main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Multi-Fandom] Drabble Squadron (1/26: "Synchronicity" (Sapphire & Steel))

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Poe Drabbleron, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Poe Drabbleron

Poe Drabbleron Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Aurora Amica Musarum
    Fandom: Sleeping Beauty

The three fairies stared down at the slumbering form. "True love's kiss, eh?" asked Flora. "How long do you expect that to take?"

Merryweather shrugged. "A hundred years, maybe? Nice round number, that."

"Seems a waste," Fauna said. "We should give her one of those subliminal learning tapes."

"Can it be something artistic?" asked Merryweather.

A century and change later, Prince Phillip watched as his wife danced from the statue she was sculpting to the easel where she was painting another portrait of him.

"Don't you ever get tired, dear?" he wondered.

"I can't stop myself!" she snapped. "Help me!"

Sith-I-5, Tarsier and pronker like this.
  2. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Neque Mel, Neque Apes
    Fandom: Doctor Who
    Doctor: Second

"What," the queen buzzed angrily, "is this mammal talking about, Doctor?" She rose from her waxy throne, and her tiny wings fluttered, lifting her a few inches off the ground.

"Your Highness, please forgive Jamie." The Doctor leaned closer to his companion and said more quietly, "Now Jamie, the queen and her guards may look like the bees of Earth, but they're not actually related, and they don't necessarily behave like the insects you're familiar with."

"I think I ken, Doctor, but it's a real shame. Do they at least have sugar, then? I need something to sweeten this tea."

3. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Neque Opes, Neque Opus
    Fandom: The Office (US)

"I don't know what more I can do!" Michael whined, tears rolling down his cheeks. "I've tried telling them that they won't get paid if they refuse to work. I threatened to fire them all, but Toby said I can't."

Jan's voice asked over the speaker, "Well, what do they want? If everyone in the office is refusing to... Michael, do they want you to apologize for something?"

"Uh, maybe?"

"Michael, go back out there and apologize," she ordered. "Whatever this is about, if an apology will get them back to work, then do it."

"But I don't want to!"

Tarsier likes this.
  4. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Qui Tacet Consentire Videtur

The figure at the far end of the table rose solemnly and leaned forward, resting his weight on his fists. "Gentlemen, and ladies," he added, nodding toward two of the board members, "the time for debate is over. All those in favour of my proposal, raise your hand."

His was the only one to be raised.

"I see. Well, all those opposed?" Now, not a single hand went up. "The proposal carries, one vote to nil, with seventeen abstaining. I'll get started right away."

The Master left the conference room, not sparing the board members' shrunken corpses a second glance.

5. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Nihil Scire Est Vita Iucundissima
    Fandom: Red Dwarf

Kryten carefully arranged the charts and graphs on the table. "As you can see, Mr Rimmer, by a series of carefully controlled experiments, I have been able to conclusively prove that the happiest individual on this ship is the Cat."

Rimmer didn't even bother glancing at the paperwork. "Of course he is. But what you're forgetting, Kryten, is that he's only the happiest because he's a complete idiot. I'd much rather be intelligent and miserable than happy with a brain the size of a sardine."

From far down the hall, the Cat yelled, "Did someone mention sardines? Who has sardines?"

Sith-I-5 and pronker like this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    The subliminal tape thingy is your best in a long time.

7. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietam Servitutem
    Fandom: Batman

"I thought," the deep, electronically distorted voice echoed, "that your goal was a world free from crime! One that no longer needed a Batman! I am offering you that world, yet you reject me! Why?"

Below, on the floor of the warehouse, Batman listened carefully, always trying to discern the voice's source. "I reject any offer that sacrifices liberty for the sake of peace!" he yelled up.

"You pathet-" began the voice, but it cut off suddenly as three batarangs flew across the open space and slammed hard into the wall in a particular spot. A second later, they exploded.

pronker likes this.
  8. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Leporem Frondium Crepitus Terret
    Fandom: Bugs Bunny

Bugs cautiously poked his head out of the burrow. The rustling had stopped, but the source still had to be out here somewhere. Intellectually, he knew that it'd probably been nothing of consequence, just another harmless woodland creature. Or maybe it'd been one of the usual idiots he liked to torment.

But he couldn't shake the dread flooding through him.

The leaves rustled again; Bugs screamed and shot fifteen feet straight up.

"Aw, did I fwighten the widdle wabbit?"

From up in a tree, Bugs told Elmer, "You know, doc, the sarcasm doesn't work when you already talk like that."

9. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Libra
    Fandom: James Bond

Bond carefully avoided looking down. Right now, the board was still balanced over the crossbeam, but it wasn't yet taking his weight. He'd have to move fast, swinging his legs forward and hanging on by his fingertips, to avoid the entire board sliding back off its fulcrum, tipping into the abyss below.

The moment he left solid ground, he realized he'd miscalculated, badly. The crossbeam wasn't nearly as strong as it had looked; there was no way it could take his full weight, plus that of the jiggling board he was hanging from, long enough for him to get across.

10. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Whew! That was a great snippet of action to throw us into, though now I'm curious as to his survival. [face_thinking]

Before that, your Sleeping Beauty and the Doctor Who drabble with the Master were my favourites on this page. Wonderfully done. =D=

11. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: Unius Compendium, Alterius Dispendium
    Fandom: Batman ('66)

The Joker glared as Batman and Robin swung in through the open window. Clutching the emerald idol to his chest, he snarled, "You can't make me give this up! I found it, so it's mine fair and square!"

Batman replied, "Joker, you malevolent maker of mischief, that statue belongs to the museum."

"Belonged, past tense, Batman. I think I'm going to name it Warren, after an uncle I used to have."

"Holy nine-tenths, Batman!" Robin shouted. "What can we do?"

"Patience. Joker, when you found the idol, where was it?"

The Joker said, "On that plinth, behind some Plexiglas. Why?"

12. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: In Vestimentis Non Stat Sapientia Mentis
    Fandom: Night Court

"Snazzy suit, counselor." Harry leaned forward over the bench to get a better look at Dan's new clothes.

"Handmade by a blind Italian tailor who only completes three suits a year," Dan boasted. "I've been on the waitlist since law school."

"It's very nice, Dan," Christine said.

Dan glared for a second, then regained his pride. "You know what they say, a smart suit is a sign of a smart mind."

Mac pointed past them. "I wouldn't be so sure of that." Everyone turned toward the back of the courtroom; there, in a nearly identical suit, Bull stood, nervously fidgeting.

pronker likes this.
  13. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Via Trita, Via Tuta
    Fandom: Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman addressed the group behind her without looking back. "Wait here until I tell you it's safe to move. When you do follow, step only where I have stepped, following my footprints exactly."

One of the refugees, a small girl, asked, "You're leaving us?"

Now, Wonder Woman did turn around. "Only for a moment. This is a minefield, and I must find the safe path for you to cross. Where you see a footprint instead of a crater, you know there's no mine. Where there is a crater, be glad it takes more than a landmine to harm me."

14. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Io!
    Doctor: Sixth

The Doctor pointed at the monitor. "This, Flip, is Io, one of the moons of Jupiter, and one of only two geologically active bodies in your solar system."

"That is so cool! What's the other one, then?"

"The Earth," he replied sternly.

"Oh, right, I get it now, duh." She gestured toward the image. "You was referring to the volcanoes. Are we going out there?"

"I hadn't been planning on it, no," he explained. "What little atmosphere this moon has will almost certainly be toxic."

"Is that why those guys are wearing those suits?" she asked.

"Guys? Those are Cybermen!"

15. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, Flip. :p :oops:

I particularly liked the Wonder Woman one before this - that was great little snippet. =D=

16. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: Leviter Volat, Sed Graviter Vulnerat
    Fandom: Torchwood

As soon as Ianto set foot in the Hub, Jack tackled him, knocking him to the ground so hard that Ianto barely noticed the pop in the air where his head had been. "Stay down!" Jack hissed.

Ianto was about to protest but stopped when he saw Gwen, gravely injured, near the stairs. "Whatever it is," Jack explained, "it's circling, riding the thermals of the air conditioning. We must find a way to-"

A sudden screech made both men look up. Myfanwy, the unofficial pet pteranodon living in the Hub, soared down, grabbed something, and flew back into the shadows.

17. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Just had to visit as soon as I saw "Torchwood".

Great use of Myfanwy, And good overall.

Good punchline with the Bugs Bunny one.

Re. Wonder Woman, it might take more than a mine to stop her, but does it take more than one to lift her off the ground? She could be bouncing round that place like Sideshow Bob in a field full of rakes!

Not easy fitting legible prose in a 100 words; you are really good at this.

18. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks. I don't remember, besides the obvious, what prompted this one.

Title: Non Remedium Adversus Sycophantae Morsum
    Fandom: Spider-Man

Peter had to be careful not to slam his fist or slap the wall as he yelled. "MJ, even if I could prove that Jameson was behind these attacks himself, it wouldn't undo the damage." To his surprise, Mary Jane had glanced away fearfully when he'd said that. "What aren't you telling me?" he wondered.

"Nothing!" But as the night sky cleared momentarily, he saw tufts of gray hair sprouting where none had been.

"Sideburns!" he spat.

She wailed, "It's not what you think!"

"I think Jameson's running around biting people, causing the strange transformations!"

"Fine, it's what you think."

EDIT: Whoops, hadn't meant to post two in one day.

19. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Nil Tam Inaestimabile Est Quam Animi Multitudinis
    Fandom: Gotham

Harvey stuck his fingers through the blinds to peek out. "Hate to say it, partner, but there's a mess of people out there, and they're baying for your blood."

Jim grunted. "Huh. Must be an odd-numbered week. I wonder which member of Gotham's elite I ticked off this time. And," he added, glancing around at the derelict mansion, "how these 'concerned citizens' knew to come here instead of protesting at the station like everyone else."

"I'll give you two guesses on that second one," said Harvey.

Jim glanced out and saw who stood at the front of the pack. "Penguin?"

pronker likes this.
  20. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Excute Mihi Ignem, et Allucebo Tibi
    Fandom: World of Warcraft

Eyeri laid her hand on the cave's icy wall and sighed. The environment itself seemed to be fighting against her; if she couldn't so much as create a flame, how did she expect to be of any help to the other party members?

"Does anyone have something that can generate a spark?" she asked. "It doesn't need to be big." The dwarven rogue grinned and pulled out a small block of flint. He struck it with his steel dagger, and the sparks gave Eyeri all she needed and more.

Soon the party was moving, several large fireballs hovering around them.

21. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Omnia Mea Mecum Porto
    Doctor: Seventh

The Doctor ran to the edge and reached out, but the TARDIS was already many metres away and falling ever further into the ravine. He closed his eyes and dropped to his knees.

Ace laid a comforting hand on his shoulder. "The TARDIS is tough, Professor. We'll get it back."

He nodded. "It's just that, right now, everything I have in the universe is at the bottom of this chasm."

"What about the home on Allen Road, or the bank accounts you squirreled away?" she asked.

"Thousands of light years that way and millennia into the past."

Ace swore loudly.

pronker likes this.
  22. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Fac et Excusa
    Fandom: Law & Order: SVU

"Stabler, Benson, my office, now!" yelled Captain Cragen. Once they were inside, he continued, "What're you doing out there? You can't run around doing whatever you feel like and just make up excuses after the fact!" As he yelled, he slammed the door shut and closed the blinds.

After a brief pause, he burst out laughing, and they joined in. "You think anyone bought that?" he asked. "But seriously, you have to be careful pulling that with people with the power to actually ruin my day. Let's give it a minute, then go back to your desks looking chastened, okay?"

Tarsier likes this.
  23. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Si Fecisti, Nega.
    Fandom: Law & Order

Detective Briscoe stormed out of the interrogation room, leaving Greene alone with the suspect. Trying a different approach, he sat on the corner of the table. "Look, I get it," he said. "You want to put up a brave front, but we have video from over a dozen cameras, not to mention a couple hundred witnesses."

"Whatever," the man said, leaning back in his seat. "I still didn't do anything."

"Who're you trying to kid, man?" Greene asked.

The suspect leaned back, his hands behind his head. "Doesn't matter. I never did anything illegal, and nobody here can prove otherwise."

24. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Divide et Impera
    Fandom: Law & Order: Criminal Intent

Detective Goren rose from the table, tapping his forehead and pointing. "I see what you're trying to do," he said. "You're playing mind games, getting me riled. Meanwhile, you're preying on my partner's concerns that I'm unstable. If you're lucky, you'll get me removed from your case. At the very least, we'll be too distracted to prove how you killed those women, right? Divide and conquer, or maybe divide and escape?"

"Have you had these paranoid delusions long?"

The door opened. "Not long at all, Dr. Baxter," said Detective Eames.

Goren grinned. "And you thought he wouldn't fall for it."

25. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Scorpio
    Fandom: James Bond

Skorn reached into the terrarium with his tongs and picked up one of the scorpions by its tail. He slid the lid back into place and walked toward Bond's chair, holding the tongs at arm's length and leaning away from the wriggling arachnid on their end. As soon as he was close enough, he dropped it into Bond's lap and immediately stepped back.

Bond let his body relax. He didn't dare give the creature a reason to sting. He looked up at Skorn and smiled calmly. He'd just noticed what his captor had missed: Skorn hadn't latched the terrarium lid.

pronker and Tarsier like this.