main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Muggle Chat (Potter Thread Version 2)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediBith, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    Was it new Doctor Who? How did I miss it?

Stupid OPPM rule.

2. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Yeah, SR, I haven't seen anything regarding the new season of Dr. Who & I get the SciFi online newsletter at least every week (although it seems like they email one out 2 -3 times a week or more).

3. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    From empireonline

"Harry 5-3D
    It's still a little over three months until the fifth instalment of the Harry Potter series sweeps onto our screens, but with the not-so-young wizard himself parading his bag of tricks around on a West End stage and new production stills flying in by the satchel load, the lead up to Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix has well and truly begun. Now Warner Bros have announced, that the last twenty minutes of the movie are being digitally converted for the IMAX 3D experience. Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire smashed IMAX 2D records on its release two years ago, but things look likely to get even better with Order Of The Phoenix (well, one better). Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment had this to say: "We know that through the magic of IMAX, fans will already feel as is if they are right next to Harry, Ron and Hermione in IMAX's larger-than-life 2D format, and we are thrilled to treat them to an even more immersive experience with the finale of the film brought to you in IMAX 3D." That means you?ll be able to enjoy your fifth Hogwarts experience wearing groovy glasses and marvelling at just how much they?ve all grown."

4. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    My local bookstore is giving away free book marks if you ask for them. I guess there's also supposed to be a quiz. I'll post the link if I can find it.

5. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Don't want to haskett the thread so just to quickly answer your questions DH and VK2. I know a few British people who do sceenings every other week of the new 3rd season of Doctor Who which hasn't aired here in the US yet. So far they have been great. I like the new girl Martha.

6. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    SR, you are too cool for words.

I'm thinking of making another HP costume in time for the movie since robes are so darned hot, especially in the summer. I can't think of what though.

7. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    So have you people seen the new trailer yet? If not they are playing it on Yahoo Movies, it's the HD trailer. Apple only has the older one up. I've watched it over and over this morning.

8. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I haven't seen it yet. There was a great article in this past Sunday's Times about OotP and other summer movies.

9. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Well see it now! Go to Yahoo Movies and download it. It's great.

10. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    It is simply AWESOME! I hope I can see it on the big screen because I couldn't get a good clear picture when I enlarged it.

There's a possibility that the US Premiere will be in LA! I want to go out and see the stars. The rumor is it'll be July 8th.

11. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    could anybody with the first book tell me what it says about dragons in Gringotts?

12. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Chapter Five - Diagon Alley

"Why would you be mad to try and rob Gringotts?" Harry asked.

"Spells - enchantments," said Hagrid, unfolding his newspaper as he spoke. "They say there's dragons guardin' the high security vaults. And then yeh gotta find yer way - Gringotts is hundreds of miles under Loind, see. Deep under the Underground. Yeh'd die of hunger tryin' ter get out, even if yeh did manage ter get yer hands on summat."

Later...

"Hagrid," said Harry, panting a bit as he ran to keep up, "did you say there are dragons at Gringotts?"

"Well, so they say," said Hagrid. "Crikey, I'd like a dragon."

Later still and not having to do with dragons but may have to do with something later...

Enter, stranter, but take heed
    Of what awaits the sin of greed,
    For those who take, but do not earn,
    Must pay most dearly in their turn.
    So if you seek beneath our floors
    A treasure that was never yours
    Thief, you have been warned, beware
    Of finding more than treasure there.

And still later in the depths of Gringotts...

Harry's eyes stung as the cold air rushed past them, but he kept them wide open. once, he thought he saw a burst of fire at the end of a passage and twisted around to see if it was a dragon, but too late - they plunged even deeper, passing an underground lake where huge stalactites and stalagmites grew from the ceiling and floor.

I couldn't find any other references to both dragons and Gringotts. I hope it helped.

13. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Double post.

I just read my previous post and apologize profusely for the spelling errors. I was balancing the paperback version on my lap while typing and did not check it. Sorry.

14. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    that was perfect

15. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Do you have some inside information regarding dragons in Gringotts in HP7:the DH?

16. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    And, if you do, please highlight in black so we can't immediately see it, thanks. ;)

I'm rereading the books and am 2/3 through GoF now (but had to skip CoS 'cause it's missing...). It's pretty fun, since I haven't read the books in so long. When I finally finish HBP I have to e-mail someone back from like 2 months ago--she asked me all these questions about it and I'm too senile to remember the answers! I also finally looked into livejournal's HP read-along community since I'm about at the same place (finally!) as they are and some of the comments on the chapter I looked at were pretty hilarious. Like, did y'all realize that the Hogwarts toilets flush directly into the lake?!? Ewww. (Ch. 22, I think, of GoF)

17. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    I don't have any insider dragon info. But I would be very surprised is there were no mention of the bank, or dragons in the next book. The author doesn't often mention things for no reason does she?

18. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I had forgotten about the toilets but that's how Myrtle goes to see the merpeople, right?

I had heard a theory that the series mirrors itself. For example, things in Book 1 in Book 7, Book 2 in Book 6 (Riddle's journal is a horcrux and we learn about them in HBP), Book 3 in Book 5 (I forgot what the correlation was), and Book 4 I guess is a stand alone.

19. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Yep, Myrtle told Harry she ended up in the lake when someone flushed her toilet when she wasn't paying attention. Then she shows up next to Harry when he's swimming in the lake in the second task. (ewww, swimming in THAT...)

Hmm, interesting theory! I can't look for it myself yet since I'm not on book 5 yet, to compare it to PoA...(and I can't compare 2 & 6 since the fam's CoS is missing...).

I have question. What's a Kneazle? I seem to remember people speculating about Crookshanks maybe being a Kneazle, but...what does that *mean*?

20. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    According to the HP Lexicon (I'm away from my books right now):

Kneazle (NEE-zul)

This very intelligent cat-like creatrue can detect unsavory or suspicious persons very well and will react badly to them. However, if a kneazle takes a liking to a witch or wizard, it makes an excellent pet. The kneazle has spotted fur, large ears, and a lion-like tail.

21. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    Crookshanks is half-kneazle. At least some of Miss Figgs cats are part kneazle too.

22. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    If not for the fact that a kneazle is a cat-like creature, one would be good to have around. Mr. DH doesn't like cats.

23. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I guess I'm going to have to reread. I don't think I've ever heard of this term before.

24. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I'm going to start re-reading after CIV. Right now I don't have any extra time for reading. I'm so far behind on all of that! Sad :_|

25. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    OMG! The US premiere of OotP is going to be here in LA! July 8th at 5 pm at Grauman's! OMG! I'm going to be a stupid fan girl and show up to see the stars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.