main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Muggle Chat (Potter Thread Version 2)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediBith, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I've still been going to all my regular internet places, though today I decided no more lj until the book is done. I've also been afraid since I get tons of junk mail that someone will put a spoiler in the name or title, but since that hasn't happened yet it probably won't. Do you guys realize the Aussies got their books more than 5 hours ago?!

2. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I'm not even going to read the chapter list, and this is pretty much the only site I;m going to. There were talking about it on the news on the way into work, how a few people got copies too soon, and how a few papers have reviewed it already. Like anyone cares about a newspaper review at this point?

3. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Oh yeah, I never read the chapter list. I remember I accidentally saw the titles "Dumbledore's Army" and "The Second War Begins" or something like that in OotP's and freaked out a bit...

4. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I read the end first because I get so totally wrapped up in the characters. I worry about each of them and can't focus on the storyline if I don't know who's gonna die. I highly respect anybody that has the willpower to resist!! Don't worry, I completely disagree with spoilers. I get after students all the time about that.

5. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    Counting down. Will read the internet summaries on Book 6 as I really can't remember all the back detail and think it will make 7 much more enjoyable.

I'm wearing my Sirius Black Azkaban jail shirt today. I'm still in mourning.

6. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    you should probably read the end of book 5 also, there's a lot about the prophecy, and Neville that I think might be important.

7. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Where are those internet summaries? I went to CBM's link and it looked like a contest...

8. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    In the middle of Chapter 9 of HBP now. Hoping to be finished by midnight.

9. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I see that the New York Times is taking some heat for doing a review of the book but not mentioning that in it's review there were spoilers.

Very bad form.

10. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Oh man. I wouldn't read any review *anyway*, since there are always spoilers of SOME kind in them, but that still sucks. I saw last night, when searching for HP activities this weekend, that the Star Trib had a review up. I quickly hit 'page down'!

11. ScootyPuffJr

ScootyPuffJr Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2007
    Yeah, I avoid the chap list too -- the last time something like this happened was the release of the soundtrack for TPM, which quite plainly stated "Qui-Gon's Funeral"!!!! GEE THANKS! We were almost crawling over each other, scrabbling to get to the phone to warn off our friend who was also buying the CD but tries hard to live the spoiler-free life. Fortunately we caught her in time...

IMHO Best spoiler of all time: "Peanuts" strip 12/9/73 'Rosebud...'

Mary-SPJ

12. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Oh man, the prequels' soundtracks' track listings!!! Jeez. Luckily, I too was warned. Funny, since I know I bought TPM's soundtrack but I wasn't in FF yet so I'm not sure who warned me...

13. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    Yeah the soundtrack spoiler got me too... [face_frustrated]

So, I wasn't going to rush out and get the book, but all the news outlets are talking about the spoilering idiots who are trying to ruin it for all of us, so I guess I'm going out tonight to buy it, and will spend the weekend reading. Our original strategy was to get the book in hand, THEN start from the first one and read them all straight through. Oh well. So now I'm forced to read those silly summaries. Time magazine's were pretty weak. Couldn't find anything on mugglenet. Are they the same as the Leaky Cauldron? I'm a bad HP fan I know...

14. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    Here Harry Potter Chapter by Chapter in the amphitheater. It starts with book one chapter one, "The Boy Who lived", and goes from there, so if you want book six, you'll have to jump ahead. As you read there will be spoilers, but only for books 1-6.

15. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    This is a clue-solving thread.

It's got a bit much for me with all the notes, and not much actual summary. Good for later, once I've re-read the books, but right now I just want to refresh my memory as to the plots.

I seek more a Cliff's notes version. But thanks!

16. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    JB, you should just call DH (or maybe me). Sometimes the internets iz hard and you have *people*, y'know? You don't need to frustrate yourself looking for good summaries.

17. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    I would but I'm at work, then off to Scrabble night...I can do internet discreetly, but calls I try to keep to a minimum. But thanks!

18. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Eee, how cuuuuute! On CNN they just showed the Britishy people counting down to midnight at some bookstore I've never heard of (Wattersons???). There was a big Hagrid leading the counting and a Harry there too. They whipped a cloth off a table full of the books (adult on the left, children's on the right) and glitter must have been on the cloth because it made quite a nice show when they tugged it. THE BRITS ARE ALREADY READING AT THIS VERY MOMENT. heehee.

Edit: grr, stupid *real* keyboard mesin' me up!

19. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Well, JB, you'll know where I'll be later-on, in line at the bookstore. ;)

20. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    I'll probably go to the bookstore tomorrow around noonish, hoping there are still some copies. I still need to get my sleep, you know.[face_laugh]

Hopefully I'll be done with the book before the weekend is out.

21. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    NO BOOK DISCUSSION IN HERE.

Only discussion about books 1-6 and the movies in this thread. Take all Book 7 talk to the Book 7 thread, and HIGHLIGHT EVERYTHING IN BLACK! Be sure to say what chapter you're on without highlighting so people know whether they want to read your comments yet.

:)

22. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Yes, thanks for the highlighting reminder. I still haven't gotten my copy. I think I will also drop whatever else I'm reading & pour over it almost as soon as it arrives.

I realize though, I made a bad choice here. I could have picked it up at Ralph's last night for $20! Now, I'm still waiting and, if you include the cost of shipping, I've even spent $7 more than that and didn't even get the book as soon as everyone else.

*Sigh* Oh Well!

23. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    I'd suggest going to Borders. It's only $22 there. I have a friend who said she got her copy for $15, but I have no idea where that would be, sorry.

24. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Too late! I'm not going to the store to buy another copy when I already bought one on Amazon. I'm just complaining that it was a bad choice. Because I spent more & I'm still waiting. But, no, I have no need for 2 copies of Deadly Hollows. I'm just staying away from the other thread until I can catch up.

But, thanks for the suggestion anyway.

25. Viceroy Craig

Viceroy Craig Jedi Master star 2

Sep 21, 1999
    It was $18.99 at Wal-Mart.

About the OOTP movie, the only thing I wish they had shown, was after Harry got the vision of Voldy torturing Sirius, I wish they had shown him asking Kreacher back at #12 Grimauld via the Floo Network if Sirius was there, and Kreacher lying on Lucius' behest saying he wasn't. They set it up in the movie perfectly when Hermionie says something like "What if he's just tricking you into going to the Ministry?". That would have made Kreacher's redemption in Deathly Hallows all the better. (**WARNING** Book #7 spoiler in the black area.)

It also makes the mirror that Sirius gave Harry that much more bittersweet to him, because afterwards, Harry realized he had a DIRECT way to contact Sirius instead of using the Floo Network.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.