main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Multi-author Fanfic epic- Anyone up for it?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by MasterGhandalf, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    Sorry I've been absent for a while (lot of stuff going on IRL), but is anyone still here/still up for this? Anyone new feeling like contributing? Anything to say at all? I'm all ears :).

2. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    I'm still interested! I should redo the character sheets for my characters, but I think I have their final looks in place. :)

3. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Sounds good! I think I may PM (later today or early tomorrow) people who'd previously expressed interest and see if they're still up for it, and if I get about two more, I say we start talking some specifics of structure/plot/characters/etc.

4. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    Again, for the record I am so up for this! And I believe before we start thinking about plot, characters, and all that we should probably set in stone the time period in which we want this to take place. I think the New Sith War is perfect. Once we have that set in stone we could possibly write out a plot for what we think would be the best for this era and send them to MasterGandalf. Since this is his idea he could decide or we could have them post here in this thread and sort of take a vote. If our plot looses out it doesn't mean that we won't use some or maybe all of those elements though. Does that make sense? And is that a good idea even?

5. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Hello there! I think it's a great idea. I really hope you will do it!

I hope you don't mind...I'd like to throw some things in.
    Because of my NaNo novel, a SW fanfiction, I've had to do lots of research about Star Wars.
    Things to keep in mind:
    - population at the time of the story
    - what parts of the galaxy are populated/ explored
    - governments, their capitals, which planets belong to whom and if they switched allegiances, when did that happen?
    - third, independent parties that could appear on either side of the conflict
    - technology that was in use at that time (especially keeping in mind what hasn't been invented yet so you won't accidentally use it)
    - characters that lived at that time
    - major galactic events at the time of your story, but also before it (so you can refer to them)

What I'd actually recommend for you would be to create an online database all your authors can edit. There, you can store the background information, information about characters (OCs and established ones), technologies, plot developments....I think it would be helpful for you to keep the consistency and to make sure everyone has the same background information.

Again, hope you don't mind my barging in here. I'm hoping my post will give you some ideas and get the ball rolling again.

6. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Barging's perfectly all right, especially if you've got good ideas or useful thoughts, which it looks like you do:). I especially like the idea of an online database- that would make things much easier. Anyone know how to set one up[face_blush] ?

ETA: At the moment, I'm thinking definitely New Sith Wars, unless someone comes along with a really awesome suggestion for another era. And I'm definitely open to suggestions for the meta-plot!

7. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Hah, caught me there. [face_blush]
    I recall reading that the NJO authors had some sort of information database with the basic things they needed to know about each others' books, the overall plot line, etc.

I've looked around and as a free one, Grubba looks fine, but not a perfect fit for what I think you'd need.

Now that I'm thinking about it, an own wiki for this project might be best - that way you can add links to other parts of your database and images. It seems to be possible to create some as private wikis where you can specify who can see the wiki and who can edit it. Some of the free wiki hosting sites seems to have a member limit of 5, though. (The one below doesn't, but I want to mention it in case you want to look around further.)

Maybe http://www.wikispaces.com/ is something for you. At least it could be a starting point.

8. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    Setting up a Wiki through Wikia is fairly simple. I know that's what my friend and I did for the original setting we're working on for roleplay, haha! :)

9. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    All right- I've gotten a couple of pitches from people I've PM'd, and I'm going to post them here for your consideration. The first is from JediDingo, and outlines a jumping-off point for a New Sith Wars saga:

It has been 20 years since the Dark Underlord was slain by Jedi Master Murrtaggh with assistance from the Mandalorians. To defeat the Dark Underlord Murrtaggh faced a choice that would forever change his own destiny -- to defeat the Dark Underlord he had to give him self over to the dark side to do so. He started down a path that he felt like he could never turn back from. Despite numerous attempts from the JedI to reach out to Murrtaggh, he exiled himself for his actions. He believed if he were to live in seclusion, and never use the Force again he would stop himself from letting the dark side take over.

The Dark Underlord?s campaign against the galaxy had devastating effects that is still evident even twenty years later. The Sith still have huge numbers, but since the Dark Underlord?s passing no one Sith has been able to successfully lead the Sith in a cohesive group like the Dark Underlord. The Sith have been sectioned off. The public opinion of Jedi have waned, especially after the hero Murrtaggh exiled himself. There seems to be little or no hope in the galaxy, the Dark Underlord did a lot of damage to it in his time in power.

The story starts off with one of the Sith Lord?s who is extremely charismatic beginning to unite the Sith once again, but we learn that something much sinister seems to be going on than this just this Sith Lord?s desire for power. The spirit of the Dark Underlord is directing this young Sith for an evil purpose, and the Dark Underlord is ready to make his return to the galaxy. At the same time our main hero or possible twin heroes (maybe just brother and sister?s, late teens) transport crashes during a battle. A Jedi transport that is bringing people to train into the Order, and it is the transport that crashes. Only the hero/possibly heroes survive along with a Republic solider loyal to the Jedi. They happen to crash where former Jedi Master Murrtaggh has fled, and he saves them.

From there is still up in the air, but basically I thought it?d be a cool plot that dealt with the Dark Underlord, but after he was killed. I didn?t really want to step on what?s already canon, but instead use it to create a totally original story. He is basically trying to come back, and it could also be a redemption story for Murrtaggh.

The second idea, from earlybird-obi-wan, is a short bit involving the legacy of the Rakata:

Moniron
    Monira
    Valley of the Darrin 0.45 p.m.
    Not all of the traces of the Rakata were gone from the gloomy valley. They had landed there 30.000 years ago on a hill at the edge of a large lake in shuttles coming from one of their capital ships with a hyperdrive powered by the Force. And the landing had proved to be difficult because Darrin attacked immediately. It was their main nesting ground that the Rakata had chosen. One of the shuttles ? entangled with a large Darrin ? had crashed in the murky valley. None had survived. But the Rakata didn?t care and didn?t bury their dead. Geologically conditions were pointing to a volcano that would become active very soon. The Rakata killed the rest of the Darrin with their powerful weapons guided by the dark side of the Force and wondered why this was not as easy as they had expected. The Force was muffled by something unknown.
    After killing the Darrin in the large nesting ground a group of scouts returned in a hurry urging the leader of the Rakata to leave. Waves of uneasy feelings had been battering away at the Rakata, plants and animals had fled and sudden flash-floods and rumbling of the ground had revealed to the Rakata scouts that the planet was geologically unstable. The Rakata took the eggs of the Darrin and left. More than thousand Darrin corpses were littering the hills near the valley.
    The volcano became active. It was the only active mountain in the region where a hot spot had once given birth to Mount Moniron. All

10. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    With some working, we could fuse those ideas into one story.

11. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    I am pretty flexible either way. My idea is to do the comic as sort of an 'average joe' look at the conflict. Eventually Miska, the main character, will be able to hook up with the main story.

Really all I need is a setting where there's
    1. the opportunity for anti-Jedi sentiment
    2. the opportunity for a Sith to be kicking around

...and both of those settings have that.

Here's Miska, my main character.
    http://fav.me/d3gcyvo

I need to redo character sheets, and do a proper one for my antagonist Astoret/Darth Hedonia.

I'll go ahead and post what I PM'd earlier, if people would like to read my plans here -

12. Websinger2

Websinger2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2010
    Hello again, just saw this topic return to life and am willing to say that I am still interested in some capacity. The ideas people have put forward all sound very interesting and promising. :)

After the original discussion, with the suggestion on focusing on the New Sith Wars, I sort of became fascinated by Darth Ruin; it's disappointing just how little information we have on him. Anyways, I ended up plotting out a trilogy of fics based on his fall to the dark side, the beginning of the war and his eventual death. When people started putting forward the idea of featuring the Dark Underlord in some capacity, I ended up involving a forshadowing of the Underlord, setting the stage for his story towards the end of Ruin's. To this end, since I'm going to finish and post the Ruin trilogy anyways, since I'e found his story so fascinating, I'd be quite happy to consider it as more of a tie-in to this project, detailing the beginning of the war and including foreshadowing to the later story, with seeds planted for the project's storyline.

Of course that said, anything I can do for this project in general, be it including references to the plotline during Ruin's story, helping with the overall plot or whatever, I will happily help with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.