. Most Shigella infections are the result of the bacterium passing from stools or soiled fingers of one person to the mouth of another person. This happens when basic hygiene and handwashing habits are inadequate. It is particularly likely to occur among toddlers who are not fully toilet-trained. Family members and playmates of such children are at high risk of becoming infected.

Shigella infections may be acquired from eating contaminated food. Contaminated food may look and smell normal. Food may become contaminated by infected food handlers who forget to wash their hands with soap after using the bathroom. Vegetables can become contaminated if they are harvested from a field with sewage in it. Flies can breed in infected feces and then contaminate food. Shigella infections can also be acquired by drinking or swimming in contaminated water. Water may become contaminated if sewage runs into it, or if someone with shigellosis swims in it.

[image=http://www.aprs62.dsl.pipex.com/funnies/Horror.jpg]

25. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I hope that's a Baby Ruth candy bar, Ben. If not, just lie to me and tell me it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.