main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN MSC23- MidSouthCon in Memphis April 1-3, 2005

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dork-Vader, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Lady Angel- welcome. Hope to run into you at MSC. I'll have a table set up in the hall. Slide by and say hi. Same to everybody else!

Not sure what costume(s)I want to wear to the con. I know I'll do the jedi one at some point- maybe Saturday afternoon. I'll probably do something else for the costume contest, if I do it. Would love to do a dead Elvis- but would need to drop a few to fit into that one.

Sad when you have to lose weight to fit into an Elvis jumpsuit! May have to look into getting one of those 'bat-boy' cotumes in the Liberty Meadows strip today.

BTW- the SMT pig will be on the con postal stamp cancellation this year! I believe they will be available at the art show. (Mike, corect me if I'm wrong!)

2. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    I think it's a Snickers or Lion bar, Tim.

3. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    perhaps as a service to MSC we could post a trooper in the mens room.He could enforce that "washing your hands after you pee on them " rule that most of us clean people adhere to...........................

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I think that's a brilliant idea, Skip.

Uh, those helmets can filter out the noxious fumes of a men's room, right?

5. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    As long as I don't hear Vaders heavy breathing in there again!

"I have you now!"

6. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    perhaps as a service to MSC we could post a trooper in the mens room.He could enforce that "washing your hands after you pee on them " rule that most of us clean people adhere to...........................

[image=http://www.aprs62.dsl.pipex.com/funnies/stormtrooper.jpg]

[image=http://www.aprs62.dsl.pipex.com/funnies/stormtroopers.JPG]

7. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    I guess I should volunteer for that since I'll be the one picked to do it anyway.

Chuck

8. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    dont wory chuck,
    after glenn's bacterial rant we'll ALL be doing it!
    especially since our table will be setup right outside the mens room.
    believe me,ill be stopping people as they come out while im in armor,

"excuse me,are these your germs?,how long have you had this bacteria" wash up then, "move along,move along".......

9. TK_1427

Oct 12, 2003
  10. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    "These aren't the geeks your looking for..."

So do those helmets help filter out the con-funk?

BTW Skip, I'll be set up next to you guys this year where the SMT was in 2003.

11. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    While Memphis has Mid-South Con -
    Same Bat-time, different Bat-Channel

Planet Comicon

The same weekend.
    We might be going. Since Gina's parents live less than an hour away, no hotel expenses.
    And wouldja look at that? Only $15 for a 2-day pass. ($12 in advance.)

-Joe

12. Johnny-Vegas

Johnny-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2004
    That looks like a pretty good little con. Maybe I will try that one in a year or two.

Has it been mentioned on this board that Kevin is planning (or hosting--I've only heard snippits, so I don't know if this is his brainchild or someone else's) a mini-con called, I think, Hero Con, the first weekend of May?

13. TK_1427

Oct 12, 2003
    That's what I was posting about in the "Suggestion Box" thread. I think he said May 5, 6, and 7.

Chuck

14. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    First I've heard about it. I'd love to do it. I should have the first issue of Bushi Tales in hand by then, as well as some BT swag to hand out. I know Antone's next Jetta book will be out in April and he'd love to do it. Might could get Adam Shaw, Greg, and some of the other MSCA folks to go. I'll give him a yell about it the next time I see him. This, plus TC!2, the NCS/SEC meeting, and the SuperHero Celebration in October might show folks around town that there is interest in this stuff.

And for any MSC folks who might be checking out this thread...go look at the Planet Comicon site!

http://www.planetcomicon.com/

Two Star Wars guests(Boba AND Chewie), Michael Turner(one of the hottest comic book artists around), and BABES! All for only $12 a day or $15 for two days?!

C'mon...Memphis can do better.

15. Chewbracca

Chewbracca Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    I don't mean to sound negative, but does the guest list ever change? It seems like these are the same people that come every year.

16. Valeska

Valeska Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    I think I like our group a little better because, from what I have heard, the difference between SMT and the 501st is like the difference between casual gamers and hard core ones. They both may have a real good time but the latter is a bit too rigid and one-track to suit someone as flightly as me.

gmf

17. TK_1427

Oct 12, 2003
    Some of us here happen to be members of both groups. And as Tim can attest, I am one of the few that is very active in the SMT and I am also very active in the 501st. I like both clubs equally because each one are friendly and diverse and although they have different standards for membership, they are both quite a bit of fun. In my personal opinion, the only differences that I have found, is that in the 501st, more members are active and you have to have a movie quality costume to join the 501st, where here you do not. Other than that, I find little difference between the two. Now if I was a member of another FanForce club in another city or another 501st Garrison, I might have a different opinion as others I know do. I hope this doesn't come across as a flame or anything negative. That is not my intention. Just my frendily little opinion about both groups :)

Chuck

18. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I don't mean to sound negative, but does the guest list ever change? It seems like these are the same people that come every year.

Are you talking about the MSC or Planet line up? I've never been to the Planet one so I dodn't know. MSC has Steve Rude and Brinke Stevens- both have never been to MSC that I know of. Don't know about the other guests, other than Michael Sheard who has be a returning guest for a few years now. This will be the first year I'll actually be listed as a actual guest, along with my BT comics partner Dave Beaty.

The 501st will be the fan-guests of honor. Really looking forward to seeing a great turn out by them. Nothing cooler than hearing a bunch of stormtroopers marching down a hall, or Darth Vaders breathing around a corner! Ok, a parade of hot slave Leia's would be cooler, but not very likely! ;)

Can't wait to party with the SMT and 501st!

Lin

19. TK_1427

Oct 12, 2003
    You guys have to come by the 501st party suite at MSC. It's going to have a "Cantina" theme including adult beverages, a live band (which I will be playing guitar) and so on. So come party with us and come laugh at my playing!! This is going to be better than C3!! Well it would be if MSC had the same guests.

20. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Which night(s) are you guys partying, Chuck?

And should we attempt a group picture sometime Saturday?

21. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    We're definitely planning on being there Saturday for the party and for the costume contest. We'll definitely have to schedule a group photo. It's probably going to be extra difficult with the 501st being involved in panels and such, and with all the other things that will be going on that weekend.

That is going to be one busy and exciting weekend, everyone. Keep you schedules clear and dust off your costumes.

22. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Chewbracca posted on 3/5/05 10:35pm
    [hr][/blockquote]

Yep, Chris. Just about. And that the smaller con has bigger name guests says it all. [face_wink]

What MSC needs is an overhaul.

I might come for the party at MSC that night. I have to look you guys up. Keep the batline free!

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    They don't seem to get much fresh blood in there at all. They focus so much on literary stuff, I think they forget that the mainstream has no idea who the heck most of their guest are, nor do they care. You're right about the overhaul, Rhonda.... MSC needs a facelift.

Or a mortician.

24. TK_1427

Oct 12, 2003
    The party is all weekend. I'm definitely up for a group pic for sure. Yes, all of you come by and have a drink on me. Hey, we should play that song cause AC/DC rocks.

Chuck

25. TamboFett

TamboFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 8, 2003
    Satuday group pic....I'm thinking between 2 and 3..... 2:30, depending on any events that we might have to do....then it's party on all night long in the Cantina....we must all stay in character and in costume.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.