main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Much like your father's..."

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Obi-Ewan, Aug 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    In Return of the Jedi, Palpatine takes a gander at Luke's lightsaber, and says it is much like his father's. This doesn't quite make sense to me. We've seen Anakin's three lightsabers, and none of them resemble Luke's. Luke's more closely resembles Obi-Wan's.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It means in terms that it's just a lightsaber. His quote had nothing to do with the saber's design.

3. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Plus we don't know E3 design Anakin will have.

4. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Well I think he'd be referring to the one Vader owned at the time

5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Two possibilities:

1) Palpatine doesn't know anything about lightsabers. For all we know, he's never even had one. He seems to prefer relying on others to do his dirty work.

2) Palpy knows and doesn't care. He might be taking the opportunity to remind Luke yet again who his father is and how likely it is Luke will follow the same path Anakin did.

6. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    ummmm....actually, we do indeed know Anakin's design for EPIII. It'll be the same lightsaber that Luke weilds in ESB and ANH.

7. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Maybe not. That lightsaber seems to be a more primitive design than the one Anakin has in AotC, so maybe it was a training lightsaber Anakin used as a young padawan or something.

Plus, it makes more sense that Obi-Wan would have a very old lightsaber of Anakin's than it does that he would pick up Anakin's lightsaber after their E3 duel.

8. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    *Possible Episode 3 spoilers*

Actually Mara, in Episode III, Anakin WILL use the same lightsaber Obi-Wan gave Luke in ANH. It's been spotted on the Hyperspace webcam, and there have been reports claiming Hayden Christensen has been seen with this saber clipped to his belt. There have been no sightings/reports of Anakin's AOTC lightsaber for Episode III.

DLM Edit: Argggghhh please don't post rumors AKA spoilers without giving a warning first. Thanks. :)

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    His AOTC saber is quite similar to the one Luke uses in ANH and ESB, so there's a good chance his next one would be similar. After all, when Obi-Wan got a new saber in AOTC, it was just like his TPM one.

10. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Oops! Sorry about that. I didn't think that this would have been considered a true spoiler. Thanks! :D

11. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    No problem. I just want to stay on the safe side in case it is one. :)

Anyway, if that's true, it's interesting, but Lucas will have to pull off a more convoluted story.

12. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Nice continuity work :D

13. trinto_duaba

trinto_duaba Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 27, 2001
    As much as the Emperor reviles the Jedi and its arts, do you think he would say something to complement Luke's lightsaber design? Only a fanboy would.

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    He was just saying it to taunt Luke.

15. Sithwitch_13

Sithwitch_13 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2002
    Maybe it's just the corrupted band people here, but is anyone else somewhat disturbed by Palps comparing Luke and Vader's "lightsabers"? :p

Sorry, some buddies of mine and I were just pointing that out yesterday, I couldn't resist.

16. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Yeah, and it's especially creepy coming just a few short scenes after the infamous "I have felt him" scene. [face_shocked]

17. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    He was just saying it to taunt Luke.

Now strike your father down and take his place at my side or I shall taunt you a second time!

18. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Yes! Duel a lot at this time, or I fire Force lightning into the tops of your heads and made castanets out of your testicles already!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.