[MSU] Mod Squad Update for 1/4/06

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    dp4m, I was with you until the horses.
  2. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    i don't think anyone is really advocating the closing down of the Senate, it's just that some people seem to want the Senate to be more than what it is. and by doing this they want to take from the JCC to benefit the Senate which is what i think is a terrible idea.

dp4m, as for your point about the ability to post lighthearted banter within a serious thread within the JCC, exactly, it's fine, you're free to do it, in the Senate you are not. as Jesina has said, the people who post in the JCC, including those who post in seriousy threads like tookie or atheism, don't mind it. if they DID, then they're posting in the wrong forum. they choose not to post in the Senate because they expect the odd silly post but it doesn't mean there can't be serious conversation either. it's more to do with the delivery. i also agree with you that i don't see why the staus quo needs to change at all, either -- which is why i see no real need for this focus group.

i would be interested to hear what else has been covered in private that hasn't already been discussed in this thread because i'm not sure what else could be discussed, really.
  3. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    For those confused about the status quo:

Senate: The Senate Floor is designed to allow mature discussion of more mature topics. These topics can include, but are not limited to, politics, religion, and other social issues. If you have any doubts about whether a thread is appropriate, PM a moderator and they will help you. Inappropriate threads may be locked and/or deleted by a moderator.

JCC: A. Religious threads: While religious debate (exampe: Does God exist? Creation vs Evolution, etc.) is not allowed in the JCC, we will allow religious themed threads and, on occasion, light discussion on a religious topic. These types of threads will be examined on a case-by-case basis. / C. Give some leeway in the Senate-like threads allowed. The Senate is explicitly for the serious discussion of serious topics. It's nice to be able to discuss serious topics in a light-hearted manner in the JCC.

EDIT:
    It' a song akin to Cat In the Cradle called The Circle Game by Joni Mitchell about growing up. I went to a fairly hippy summer camp... :p
  4. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    epic, I like how you summed all of that up. Things have been working, are currently working, and the issue is now people want more/less for the two forums than has basically always been the case and well-understood.
  5. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I was wondering where that came from :p

Well written explanation of both forums.
  6. Kimball_Kinnison Chosen One

star 6
    But, that's isn't the case. The Senate does allow those "silly" posts, as long as they do not become the focus of a thread or sidetrack the whole thing. Sometimes, those posts are necessary to break the tension in a thread.

In fact, it's been that way for quite some time in the Senate.

For example, consider these two successive posts from this thread.
    Or, look in the Polygamy thread:
    Or, from this thread:
    These sorts of posts have been allowed in the Senate for quite some time, and moderators usually only step in when it becomes clear that the banter is diverting the thread completely from the actual discussion. I can't recall anyone who was ever banned in the Senate for starting a little banter in a thread, or even edited. The most I can recall is a gentle reminder for people to get back on topic. (Admittedly, some people have been edited for continuing such banter after a warning like that, but that is few and far between.)

That's just one more of those false stereotypes that seem to be going around about the Senate.

Kimball Kinnison
  7. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    Let me just say that I can see where both sides of the arguement are coming from. I've already stated that I think the YJCC is posing a threat to both Senate and Amp and I'm going to stand by that. Again, it will be up to the focus group to decide on where new boundries (if any) should be drawn. That said, there are some things KW has brought up that I agree with as well like

I'm not a fan of long posts. I like posting in the YJCC specifically because my responses can be short and sweet. I don't have the time to read a novel in the senate to understand what people are saying and then post about it. It really hurts my brain sometimes. That said, I think that the focus group can come up with a solution. One idea would be when a thread is started in YJCC (say about atheism) a mod can provide a link to a related thread with in depth discussion over in Senate. Same for Amp. The 24 season 5 thread in YJCC could have in the first post a link to the 24 thread in Amp, which may have a different kind of discussion going on over there. And this can work both ways. The atheism thread in the Senate could say "For a less in depth discussion on this topic, please see this thread in the YJCC." and it links to the atheism thread there. I'm not saying this is the solution to the problem but we could certainly try it and see what happens.
  8. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Kimball please don't dispell the 3 year old notion that the Senate is all essay-length posts. :p

E_S
  9. Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus

star 6
  10. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Do they get graded? :p
  11. Kimball_Kinnison Chosen One

star 6
    ts, dr. :p

Kimball Kinnison
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status: