main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN MSC23- MidSouthCon in Memphis April 1-3, 2005

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dork-Vader, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Once y'all start getting some semblance of a schedule for that Saturday, give me a shout. With all that will be going on inside and outside the Con, I'm sure it's going to be extremely hectic, but, if it's possible to set a designated time for the group pic, then everyone will know beforehand just when to be there and in costume.

2. Mkingsley

Mkingsley Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    They don't seem to get much fresh blood in there at all. They focus so much on literary stuff, I think they forget that the mainstream has no idea who the heck most of their guest are, nor do they care. You're right about the overhaul, Rhonda.... MSC needs a facelift.

Planetcomicon is obviously a for-profit venture. Nothing wrong with that ... DragonCon is one and it works great, but mediacons aren't the easiest thing to operate (witness the recent closing of Slanted Fedora Entertainment). Creation Entertainment is probably the best at it, and they limit it to only a few cities. See also All about Sci-Fi Conventions and Before You Begin to Plan a Sci-Fi Convention...some things to consider.

Most volunteer-based SF cons nationwide have applied for IRS 501(c)(3) tax-exemption status, which means operating as an organization that is charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and/or the prevention of cruelty to children or animals.

Regarding the same guests every year, I suspect that has more to do with their place of residency, looking at the guest lists for some other conventions nationwide. Except for Michael Sheard, who keeps returning here every d*mn year. Don't ask me why.

Or a mortician.

Or new blood. That, to me, is the most important thing. And as anyone on this board who has witnessed one of the ConComm meetings in all its glorious efficiency can attest, lotsa luck there! But actually, MSC has improved quite a bit from my first experience, which was truly godawful.

Actually, people need to nominate major Guests of Honor, and actually attend those meetings to vote on them. Hopefully, meeting attendees will choose guests according to what they think the attendees want, rather than people that only they just want. And I have to admit I am more than guilty of this. I wasn't at the meeting to vote on who the Media Guest of Honor would be, but seeing as my main choices were Amber Benson (Little Head Choice)[face_love], David Prowse (Big Head Choice):-B, and Brinke Stevens (Little Head Choice)[face_love] ... if I had attended, I would have went for Brinke or Amber.

3. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Mike: Planetcomicon is obviously a for-profit venture. Nothing wrong with that ... DragonCon is one and it works great, but mediacons aren't the easiest thing to operate (witness the recent closing of Slanted Fedora Entertainment). Creation Entertainment is probably the best at it, and they limit it to only a few cities.

Planet is for-profit, but it isn't run by a big company. It's just sponsored by a single comic book store - Planet Comics in Kansas City. Much like the horror/comic-con in Nashville for the past couple of years has been sponsored by a comic store. Just so you know that it can be done locally and w/o involving one o fthe big media sponsor companies.

Regarding the same guests every year, I suspect that has more to do with their place of residency, looking at the guest lists for some other conventions nationwide. Except for Michael Sheard, who keeps returning here every d*mn year. Don't ask me why.

Does MSC pay for travel expenses or room & board? I know most comic book writers/artists just want their travel and hotel covered and they will gladly attend any con. John Ostrander (writer - "Star Wars: Republic") just said on his board that if they pay his way, he'll come, but he can't afford to do it on his own dime.

And I have to admit I am more than guilty of this. I wasn't at the meeting to vote on who the Media Guest of Honor would be, but seeing as my main choices were Amber Benson (Little Head Choice) , David Prowse (Big Head Choice) , and Brinke Stevens (Little Head Choice) ... if I had aattended, I I would have went for Brinke or Amber.

Any other year, I would be with you (big fan of Amber, and we met Brinke in Chicago 10 years ago and she was great fun), but the year of the last Star Wars movie, to get the chance to have Vader (even if it is Prowse), would have made the con.

-Joe

4. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    AdventureCon in Knoxvegas is not sponsered by a big company and they get killer guests every year. I really think MSC is capable of the mainstream guests, but I think they need to hear it from the con goers and actually listen to them. After all, we're the customers and you give the customers what they want to be sucessful.

5. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Three main things I've noticed about MSC and the con-comm- they don't like change or opinions that aren't theirs, they only want guests they want to see, and use charity as an excuse not to have any money to do anything.

I've also been involved with running charity events. You have to spend it to make it. The trick is keeping the costs down, having good volunteers to work it, delegate duties well, and try to get as many donations as you can to help with the costs. It's not easy, but can be done.

Now, if I was running a con, I'd want to have guests I'd like to met, but I'd also bring in some who would have a much more mass appeal just to increase the door. You have to look at the big picture and figure out what direction the con should go in, and what's best for the con in the long run.

I've been to a couple con-comm 'meetings'. They usually never start on time, have no organization to them, people speak out of turn and off topic constantly and carry on seperate conversations, and if a head of a group isn't there there isn't anyone to speak or vote in their place. I'm not even going to get into the 'Mitch love-fests' that happen at each meeting. One more of those and I'll pass on any and all future MSCs.

I've tried to be involved through volunteering my time and art, as well as kicking in a few bucks to get Steve Rude here. I'm doing a lot to make the Bushi Tales booth the best it can be, and Dave is flying in on his own dime.

IF the con wants new blood they're going to have to make folks want to join in because it looks fun and exciting- not because it looks boring and/or a pain in the arse.

Just my opinion.

Hope to see you all there. Stop by the BT booth or the art show meet/greet on Friday if you can. I'll bring the jedi costume for the group pic. I will try and post a schedule if I get one before con. With the TRU event and all it will be a VERY busy weekend.

Mike- can you post a schedule if you get one before me?

6. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Hey gang, starting this month it's the-

First Annual "Bushi Tales" Costume Contest

Pencil Neck Studios is announcing the first ever ?Bushi Tales? costume contest. Fans of ?Bushi Tales? and ?Stargodz? are encouraged to dress as their favorite character from ?Bushi Tales? or ?Stargodz? and show it off! Wear it to a convention, wear it for Halloween, wear it around the house, just take a picture of yourself in costume and email it to us at Dave@bu****ales.com. You can also stop by in costume at the ?Bushi Tales? booth at AniZona, MidSouthCon, Coppercon, or any of our signing appearances to enter as well. There will be several winners and lots of cool prizes. So break out those sewing machines, imaginations, and cameras!

(1) Grand Prize: Free one year membership in the ?Bushi Tales? fan club, an original ?Bushi Tales? comic page featuring one or more of the girls and/or a monster, a signed ?Bushi Tales? print or poster, a signed ?Bushi Tales? comic book, ?Bushi Tales? embroidered hat, signed ?Bushi Tales? soundtrack CD, and a gift bag with some other cool ?Bushi Tales? swag!

(3) Runners-up: Free one year membership in the ?Bushi Tales? fan club, a ?Bushi Tales? signed print, comic book, and soundtrack- plus a gift bag with misc. ?Bushi Tales? swag from the prize closet!

(1-6) Honorable Mentions: A ?Bushi Tales? signed print, ?Bushi Tales? comic book- plus a gift bag with misc. ?Bushi Tales? swag!

*(Swag may be buttons, magnets, stickers, mouse pads, tees, coffee mugs, other comics, or other assorted items.)

Winners will be posted on the official ?Bushi Tales? website http://www.Bu****ales.com and in a future issue of the ?Bushi Tales? comic book.

Contest ends December 1, 2005. No purchase necessary. By submitting a photo to Pencil Neck Studios or having your photo taken at our booth you agree to having it printed or posted by Pencil Neck Studios on the ?Bushi Tales? comic and/or website. All ages are welcome to enter. If you are under 18 please have a parent or legal guardian submit the photo along with your name, age, their relationship to you, and their consent. Winners will be contacted by email by December 15, 2005. Please send jpegs 150-200 dpi, no smaller than 3"x5" and no larger than 5"x7" to Dave@bu****ales.com. All submitted entries become the property of Bu****ales.com. Any submitted entries are a binding agreement to all the Official Rules.

To see the official rules please go to: http://www.bu****ales.com/new/cosplay.php

Have fun and keep it in focus- no blurry pics, please!

Lin

Oh, and be sure to check out the new "Jetta: Tales Of The Toshigawa" costume contest. Antone is giving away some original art and other cool Jetta swag to the winners. More info at- http://www.toshigawa.com .

If you know anyone who is into cosplay or just wants to have a cool con or Halloween costume then let 'em know!

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    It's going to take a woman with some major...well, you know... to fill out a Jetta costume.

Looks like I have a new costume project. It won't be ready this year, that's for sure!

8. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Last weekend Kev and I called Antone to see what he and Janet were up to and if they wanted to get together to work on some stuff for MSC and his comic. He said he had to work out and then go take pictures of his wife. We know how busy he is so we offered to take the pics for him, but he wouldn't go for it. He's got them up on his forum now-
    http://www.shootingstarcomics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=235&sid=a53727214006d447aef3dea94fa0f9c6

BTW- congrats to Antone for this coming out in June-
    [image=http://www.shootingstarcomics.com/covers/shootingstarcomicsanthology8.jpg]
    Shooting Star Comics Anthology #8
    by Various with guests Stephen L. Antczak and Georges Jeanty. Cover by Dan Brereton and Martheus Wade

Dan Brereton recently did the alternative Ghostbusters covers for 88MPH Studios.

9. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Well, it's getting closer. Just a little over a week and a half to go now. Talked to Carlin about the schedule and it looks like Dave and I will be busy all weekend!

Got my ninja sculpt done this weekend. We'll have pics of it up on the BT site soon. Got to start getting everyting together- costume, table stuffs, etc. Last night I put together two Bushi Tales prize tote bags for the con-suite giveaway. Dave uploaded the new BT soundtrack art and has sent the master CD off to Cafe Press. Hopefully they'll be ready for MSC.

Be sure to stop by our table in the lobby, or come by the artist meet/greet in the art show on Friday night.

Lin

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    See you there, Lin. It's going to be a busy weekend.

11. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Man, yeah! So far this is my schedule:

Friday-
    6:30-8pm Art show meet/greet.

8pm Opening Ceremonies

9pm Intro to Comics Guests

10pm Mythology and Legends in Comics (Dave and I)

Midnight- Toys R Us run!

Saturday-
    10am Steve Rude painting class/demo (Dave and I will be taking this.)

2pm Alternative Methods of Comic Publishing (Dave and I with Kathryn White- hopefully Antone, too.)

8pm Costume pre-judging

10pm Masquerade

12 Dance and room parties!

Sunday-
    Recover from parties on Saturday night!

1pm Modern Comics Productions (Dave and I)

4pm closing ceremonies

There's also plenty of panels I'd like to catch:

Friday-
    5pm Teen Heroes and Sidekicks

6pm Collecting on a Budget

Saturday-
    12pm Costuming workshop

1pm Basic Star Wars Costuming with the 501st.

3pm Nexus/Moth panel with Steve Rude

4pm Can Comics Conquer the MidSouth

5pm- I'm torn. A martial arts demo, Learning Japaneses thru Anime, or Promotion for Paupers: How to Market Your Book With Litle or No Money, or going to grab some dinner! The banquet will be going on and leaving to get some BBQ would be nice...may wait until 7pm to go, though.

6pm How Anime Affects Western Culture

10pm Animae and Martial arts. I hate I'll miss this one because of the masquerade...

Sunday-
    11am Advanced Star Wars Costuming with the 501st and Pumping Up The BloodStream with Adam Shaw and Penny Register. I may have to catch half of each I'm afraid.

2pm Science Fiction in Comics with Eddy Zeno and Carlin Stuart.

3pm Bossy, Sassy, Bitchy, and Sexy: Female Characters in SF

Luckily a few of these are in the same room after each other, or ones I'm on a panel. Still, will be a VERY busy weekend!

Hope you all can make it out to at least some of it. :)

12. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Just got to listen to the whole Bushi Tales soundtrack. Dave sent me a copy of the master. Dang- this is REALLY cool! It's all techno, so I'm going to have to bring a copy to the MSC party on Saturday night. If I'm gonna bust a move it's gonna be to this! I really dig the BT theme. Joel really nailed the feeling of the book with this one.

The CD should be on-line for sale by MSC.

13. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Question for the 501st guys: Will y'all be doing a big group picture this year and, if so, when/where?

My kids have been watching the Clone Wars cartoons with us and I think they'd get a kick out of seeing all you guys in armor.....not to mention my youngest loves "Darth Veeder." I'm just trying to plan ahead to know when to have them where.

Are any SMT'ers doing costumes on Saturday at MSC?

14. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    i dont believe we have any official time for a group photo.we should have a good amount of troops out before our panel(which i think is around 1pm)
    im bringing vader,which is only about half of what i had last year.ive replaced nearly half of it ,it seems.
    but ill probably be wearing the ARC trooper during the day.might have vader on friday night though.its hard to say.id like to cruise over to Toysrus in vader.

15. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    I don't think the TRU thing would be the same without Vader. You da man Skip!!!!!!!!

16. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    My kids are only 3 and 8 years old and won't be around Friday night at midnight.

But yeah, Chuck is right. Can't do a ROTS gig without Vader. [face_devil]

17. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Last year the 501st had a great turnout of members in costume, including a Vader, Jengo, Boba, and a bunch of troopers and even a Greedo for the costuming panel on Saturday.

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I like it when they go beyond just the standard stormtrooper fare and have a good variety. I can't wait to see what they bring this year.

C'mon, Skip, get someone to don the Vader for my three-year-old. It'll really make her day.

19. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Are any SMT'ers doing costumes on Saturday at MSC?

J and I are. And we'll be dragging a rather unhappy Jedi along with us for the ride. Hehehe. Wesley ain't gonna get to be Kaiba this year.

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I'll be young, pre-screwed-up face Sideous that night. I'm not going to do the makeup for Saturday night.

21. TamboFett

TamboFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 8, 2003
    Oh the Southern Outpost has lots of new costumes, members and stuff that will make you join the dark side. Don't miss our party room and live band this year.

22. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    And belly-dancers, too I'm sure! ;)

Tim, too bad you didn't hang onto the old man mask from the haunt- that would have been great!

Just found out that Dave will be doing three cons in three weeks! He got an invite last weekend at AniZona to come to CactusCon. Steve Rude will be there as well. Dave said he had a ton of invites from other con-organizers and a lot of compliments to the art and booth set up.

BTW- the first few BT pages are up in the story section of the site. Look for the link at the top of the page. There will be a new page each week. I finished a new Hachiman painting last night. Now I just have to finish the Jetta sculpt and fix Ra's wings..!

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Chuck just called me from MSC. He said that Fox 13 will be doing their weather cast from there, and that the 501st and other SW folks will be the background. If anyone wants to drop by, they'll be doing it from 5-6 pm tonight.

24. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Awww, dude!

25. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    We had a blast at MSC this weekend. We didn't get home until 4:30 this morning, so we're really tired.

Congrats to Lin and Dave for winning for Best Sci-Fi Presentation at the MSC Masquerade for their "The Silence of the Sith" skit (Silent Bob meets George Lucas. Schnoogies. ). Kell took home the Best Sci-Fi Costume award for her Amidala celebration dress from Episode I. (It was simply brilliant. Her best work yet.) Skip took home the Best Horror Costume Award for his Spawn costume, and Kevin and I won the award for Best Group Presentation for our performances as Audrey II and Seymore from "Little Shop of Horrors".

I was really pleased with the SW turnout this year. It seems like we're taking over MSC a little more every year. Who knows... Maybe it'll turn out to be an OK Con after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.