main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mtv Movie Awards 2016

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Adella7, Mar 8, 2016.

1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

I'd be the last person to try claiming that TFA is a supremely clever film; it isn't. (though I'd argue strongly that it's use of Luke Skywalker is a very, very clever bit of writing, which, contrary to many moans, is in retrospect the best thing to have done with him, as it set up a situation where Mark Hamill is once again viable as a co-lead in the next film, which is something I don't think would have been as well received as the hardcore fanbase think, if it had happened in this one)
    But what it is is a film that does have some depth if you want to look for it. It can be enjoyed as a bit of fluff, or it can be analysed deeply and be rewarding as a result. It does reward those who want to pay a bit more attention. But equally, if you want to watch it with a cynical eye, then there's obviously a lot of things that can be picked up on.
    Personally, I feel that the "case" some people build up takes quite a bit of contriving, and some of it really sticks in the craw (eg- I remember starting a thread well over a year ago in which I kind of thought aloud that some of the characters we've speculated about for hundreds of pages are bound to have far smaller roles than we expect, and that it'd be a shame if our expectations meant that we criticised the film for "wasting" what was never meant to be a significant character - fast forward to now, and that pretty much sums up the reaction to Phasma - but it's one of many arguments that can be simply reversed if you so wish; Star Wars has so many creative people working on it that even throwaway, relatively minor characters capture the imagination enough that fans want them to have much bigger roles)

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    As I said, this isn't specific to TFA, but you seemed to be trying to make a case that levelling the critisim that the film doesn't explain things enough and, at the same time, thinking it daft/not too clever was contrary. I'm simply making the point that it isn't a contradiction... especially if one thinks the symptom (unclear/unconvincing motivation etc.) is a result of poor writing (the cause). Which of course doesn't mean you need to agree, just pointing out that it's not an either or thing. And yes, I'd agree that some characters (such as Phasma) are bound to be fairly insignificant when thrown into the mix.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Kasdan was pretty open about the approach - that the piece be a blast that moved like a son-of-a-bitch so you don't ask too many questions - which was the approach on the OT as well. I don't take this as a problem, just as LK doesn't intend to belittle the films.

Some of the criticisms and nitpicks lobbed at TFA are the kind many also laugh about in the previous six films, with varying degrees of affection. That doesn't mean none aren't applicable or valid, but perhaps not all are the crimes against cinema they are sometimes portrayed as.

4. Adella7

Adella7 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 8, 2016
    I hope BB8 makes a cameo appearance at the show ,if he's too not busy on the set while filming the sequel.I hope the movie sweeps because of its popularity. Other movies may win some other awards in the same categories as Star Wars.

BB-8 My Homework likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    the MTV movie award voting demographic is predominantly tween girls, though, so I would expect a lot of stuff for Hunger Games to win instead so don't get hopes up for TFA winning awards that much. Even though Deadpool is nominated (but probably get votes because Ryan Reynolds is so dreamy).

I am hoping for some solid Star Wars parodies, though. the MTV awards have done that for awhile

6. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    You're absolutely, right I shouldn't keep my hopes up about Star Wars winning every award. Other movies will win in the same categories. . Old people, like me must avoid MTV at all. Mtv hardly ever shows any music videos. I better keep on topic. What are the odds for Star Wars to win some of the awards? I want to thank Big Al for sharing some videos parodies on Star Wars.

7. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    Star Wars : TFA wins for 3 out of 11.

Movie of the Year
    Best Breakthrough Performance
    Best Villain

I'm sorry for the spoilers.[face_blush]

8. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    Super stoked for Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver!

DarthEndus likes this.
  9. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Very Cool!

10. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    Even though the MTV Awards is a ridiculous show, its still cool to see TFA win Best Picture for one reason: the younger generation.

I honestly thought the only people that would like TFA would be OT fans like myself, but to my surprise my nephews and my friends kids loved it too. To see it win the MTV sort of gives a pulse of the younger generation and it says that SW is still cool 39 years later!