main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update MSU/ATB for August 18th

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Dark_Jedi_Kenobi, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    MSU:
    MODERATOR NEWS:

NYCitygurl is having internet issues at the moment but will hopefully have them straightened out by Monday.
    Strilo is on vacation until August 24th with limited to no internet access.
    s65horsey is under the weather and on reduced time.
    DarthXan318 is currently on reduced time due to vacation and family obligations.
    Sinrebirth is away until early September on his honeymoon.

MOVE UPDATE:

Now that Celebration V is over, the main focus in MS has returned to preparing for the move. More details to come later.

PROBLEM USERS:

Were discussed and handled accordingly.

ATB:
    The Arena:
    The FIBA World Championships are about to tip off! Can the USA continue their new reign as kings of the world? Or will another country rise up? Discuss it in the Arena, and stop by and try your hand at winning colors in the FIBA World Championship Single Pick Game. NYCitygurl reminds you that we also have FIBA-themed icons available for use.

The Classic Trilogy:
    The CT forum is abuzz with the newly discovered cut scene from Return of the Jedi.

LACWAC:
    With the onslaught of Celebration V news and video clips, the forum is bubbling with discussion. Savage Oppress? Nightsisters? Oh, my! Less than a month til Season 3 starts.

Celebration V:
    This week we would like to extend a special thanks to all of our CV party organizers! For those who want to say thanks personally, there's an appreciation thread here in the CV forum.

2. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    We have been preparing for what like three months now?

3. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    You know, you're right. We're only trying to move a database with a few hundred million individual pieces of data from a custom designed program developed in one programming language to another commercially customisable program written in a completely different language and with different schemas.

That should only take a day or two to set up and execute at the most.

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Actually Matt, Jack says he could do it even faster.

5. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    The Fan Fic Awards are also still going on. We just announced winners in the Before the Saga ceremony (hosted by yours truly) and the Saga ceremony. This upcoming weekend will have the Beyond the Saga and Non-Star Wars ceremonies.

6. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Believe it or not, for a move this size a lot has to happen and a lot of prep work has to take place. I'm sure you can understand that.

7. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Don't take this the wrong way but us the JCC have a right to be a smart alec after being told before we were moving and we didn't. Its like a politician saying they will stop corruption. Same story, won't believe it till we see it. So take your lumps. Its not that bad. This is the JC sarcasm comes included with bureaucracy.

8. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Beezel please don't assume you speak for the rest of us.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I used to work as a database administrator and did my share of conversions of mainframe databases. Believe me - I'd rather have the lead-in work take longer to ensure that things go OK for the live move. This isn't really something that you rush.

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    beezel

11. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    You know, you're right. You guys were the ones that logged over three hundred hours in development and coding time the last time that this occurred and so have a complete right to hassle us about a timeframe we have admitted from the start was unknown and impacted by the biggest SW fan event with the majority of people with technical expertise attending. We have been so secretive and refusing to give any information both this time and last time so therefore we should justly expect people to show no common decency or sense about it.

And BTW, while certain things may be expected in the JCC, this is Comms. What we expect here is that people can show a level of maturity and respect so that issues can be dealt with and sorted correctly.

12. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I don't see what difference it makes how long it takes to begin with. Aside from wanting it done right, which will require time and patience, how does it inconvenience anyone that its taking a while for the move to occur?? The only reason I can fathom to make an issue of it, is to drum up drama and attention.

13. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm absolutely outraged that the move is taking so long. For one thing, I have had my bags packed for THREE MONTHS. This means that each time I want to take a shower I have to unpack my shower. This is hugely inconvenient - and not to mention expensive as I have to negotiate water rates afresh each time I connect it up to the mains water supply. It's costing me an absolute fortune. So please, MS, please either get on and sort this move out or issue me with some sort of voucher enabling me to access free mains water for as long as I am left in the lurch by your incompetence.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I always pack my bags at the last minute, so I don't have that problem, my dear Everton.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

15. World_Cup_Wally

World_Cup_Wally Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2010

Also, please think of Everton's neighbours, friends, co-workers, and the average man, woman and child he passes on the street. Everton doesn't like to make a fuss so he wouldn't mention it but you see he put in the time and effort to pack away his clothes in anticipation of a quick move and only left out the 2010/2011 Everton away kit to wear.

[image=http://www.thefinalthird.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/everton_away_kit_2011.jpg]

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Seems like a 'Chang' shirt to me, not an 'Everton' one.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

17. World_Cup_Wally

World_Cup_Wally Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2010
    Up, and to the right, Tunick. Up, and to the right.

This post brought to you by Chang.

18. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    I am completely outraged about whatever other people are outraged about!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.