[MSU] Mod Squad Update for 1/4/06

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    MS Update 1/4/2006

The Producers Mod Squad Update
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/JediDajuan/Producers.jpg]

The Cast, When you got it Flaunt it:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/JediDajuan/Flauntit.jpg]
  2. <a style="color: Tomato;font-weight: bold;font-style: normal;background-color: DarkRed;text-decoration: none;border-top: 1px solid Black;border-bottom: 1px solid Black;border-right: 1px solid Black;border-left: 1px solid Black;;" href="/user.asp?usr=942659">ObiWan506</a> received the roll of Manager this week.

3. <a style="color: Black;font-weight: bold;font-style: normal;background-color: Yellow;text-decoration: none;border-top: 1px solid Black;border-bottom: 1px solid Black;border-right: 1px solid Black;border-left: 1px solid Black;;" href="/user.asp?usr=423901">Sapes</a> and <a style="color: Gray;font-weight: bold;font-style: normal;background-color: Black;text-decoration: none;border-top: 1px solid Gray;border-bottom: 1px solid Gray;border-right: 1px solid Gray;border-left: 1px solid Gray;;" href="/user.asp?usr=224608">Raven</a> are still looking for the perfect person to fill the role of JC admin, an announcement is expected soon. The FF admins are still understudying for the roll, so if there are any huge issues and no JC admin on feel free to contact one of us.

4. <a style="color: White;font-weight: bold;font-style: normal;background-color: RoyalBlue;text-decoration: none;border-top: 1px solid Black;border-bottom: 1px solid Black;border-right: 1px solid Black;border-left: 1px solid Black;;" href="/user.asp?usr=725907">DamonD</a> announced he'd need an understudy for the next couple days, as he's got some real life issues pressing.

5. There's nothing like a show on Broadway:
  6. The nine SFF mods opened their new shows yesterday to a smashing success!
    SFF: Books and Comics and SFF: Films and Television. And as if you couldn't tell already
    <a style="color: Gray;font-weight: bold;font-style: normal;background-color: Black;text-decoration: none;border-top: 1px solid Gray;border-bottom: 1px solid Gray;border-right: 1px solid Gray;border-left: 1px solid Gray;;" href="/user.asp?usr=225595">gabe</a> was the mastermind behind both banners, with some suggestions from the rest of us. We <3 them as usual :)

7. FanFic: Before the saga is in dress rehersals for the FanFic awards. In other words the nomination period has officially started for the FanFic Awards.

8. Fan Sites is offering open auditions for their main banner See this thread for more details.

9. The Crew, I Want to be a Producer:
  10. MS asks that you be kind and not post the log-off link. They are annoying and not very nice, especially considering the log-on issues we've all been having lately. Users who repeatedly use and abuse the log out link will be be warned and/or banned.

11. The JCC and Senate are working on resolving their disagreements on where some more serious threads belong the JCC or the Senate.

12. <a style="color: Red;font-weight: bold;font-style: italic;background-color: Navy;text-decoration: none;border-top: 1px solid Red;border-bottom: 1px solid Red;border-right: 1px solid Red;border-left: 1px solid Red;;" href="/user.asp?usr=632580">Errant_Venture</a> brought up the idea of having a comms thread for users to post ideas on how to improve and expand the boards. The possibility of the thread is currently under discussion.

13. What would the Producers be without Springtime for Hitler?:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums
  14. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    w00t, go Mel Brooks!

Oh yeah, good update too :p
  15. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    "Errant_Venture brought up the idea of having a comms thread for users to post ideas on how to improve and expand the boards. The possibility of the thread is currently under discussion."

How would this thread work? Isn't that generally what all of comms is for....making suggestions or comments that would help to improve the boards? Wouldn't a specific thread eliminate the need for most other threads here in comms? BTW, good update Dajuan. :)
  16. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    I would imagine it would be for small suggestions, not huge issues, and would possibly eliminate the need for little threads that run half a page and then die out. Not a bad idea, really.
  17. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    That was the counter arguement brought up about it Typho, still under discussion though.

Thanks for the compliments :) These are such fun for me to do, such a treat :)
  18. jedichef1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Good Job :), great banners gabe!
  19. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    This is actually what the thinking is at this moment, to continue to use the forum more widely and keep using indivual threads on each idea. But it could be good for small suggestions, like Jesina brought up. So it's still under discussion.

I.e. What Daj said. :p

20. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Excellent update Dajuan - thanks for dropping that note about Fan Sites in there as well. :)
  21. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Grand Master

star 5

The JCC and Senate are working on resolving their disagreements on where some more serious threads belong the JCC or the Senate.

Is there perhaps going to be a focus group on this? I have seen way too many times YJCC threads that are political just take a turn for the worse when they get heated. This has happened quite a few times in the past few weeks resulting in the thread having to be locked.
  22. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    This has happened quite a few times in the past few weeks resulting in the thread having to be locked.

Not to my knowledge, it hasn't. I've locked at least one thread temporarily, but I don't recall many such threads being permanently locked.
  23. OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Nice Update. :D

DamonD announced he'd need an understudy for the next couple days, as he's got some real life issues pressing.

An understudy? Should we contact him if we are interested?

EDIT: In retrospect, I don't think anyone wants a regular user ready in case a manager needs to be replaced temporarily. :p Nevermind.

24. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree there should be a focus group to discuss what belongs in YJCC and what belongs in senate. Personally, I think major news stories should appear in YJCC.
  25. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well my thinking was not too many people come into Comms with an idea to improve the boards, most of the time its tech/question/complaining/MSU.

So if there was a thread dedicated to ideas that would at least get people thinking about ways to help improve the JC as a whole.
  26. Kimball_Kinnison Force Ghost

star 6
    Last I heard, the plan was to have a focus group with 6 Senate and 6 JCC regulars to discuss the issue. I know that the Senate has started the process of picking members from a list of volunteers (there's a sticky thread there about it), so that would leave it mostly to the JCC mods to pick their members before it can proceed.

I look forward to it. The JCC has been actively encouraging discussion that has traditionally belonged in the Senate for several months, and it has been doing that without any consultation with the Senate mods. I see that as no different than if the JCC were to start allowing ROTS discussion without even checking with the ROTS mods first. The Senate exists as more than just a dumping ground for threads from the JCC that turn into flame wars (which is an attitude that several JCC mods expressed in the past).

There are threads in the JCC that would have almost instantly been redirected to the Senate a year ago, or even 6 months ago. The JCC mods, on their own, decided to start encouraging Senate-style discussions in the JCC. I have no problem with serious discussions in the JCC, but I do have a problem with one forum essentially stealing traffic from another forum by deciding on their own to start allowing more discussions that traditionally belonged in that other forum.

As an example, in the past 6 months, I cannot recall a single thread that the JCC mods redirected to the Senate, except for threads that had turned into political flame wars. In that time, I and the other Senate mods redirected many threads to the JCC. For quite some time, the policy was that religious threads were only allowed in the Senate. Then, "light-hearted" religious threads were allowed in the JCC, without consulting with the Senate mods at all. Now, there are threads that include many posts of the type that were previously directed to the Senate.

It simply isn't fair for the moderators of one forum to arbitrarily redraw the boundaries between forums and make decisions that have such strong effects on other forums without at the least consulting the moderators from those other forums.

Kimball Kinnison
  27. MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head

star 6
    MS asks that you be kind and not post the log-off link. They are annoying and not very nice, especially considering the log-on issues we've all been having lately. Users who repeatedly use and abuse the log out link will be be warned and/or banned.

That's good to hear, log-off links are not funny at all(Well maybe the first time you felt for it, it is).
  28. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Yep, we're working on getting it up and running within a week. The Senate team's almost picked, but we're giving latecomers a chance to volunteer. YJCC guys are a bit behind us, they're still fleshing their ideas out but given the relative forum traffic their actual selection process shouldn't take that long at all. KW's created the forum and we're working out our topic headers as we speak.

Whilst I wouldn't promise a dedicated Comms thread to detail the findings, or making the FG public, I'd say a summary could find it's way into a MS Update provided we all agree upon it. :)

E_S
  29. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    And the ones that threw popcorn at my head? :p
  30. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    Ok, that sounds like a plan. I guess the main issue here is drawing more defined boundries as to what should be posted where. For instance, should the thread about Tookie Williams (which became a huge hit for discussion in YJCC) have ended up in the Senate instead? On the one hand, it was a news story that was unfolding live at the time and brought in a lot of posts, but on the other hand it sparked a lot of very heated political/religious debate. Personally, and I already stated this, I think it's important to allow current events to be posted in YJCC. In a way, YJCC is like CNN and Senate is like Cspan. You're going to hear it first and get immediate responses as events are unfolding in the YJCC better (due to volume of posters and traffic) than if news stories were diverted to senate. Senate was created for in depth discussion about critical issues and it is still used for that. One thing I do not agree with is shutting down a thread in YJCC just because it becomes political (Like the Tookie thread) and moving discussion on it to Senate. Many of the posters who have been involved with the thread in YJCC won't move with the thread t
  31. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Hence, the Focus Group. :D

E_S
  32. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Oh, they're our new Admin candidates. :p

E_S
  33. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    the problem with redirecting 'serious' type threads in the jcc to the senate is that the people, as has already been mentioned, won't follow. of if they do, it won't be many. i have been involved in atheism threads in both the senate and the jcc and each thread has -- most importantly -- different participants and also a different level of discussion. and what is wrong with that? by disallowing serious type threads in the jcc you are actively contributing to the dumbing down (the oft-used criticism of the forum) of the forum by specifically stating that people there cannot talk about non-dumb things... and frankly, that is ridiculous. and i also do not agree that by having an atheism thread in the jcc takes away from the discussion in the senate. it's comparable to allowing movie discussions in both the jcc and amptheatre. additionally, the senate provides users with a realm of different religiousy type threads... how many serious religious threads are in the jcc at the moment?

i also agree with Typho that latest, current event, political, newsworthy threads should remain in the JCC. this is entirely the correct forum for them. if you want to discuss an event in a more detailed or intelligent or specific manner, use the Senate. the users, many many of who (whom?) do not ever visit the Senate, deserve the chance to discuss these things. it is the jc COMMUNITY. they should not be punished because they choose not to post in the Senate. and i don't particularly think this idea of 'stealing' traffic from one forum to the other should be considered such a problem, either... not only because i believe the populace of each forum is distinct to a large degree, but moreso that individual forums shouldn't be considered rivals, they should, and do, work in unison with eachother.

as for jcc mods not advising senate mods about changes in their moderating guidelines and/or proceedures... isn't this what the MS is for?

also: this is going back to the AC days, but why have a focus group when you can just invite whoever you want involved into, say, this thread? or another set up in Comms? why must it be private? why can't you just let everyone -- including those who you particularly are interested in hearing from -- join in? this exclusivity and secrecy makes no sense to me.
  34. Kimball_Kinnison Force Ghost

star 6
    The Senate mods do not have a problem with "serious" discussion happening in the JCC, as long as it does not happen to the detriment of the Senate. One of the complaints that the JCC mods have repeatedly expressed is that their forum should not be treated as a dumping ground. However, look at the edits that I linked to in my last post. Both Amos and droideka demonstrate the same sort of "dumping ground" attitude towards the Senate, that threads should only be directed there if they turn into flame wars. That sort of behavior contributes to the stereotype of the Senate ("A higher form of flaming") that the Senate mods have been working to tear down for quite some time.

For quite some time, the limits between the JCC and the Senate seemed to be well-defined, understood, and respected by both moderator teams. Since then, the JCC mods started redefining those limits on their own, and that is simply not acceptable.

News stories have always gone in the JCC, and none of the Senate mods have asked to change that. That was part of the well-defined limits I mentioned.

And yes, it may be the "Community Forum", but the Senate is also supposed to be part of the Community, as is the Amphitheatre. One of the things that Ender_Sai and I were working on befoer I stepped down (and I know that he hasn't stopped working on it) is finding ways to encourage more cross posting between the Senate, Amp, and JCC regulars. The Senate has the reputation that it is the place to go for a flame war, but for the most part that isn't true. You don't need to be able to write a dissertation to post in the Senate, but that excuse is used by both users and mods alike to avoid involving the Senate in discussions.

What incentive to people have to even look in the Senate if they can get the exact same (or virtually the same) discussion in the JCC? Especially with the introduction of the SFF forums, each of the Community forums should be doing what it can to help the other forums maintain a good stream of traffic and new users. The Senate (and to a lesser extent the Amp) have been redirecting traffic to the JCC, but it has mostly been a one-way street. It has to be a give and take relationship between the forums, not simpll
  35. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    lol, I never realised my head was so important :p
  36. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Whether or not the mods set up an individual private forum to discuss forum-specific things in one place is not appropriate for Comms. I ask regular users, current mods, and ex-mods to respect that. It's something we will address, but not here. Kimball, I know your stance on it and I see +/- of both sides. :)

Regarding the Senate and the JCC, at this point in time I certainly see the validity of maintaining a separate Senate forum. Initially years ago, I didn't. This is not a decision I'm making with this post, merely what I feel now based on private and public comments on the subject. I think the JCC can benefit from the injection of some more serious threads now and then. And I think once in awhile, the Senate could benefit from the injection of more light-hearted and goofy threads.

Having said that, the creation of such threads should be done more sparingly as it really is going a bit beyond the scope of those forums. A user who creates a serious JCC topic may very well find it going off-topic much sooner in there and they will get frustrated at the type of responses. But it's not the other user's fault. They're posting within the boundaries of what's been defined as the JCC. The thread author should expect a response that will probably not be the serious discussion desired. The problem is unrealistic expectations. The reverse is true if the lighter thread were to be created in the Senate and it was met with responses that took a post meant as a joke to a deep, philosophical discussion. Again, unrealistic expectations.

The Senate does not, and has never had, the level of posts per day as the JCC. I'd never expect it to. That's not a measure of forum success. I feel the Senate has a community that is dedicated, loves their corner of the forums, and their lower number of posts per day compared to that of the JCC is consistent. That tells me there isn't necessarily an interest or posting issue. It's merely a consistent lower level of activity. In my opinion, a red flag arises when the posting level over time continues to decrease and is not consistent. That's not the case with the Senate.
  37. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree here and the same can be said of Amp. What incentive do I have to go to the amp and post about media and artistic works when the same kind of discussion is allowed in YJCC? It's why I think a lot of the Amp traffic (especially with the new SF forums) will decrease in the long run.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.