main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Muggle Chat (Potter Thread Version 2)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediBith, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    Thanks APL. I'm trying to stay somewhat spoiler free but on MuggleCast they were talking about the dragon on the cover of the deluxe edition and what it could signify. I think I'm going to start re-reading them this weekend.

2. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I want to stay away from spoilers too! I'm still so relieved I wasn't spoiled about Dumbledore last time, since people were going around on non-related websites posting about it just to be a-holes. For DH (er, Deathly Hallows, not the Hasketty type) I've heard a spoiler of sorts, but luckily it's a number and not name(s). Ugh. I still don't like even knowing the number, but whatever, nothing I can do about it. It's not as bad as being spoiled about Chewbacca in RotS!

3. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I like that we've all heard something but are trying to not spoil the rest. It would be funny if we all knew the same thing or even funnier, the whole book but separately and can recreate it. I'm still trying to figure out the location of my midnight viewing.

4. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    From the Board of Public Works Agenda for Monday, June 25!

Entertainment Lighting Services, requesting Board approval and permission to install carpet and crowd control equipment in front of the Chinese Theater located
    at 6925 Hollywood Blvd from 6:00 a.m. on Sunday, July 8, 2007; close Hollywood Blvd from La Brea to Highland from 6:00 a.m. on July 8 to 2:00 a.m. on July 9;
    close vehicular traffic on south curb lane of Hollywood Blvd from Orange Ave east to mid-block crosswalk from 1:00 a.m. on July 8 to 1:00 a.m. on July 9; close
    pedestrian traffic on north sidewalk of Hollywood Blvd from the theater west to northeast corner of Orange Ave and Hollywood Blvd from 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.; close mid-block crosswalk from 2:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m., for the premiere of ?Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? to be held at 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, July 8, 2007

OMG! I'm so there!

5. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Aaaaaa! It's getting so close.
    Full report, DH. I need a really detailed report, with words and pictures!

6. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I'll be there! I will empty out my memory cards before so I can take lots of pictures. I don't know what time I should get there though...

I'm hoping to see the hand/footprint ceremony the next day also.

I saw an ad for OotP! Yeah!

7. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    DH, I would be interested in joining you for this. Let's make some plans.

Speaking of plans. So how are we going to see this movie?

8. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    I'm in too for the stalking and the ceremony crashing and the midnight viewing! Er, ah, I mean the polite observing and the distant attending and the early morning movie watching. Must buy new brain filter.

9. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    Just saw the OOTP trailer before, of all things, Evan Almighty. It looks really good! Dare I say awesome even!!! Can't wait!!!

10. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Yeah! Okay, well, I don't know what time to go down for the premiere, I assume we should be there a few hours early but not every having gone to such an event I don't know.

I say we go to Grauman's if everyone's in on that. I'm taking the 11th off so I'm good.

11. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I'm not local and totally new to all this, so please tell me what it all means. Is where we go and act like geeky fans and try to see the stars? Sounds like fun to me!!!

12. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I would really love to go to the handprint ceremony, but I have to work so that's not going to happen.

However, red carpet watching on Sunday? I'm seriously considering going to that!

13. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    So I finished HBP a while (40 min?) ago and I'm still shakey. Literally. I'm all trembly. Hold me? (haha) It came out two years ago, right? I read it twice that summer, but not since then. I'll probably want to go read our discussion on the matter again, but I still think Dumbledore's dead (how could you *not*? Unless you think he's a phoenix, but then, why would the tomb have appeared after the flames erupted?), Snape's good (though there was ONE line of Dumbledore's when he was talking to Malfoy that's suspect, but not necessarily meaning anything), and that Harry could be a Horcrux, which I remember wasn't a popular idea but which I like. Seems like that'd be very fitting, mythically, for Harry to have to die in the act of killing Voldemort/in *order* to kill him. Another note that I may have made back then about Snape is that it fits him being good to be that enraged at Harry calling him a coward after how brave he had to be to do what he'd done. This isn't to say I *like* Snape, but I do think he's good.

And Ch. 22, when Harry takes the Felix Felices & gets Slughorn's memory is still my favorite, really the only part of the book that was just a pure pleasure to read.

So yep, nothing new really, but now it's fresh again and I could actually mount a reasonable argument about Snape to my mom since I know/remember things like *evidence* now. She won't even listen to the other POV 'cause she's 100% positive hers is the truth.

Movie-wise, get this, while my sister "doesn't care about midnight showings," (her words) my aunt and uncle, who're in their late 50s, WANT to see a midnight showing! But then my aunt said she couldn't since it's a weeknight, so, I'm probably back to going on my own.

14. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Oh man, guys, there are some good laughs to be had in the old HP thread! Ahhh, good times.

I haven't looked for them at ALL, but the only horcrux I "spot" in a previous book is that locket, and that's only a good guess, of course. Well, unless you count the diary as well--I meant horcruxes that're less obvious/central to that book.

I don't really think Nagini's a horcrux for some reason. It's just a feeling, and I'll only be right if Dumbledore's hunch is wrong, so I'm not expecting much! Actually, my reason may have to do with me wishing for horcrux!Harry to be true, 'cause I don't think there'd be two in living things and there aren't enough out there for that to be the case anyway, unless Voldemort couldn't find anything of Ravenclaw's either (see? HARRY = the Gryffindor thing....of sorts...ha!).

Oh, and rereading that old thread, we mentioned a couple times thinking that Dumbledore's portrait appearing in his office meant he was dead, but now I think that the previous Headmasters probably didn't all end their careers by DYING, some surely retired, y'know? So the portrait shouldn't really be more significant than meaning Dumbledore had ceased being Headmaster, for good...JUST sayin'.

15. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Wow, CBM said something really interesting back when...:
    What do you guys think of the theory that Kreacher helped Regulus steal Merope's locket from the cave. It makes sense, you would need two people, but two people can't go on the boat. But Why would Kreacher do that? It wasn't a Black family heirloom or anything.

I like this idea!! Regulus could've even made Kreacher drink the potion for him, leaving him a lot more capable to get the heck outta there. Even though it's not a family heirloom, I'm sure Kreacher would've liked such a fantastic Slytherin artifact for his mistress, and thus been willing to help.

16. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I'm feeling very Potterish right now. I finally picked up the first two Harry and the Potters CDs and have to find the third one.

As for the theories, JKR has stated very emphatically that Dumbledore is indeed dead. I do like CBM's theory about Kreacher helping steal the locket. It makes perfect sense since Kreacher would do anything for the other Blacks (just not Sirius) but what about Mrs. Black. She was alive when Regulus died, right? I can't imagine Kreacher leaving her alone.

I picked up a book Harry Potter knitting projects that looks cool. I think I'm going to try to make a Weasley sweater.

I started re-reading HP on Saturday and am about a quarter of the way through PoA right now. I'm hoping to get through GoF this weekend.

17. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Hmm, I'm sure you're right about Kreacher not wanting to leave Mrs. Black, but maybe it was a normal thing for him to do? Like maybe she sometimes sent him on errands or something...or maybe she was out of town...yeah, I don't know.

I wish I could make someone else go into the spiderwebby corner of the basement where, in some tub or other, my books reside. The family copies are missing Chamber of Secrets and no one knows where it is. OH, and DH, though you are a little overboard with your protectiveness of your books, I have great admiration for you because of it and wish such behavior was tolerated in my house. I've learned I can't keep any reading material that's *mine* anywhere but in my room, or it'll end up in the bathroom at some point. :(

18. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    ES, I feel your pain. I love my books and really do not let anyone touch them under penalty of death, though my padawan was reading my copy of GoF and some of my copy of PoA too. I am sure I'll finish GoF this weekend. I came across something in CoS yesterday but don't remember it now.

I just opened my email and boy am I mad at myself. I need to check it more often. I missed a lot of important news.

I wish I were a school aged kid because JKR is holding readings/book signings in three cities, LA, NY and New orleans. She's also doing a sweepstakes contest for another signing but it's in NY and I'm not sure I can swing it. Sigh...

Oh, and I have six of the seven bookmarks Scholastic put out. They are very cool. Each has a question to ponder, such as "Will Hogwarts reopen?" or "Is Snape good or evil?" or the lamest one, "Who will end up with whom?"

19. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    :eek: From Monday's Board Agenda!

Entertainment Lighting Services, requesting Board approval and permission to install carpet and crowd control equipment in front of the Chinese Theater located at 6925 Hollywood Blvd from 6:00 a.m. on July 8, 2007; close Hollywood Blvd from La Brea to Highland from 6:00 a.m. on July 8 to 2:00 a.m. on July 9; close vehicular traffic on south curb lane of Hollywood Blvd from Orange Ave east to mid-block crosswalk from 1:00 a.m. on July 8 to 2:00 p.m. on July 9; close pedestrian traffic on north sidewalk of Hollywood Blvd from theater west to northeast corner of Orange Ave and Hollywood Blvd from 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. on July 8 and from 4:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on July 9; close midblock crosswalk from 2:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. on July 8 and from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on July 9; close left turn lane of Orange Ave from 11:30 p.m. to 9:00 a.m., for the premiere of ?Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix? to be held at 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, July 8, 2007 and the ?Harry Potter Hand and Footprint Ceremony? to be held at 11:30 a.m. on Monday, July 9, 2007

20. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    Wow, DH, with that kind of job you could be a stalker. Excellent! Why are they doing the hand prints during the workday though? Ugh!

My PSP "HP: Order of the Phoenix" game came! I haven't played yet but the graphics look amazing.

21. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I have to figure out how I can swing it. We'll see.

22. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    so I entered this contest but I'm going to lose, since mine isn't a video.

23. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I'll pull for you CBM.

24. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I had my padawan enter the one for HBP but we did not win either. For those who are wondering where the after party is...

Entertainment Lighting Services, requesting Board approval and permission to close east side curb lane of North La Brea Ave from Sunset Blvd to Fountain Ave for 24 hours; close north and south curb lanes of De Longpre Ave from Sycamore Ave to La Brea Ave for 24 hours; close east sidewalk of North La Brea Ave from northernmost edge of Henson Studios to De Longpre Ave from 6:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m., for the post party for the premiere of ?Harry Potter? to be held at Henson Studios located at 1416 North La Brea Ave at 7:30 p.m. on Sunday, July 8, 2007

No, I won't be stalking the stars there... well, probably not any way...

I'm so dying! I can't wait for this movie to come out because I know it's going to be awesome!

25. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Okay, now I'm sad. I can't go on Sunday due to a family obligation that really does take precedence. :_| I'm going to try to go to the hand/footprint thingy though.

My calendar this year is a Harry Potter one (the last several years were Star Wars related). I went to the Live Leaky Mug podcast last year and got the hosts of two of my favorite podcasts to sign July since I knew the movie was coming out then. Later I found out the book was coming out also so that made the whole month HP month in my book. It makes me happy to see the autographs and Harry in general. I can't wait!

For the knitters among us, you can participate in this charitable event. If you go to the blog link, you can find a group near you. I'm going to see if I can participate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.