main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Muggle Chat (Potter Thread Version 2)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediBith, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    When you live past the Outter Rim, you get used to driving EVERYWHERE!!! It's no big deal. Of course, I probably would have begged to sleep on somebody's couch for a few hours before driving home that late.

Next time I'll check with you guys first. I really want to do an opening at the Chinese!

2. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I'm going to Mall of America. I maybe should've picked Willow Creek, the only theater 'round here that I'm fond of, but they don't sell tickets online and I didn't want to go anywhere yesterday, so....Anyway, Willow Creek would've meant a LOT less walking. I'm a little wary of how I'll do getting around MOA on crutches for 6 hours (from before 9:30, when I'll have to return the wheelchair, to 3-whatever, whenever we get back to my car...)! The only big walking parts will be the round-trip between the wheelchair place on the first floor to the theater, 1/4 way around the mall and on the 4th floor.

If I can convince my sister (she's not much of a rides person), I think I want to try going on rides while there! It's been so long since I've ridden on the Pepsi Ripsaw Rollercoaster (haha)...

3. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Would your sister consider leaving you in line at the theater returning the wheelchair for you? That would save you from walking... hobbling.

4. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Oh, DH, I'm going in costume too, but I have to be a boy student this time (pants), dammit! I'll also have to re-look-up how to tie a tie...and find my Mary Janes... At least with the pants I'll have a place to put my new (well, never been used) wand!

5. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Ooo, JF, that's a great idea! I hope that will work...my sister's not good at navigating and it will require going a ways...hmm, maybe she'll surprise me. :)

6. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I agree with DH, it's too hot for the robes and sweater. I'll just wear my Ravenclaw tie, and Crowbar will wear her Hufflepuff.

7. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    Driving into work every day for the last week has placed me in front of a huge OotP billboard at my freeway exit. This morning when I drove up, I felt like I was a member of the DA. It made me happy.

I heard it may rain so I'm going to bring my robe, not my sweater though.

8. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I posted my review on the movie thread. That's where you should too.

9. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    I just read a rumor this week that JK Rowling is reconsidering and may write another HP book after all.

10. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I posted that yesterday. See my 11:44 am post. What she said was Harry's story is really over after DH but she never did say never to subsequent books. Interpret away.

11. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Sorry DH, missed that one, probably because there were so many posts yesterday.

12. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I just watched the wand/hand/footprint ceremony on Mugglenet and it was fine. The kids looked genuinely excited to be there and were trying very hard to be articulate. As a terrible public speaker, I can totally relate to that. I kind of felt bad for them because the members of the press were having them turn and look and pose constantly as though they were trained monkeys. I wish I had decided to go earlier but oh well...

Oh, and JN took pictures of me with the slab 'o concrete before the midnight show and let me tell you it's hard to pose near them when you have a gate blocking your way. I look kind of funky.

13. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    A co-worker of mine was watching the news on Tuesday evening and saw DH waiting in line for HP. Good Job DH!

14. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Cool! (BTW, I totally read, "...watching the Muggle news...")

MAH HEAD IZ TURNED BRITISHY YES

15. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    DH was dressed really cool. I loved her outfit, no wonder they would pick her. She was the best dressed there.

In other Potter news I'm going to start HBP again this evening for a refresher. I hope to finish it by the time I get DH. I will read along with Jim Dale as his characterizations are the best and I can do a mental movie in my head.

16. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Hey SR, could I borrow those sometime? I could pay your postage or something... I guess I could look at the library but I'm lazy and also don't want to have to wait ages for them to be checked in/available in order (if the library has them at all, of course)...

17. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Well I would have to burn them to cd. What I did was exactly as you stated I went to the library checked them out (during a lull in the HPness so now wouldn't be a good time) and then ripped them all to my computer. I'm pretty sure that isn't legal but I'm not selling them or anything. Then I just download them to my zen.

18. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Ahhh, I'd forgotten that. Yeah, I never think of doing these things until it's probably not possible at ALL. Heh.

BTW, once I figure out how to make an actual dvd on dad's laptop (it's on the comp but has a menu and everything so I'd hope/want it to be able to play on a normal dvd player...) I have a little gift for you. :)

19. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Wow! Was I really on tv?? Which station? Coolness, I guess...friends saw me in line for Episodes 1, 2 and 3 also. I need to know who saw me now since it's obviously someone I know also. I am also curious to find out why I made the news in the first place because I made some disparaging remarks about how it isn't news out loud to a camera man.

Thanks for the compliment, SR. I now need to work on my Slyterin robes so I can really be the mean person I truly aspire to be. Plus, it gives me an excuse for my meanness.

I think my sister has some of them on CD. I'll ask her to burn copies if possible, though that would be illegal too, I suppose...

I've knitted two caps to give to charity and am working on a third (just to use up the yarn). It's a lot of fun. I am amazed with this woman's fandom. She included sock patterns. One is Harry's sock, the one given in CoS. She also has the striped one Dobby got to go with Harry's. Then to top it off, she included the ones Dobby gave Harry, the broomstick and the snitch ones. I've never made socks. I am thinking of making a Weasley sweater but don't know if I should make a Harry one, a Ron one, or a DH one. There's also a pattern for a Quidditch sweater!

20. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Would that be a certain concert from Hawaii?

21. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Maaaaaybe.

DH--when I read about those socks Dobby gave Harry, I really wanted them! I'd rather have both pairs, y'know, so they'd actually match, but I love cute socks like that. :) I'll be your cheerleader of you're going to make them.

22. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I'm going to give it a try, since, like I said, I've never done it before. I knitted with double point ended needles for the first time while knitting the hats and that's what I need to do for the socks. The great thing is one skein of yarn will make more than one sock so... pm your foot size to me.

23. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Mr. DH was talking about going to see a movie on Saturday night. I explained that I would not be joining them as I would be glued to the couch. We may take Mr. DH to see Transformers on Friday night before I go get my book. I can't wait!!!!

I think before the book comes out we should post a few ground rules. For at least the first three weeks, ALL spoilers must be blacked out. After that, then you are too slow a reader and you should just avoid this thread until after you've completed reading because I think everyone should be able to post without highlighting their words. Major spoilers should be preceded by the words "Spoiler Alert" so others will know not to read on, even after the black out period ends. All HP discussions should be limited to the HP threads only. If you happen to post something about DH on the other HP boards then add the words "Spoiler Alert" before it and add a few blank rows. Of course I may ridicule you for posting in the wrong place but then again it probably will be me hasketting the thread for HP any way so I will be chastising myself.

Are these okay with everyone?

24. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    I was actually thinking of starting a thread purely for DH (ha, ha) like I did last time, and saying a month of blackouts just to be safe...I'll definitely be done within a couple/few days, but, y'know, some people take MONTHS... *cough*SR!*cough* Anyway, I know you were asking about this a while back, DH, and I think it will be good to have it in its own thread, so people can come talk about the movies or whatever and not have to try to sort through posts and avoid book spoilers.

I don't think, after the highlights stop, that we need to keep saying "SPOILER ALERT" if it's in a separate thread just for Book 7, do you? I mean, the thread'll be clearly labelled, so people shouldn't go clicking and expect there to not be spoilers. The only reason I think it would be necessary is if JB doesn't want to be spoiled, since she has to read all the threads. SPEAK UP, JB! :)

Obviously, if someone is for some reason posting ANY stuff from the book in other threads, I'd say use the blackout no matter what time it is, maybe even until that *movie* comes around(!?...is that ok w/you, DH?).

25. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Sounds great, ES. I will let you start the new thread since you will have the book hours before we will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.