main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Muggle Chat (Potter Thread Version 2)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediBith, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCrowbar

TheCrowbar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2005
    I can't wait! I don't think i will be sleeping that entire month with the Harry potter Book, my best friend's wedding and the movie all in a few days of each other

2. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I'm jealous. You'd better take pics, DH!

3. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    OK, so who do we have to kill for tickets to the actual screening part, DH???

4. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    You have to be a teenager attending Devi's old school, Crossroads, where everyone has connections. Grr! (Devi got into the RotK premier + after-party, and this chick I "know" is going to the HP one)

5. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I wish there was a way to get tickets.

6. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004

Severus Snape

Cute little video with puppets. For all you Potter fans.

Sorry I kept trying to fix the link thingie.

7. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Harry Potter Park announced here

8. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    so when you take your memories out for the pensieve, are they copies of what's in your head? I f you lose that jar, is the memory gone forever?

9. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    I always wondered about that, too, CBM.

Sorry if I'm 'teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs' to any of you who already know all about it, but I just read in the L A Times that Order of the Phoenix is opening 7/11 Wednesday, instead of 7/13 Friday(which date wise might have been more appropriate, but, whatever.)

10. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    The date did indeed move to the 11th. Why? Heck if I know. I want to take up a collection to get ES back for the movie. Oh, and there's supposed to be a hand/footprint ceremony for the trio at Grauman's on the 9th. I'm going to try to swing by for that.

11. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    sdkjfbvuaskjhlciu, DH...!

DH/etc........I can clean your house! Or do errands? Or...mend clothes of yours?

12. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Seriously, if we get enough people to throw in $20-$30 each we can get ES a ticket. It would be a worthwhile cause. Who's with me?! I can't think of anyone else (except me) who wouldn't be totally excited over this.

13. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    It's all good. :) :) :) I've long-ago resigned myself to my "fate." There will still be crazy fans here, like at the last midnight showing I went to here (AotC)!

Today I'm kind of exhausted because I stupidly started reading OotP again when I went to bed (a bit before 3am) and ended up reading until 8. I wish I were still sleeping!
    Kneazles have been mentioned *twice* in there(!), as examples of what Prof. Grubbly-Plank would teach the O.W.L.-years, and Hagrid saying you "couldn't swing a kneazle in there" (eww, I never liked that phrase--the cat version, y'know?).

14. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Regarding CBM's question about the Pensieve, I believe you retain the memory and what you draw out is a "copy" of the memory. You can modify the copy (through some sort of wizard photoshop) to make it reflect what you want. If you think about, gosh, now I can't think of his name, the guy who became head of Slytherin again, he had released the altered memory of his conversation with Tom Riddle to Dumbledore but was able to give the unaltered one to Harry later. I think they use the pensieve to sort things out and see things without having to wade through the rest of life's problems but the actual memory remains. Of course then you have to wonder about Snape and his use of the pensieve to hide his memory of being taunted by the Marauders. Quite a conundrum. Has anyone checked JK's FAQ page about it?

ES, I want you to come here though. It won't be the same without you. One of my padawan's classmates is a big HP fan and listens to PotterCast. We had a conversation about the books, podcasts, the movies, etc last week while my padawan and classmate were working on a project. Okay, during the off times from the project work. Any way, the classmate wants to go to Prophecy in Toronto but can't because, well, the minimum age limit is 14 and unfortunately said classmate will not be 14 yet. I think it would be fun but I just don't have the vacation time or the money. Any way, I may take said classmate with me to see it locally if no one wants to go to the midnight show at a cooler venue. I plan to wear my wizard robes!

15. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    I don't quite understand the penseive thing either, but it SEEMS like when you put a memory in there, it's no longer in your head at all...like the Snape thing you mentioned, DH. Hmmmmm.

I still don't have robes, but luckily it'll be July, hot, and the rest of the costume will suffice. I *do* have something new I didn't for GoF--a wand from Allivan's! OH, and I'm still disappointed that the Harry Potter store was inexplicably closed when Devi and I tried to go (3:30pm, Tuesday...SHOULD be open, right? grr.). Oh, DH, at least you'll get to go to a great theater! Meh, I guess I have to decide whether it's AMC or Mall of America, arg. Maybe Willow Creek, if they're getting it, that's an okay theater.

16. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    That's what one would think but then how was what's his name able to modify it and then still have an unaltered one later? Quite a question when you think about it.

I think I remember reading that their hours were weird. I just went to their site and Steve Vander Ark from the HP Lexicon is going to be there on Sunday to discuss Snape - good or evil. According to the site, they are closed Monday and Tuesday and open 11-5 on the other days so you just caught them on one of their closed days. Maybe I'll get a wand too. I want a light up one though it seems kind of childish.

The theatre this kid wants to go to is the local one and it's okay at best, stadium seating and okay sound but the screens are small. I wouldn't want to take the kid too far just in case the mother gets worried about me keeping her kid out at all hours.

17. JediNoc

Aug 9, 2005
    DH, I'm in for the midnight showing!

I'm also in for the $20-$30 to bring ES here for the midnight showing.

I don't have a costume but I have my quidditch jersey.

18. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Yeah! Okay, we have two contributors!

Okay JN, wanna go to the Paseo or somewhere cool?

19. JediNoc

Aug 9, 2005
    No matter to me, DH. The Paseo is nice in that it's close to home and we won't have far to drive at 3:30 AM or whenever the movie finishes.

Get this: My department turned down a partnership with WB to use this movie as a preview kid's club event because "we're too busy with The War (upcoming series by Ken Burns) event." *Thud*

20. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    does anyone own the Marauder's map?

21. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Doesn't Harry still have it?

22. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    [face_laugh] I mean in real life. They sell a replica of one.

23. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    :oops: Gee, I guess WB has it in real life then or maybe JKR. Who's selling the replica? I'm not sure I'd buy one because it's not really what I expected it to look like.

24. vampireanneke

vampireanneke Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2002
    Saturday is Unofficial Harry Potter Day at Disneyland. You can find more info by doing a quick web search and checking out the myspace for it. Yep, I'll be missing Star Wars day at Disney but making it for HP day!

As for Pensive, the thoughts ARE removed from the head. Snape does that so Harry can't get to/see the thoughts in his head when they are doing lessons together.

-Anneke

25. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Lol, copycats. So I need to warn you guys that there are spoilers floating about in the universe of Potter about book 7. Be careful. I will tell you that a popular site, ytmnd.com has a funny little portion about such spoiler and you should not go there because it's even in the title of the site and the address to the site. Beware, they are not editing it at all! But if you want to know...go there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.