Victoria. BC Mukashi Mukashi...a comparison of Star Wars to Fushigi Yuugi

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Sionnach_Dearg, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sionnach_Dearg Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, I talked about it and talked about it, and Im finally doing it, see Alakin!

Okay, for those (probably a lrage number of you) not familiar with Fushigi Yuugi (that is, those of you presently saying "Fu-what-y what?!") Fushigi Yuugi is a Japanese Animation loosely translated as Mysterious Play (or Strange Game) in English. It is the story of Yuuki Miaka and her best friend Hongou Yui, who are taken inside a strange book called the Shi Jin Ten Chi Sho (Four Gods' Sky and Earth) I've been Initiating Al into the wonders of this animated series, and as we were watching it, we noticed some pretty close parallels with Star Wars, and thought (I don't remember who first suggested it) that we should put up a discussion topic here.

Keeping in mind I haven't shown him the full series yet, and being about halfway through, I say we should start off with the relationship between Miaka and Tamahome. Personally I see lots of parallels there, at least in the very beginning, between the love story of Han and Leia ... especially Tamahome's obsession with money and his willingness to do almost anything for a few extra ryuu... lemme know what you think, and see if you can draw any other parallels!

Oh yeah, and I wanna know who your favourite FY character is!
  2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm getting together with Sionnach this Friday to sample the wonder that is Fushigi Yuugi. I am looking forward to being able to actually *contribute* something to this discussion.

Hey Sionnach... ever thought of a weekly or monthly Anime salon? You host a get together, we watch a couple of vids or DVDs and then chat about it over sushi or something?

I think that'd be fun!

*Derisa*
  3. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    Sure! I'll provide the sushi rice! NOT! :D

- Rani
  4. Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well since this topic was originally aimed at me, I should probably get around to replying. As Sionnach and I briefly discussed on wednesday, a weekly anime session would be great. I have offered my abode if she is unavailable for hosting but still available to provide the actual anime. If this gets off the ground, a topic edit might be in order and this thread can be saved!
  5. Sionnach_Dearg Jedi Knight

star 1
    Most certainly will try to organize this, I've been thinking about it for a while. Those who would be interested in such a thing let me know what your best day would be, although Friday is my preference, if that doesn't work for anybody else then I could swing another day...work is building, after this slow sumer it has totaly exploded, so I'm not so worried about taking a few hours off one day or other.

Anyway, let me know what kind of interest there is out there!

The sleepy foxy
  6. JEDIASSANT Jedi Master

star 1
    Hello~ Jedi Assant here across the water from Vancouver ;)

I can't help but to notice the Victoria base ;) Derisa did quite a bit in promoting it :D

Anyways... I can't believe that there's a thread on of my fav. amine... How did you get ahold of it anyways... and I'm thinking in english too... that's is just so cool...

I really hope you guy got a date down for this amine weekend ;) cus this is a really nice anime to watch... Too bad my midterms is coming up or I would totally join you guys... but oh well...

Have fun with the amine ;)

~Vancouver out
  7. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Coolness, ASSANT! :) I'm looking forward to seeing it. :) (singsTomorrow, tomorrow, I loves ya, tomorrow, it's only a day awaaayyy!)

Y'know, you are the first Tipocan to post any interest in coming here... we can make it super easy for ya: pick ups and drop offs at the ferry... all that fun stuff.All ya gotta do is say when! :)

See you tomorrow, Claire!

*Derisa*

8. JEDIASSANT Jedi Master

star 1
    Whoa... I feel so special... Thanks ;)

~~Federation Ambassador to Tipoca City Jedi Assant
  9. Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    So has a time been decided?
  10. Vills-Kavic Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think an anime introduction would be great... But if I am coming in at the point where everyone has seen the first few episodes but me, I will just rent them and spare you all watching them again!

-Vills
  11. Sionnach_Dearg Jedi Knight

star 1
    LOL Ah, but Vills, I could watch these ones again and again...and have! So if you can't catch the beginning I could just organize a time to meet sometime and catch you up...you'd have a bit of trouble finding this series in the video store, since I don't know of any that carry it.

And Al, on times for a weekly showing, I have to find out what my work scedule is turning into, it's in the process of transition this next week, and then it should settle into something fairly stable and I'll know when I'm free, so if people post now with their best times I can maybe work my work scedule around that.

Animefox

EDIT: my bad typing
  12. JEDIASSANT Jedi Master

star 1
    While you're at it I also suggest "Detective Conan" That is my fav. anime of all time ;) Is worth checking out :D
  13. Sionnach_Dearg Jedi Knight

star 1
    Rani, Derisa, it was great to have both of you over, it really brightened my day! And no worries, Suba-chan came out of hiding the minute she heard the van pull away, not a dummy that little miss! Have to figure out when we can do this again! I'll know better after this weekend. Der, you said fridays are usually best for you?

The anime kitsune and initiator!
  14. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    That was a whole lotta fun, Sionnach! :)

Fascinating story, cool chars, and lovely lovely men (and not-men). :)

SO far, I think Hotohiro's my fave, but we'll see once we get further on in. eight episodes is a lot to digest: we'll see what's up with my paiting, once I've processed what I've seen!

Fridays are the only day I have off work, and while I will be taking the ferries pretty much every Friday, I can manage a few hours in the evening for this sort of a thing. Not sure about weekly, but maybe every two weeks. :)

Thanks again for having us over (and Buddy's owner picked him up once we got home: Buddy's real name is Chucho. Coolness, but I'll miss him. Your cats however, are safe. :) )

*Derisa*
  15. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    I disagree with the Derisa "sleepyhead" Ollamhin, Hotohiro's a babe, but WAY too vain for my tastes. :)

I like Tama...Toma...what's-his-face - the Han Solo-type guy - much better.

I can so totally see the comparisons to Star Wars though, Sionnach! We've seen the she-Yoda, Emperor "I'm too sexy for my love" Hotohiro who could be compared to a young Obi-Wan, Tama the Han Solo-esque love interest, and the third seishi who could be argued to possess Padme/Amidala's strength, fashion sense, and duality. ;)

Next Friday specifically is a no-go for me. It's my Mom's 75th birthday party, can't really miss it. ;) Otherwise, Fridays or Saturdays are okay with me.

- Rani
  16. Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    Fridays are fine for me as well. Glad we got some more people enjoying the series. I am not sure how far you guys are so will reserve my favourite character comments for now.
  17. Gesh_Bomil Jedi Knight

star 1
    Once me and my wife move into our new place and settle down (Mid January), i'd love to start showing some of the anime i have once in a while. As for now my schedule is mini-home improvements, cleanup, packing and getting the best morgage rate on twelve systems! Good luck with the anime showing until then.

Gesh
  18. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm sure Sionnach will talk your ear off about anime, Gesh! She's busily converting all of us into avid fans: I'm even having visions of chibi Rogue Squadron pilots! (If only I were talented enough artistically, I'd draw the comic. :) )

Well, this Friday's out for me, Sionnach, but how is next for you? (That'd be October 10.) I will be on the ferries in the early afternoon, but could hang at your place fr a couple hours, anyway...

Let me know!

*Derisa*
  19. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    This Friday is less out for me, now, Sionnach, as my kids won't be going over to the mainland... I have them all: is it possible for you to come here to watch the next episodes on my VCR? I don't really want to inflict the kids on your poor cats, not after the trauma of Buddy last week. :) If you have work on Saturday, you are more than welcome to crash here if you need to.

Let me know what options we have. I'm needing a done of anime... :)

*Derisa*
  20. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    Derisa, are you making this an open invitation to everyone in the chapter, or just Sionnach? Your wording seems to imply an invitation for just one person.

If you were planning on making it open, that's wonderful and all good, and my apologies for misundersanding. :) If not, I'm afraid I have to remind everyone to limit private activity arrangements to private messages, otherwise it's unfair to others who show an interest in participating to have to read about something they're excluded from. ;) (Note: this doesn't apply to ongoing activities already in progress, such as in the circumstance of RPGs where the GM has justifiably limited the number of participants.)

- Rani
  21. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Good point, Rani: my apologies. If Sionnach is okay with coming over to my place to share her valued FY eps with us, I'm certainly game to have folks over to watch them!

I'll even bake the cookies! :)

Just gotta hear from Herself whassup. :)

*Derisa*
  22. Sionnach_Dearg Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have today free as a bird for whenever you want me to come over... and I don't even have work tomorrow, they rearranged the shifts due to next week's holiday, so I'm free then too. Just have to walk the pooch and get catfood and then I"m free, let me know what time!

The Anime Fox

EDIT: oh yeah, and YAY 100 posts!
  23. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Yay indeed! :D

Okay, I have a kid to pick up at a ferry between 5:30 and 6:30, so how is seven for you, Sionnach?

Anyone else wanna come?

*Derisa*
  24. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    Like I said before, Mom's 75th birthday party tonight. I can't go.

I think Alakin is interested, though. ;)

- Rani
  25. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    We'll miss you, Rani. :(

*Derisa*
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.