main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Multi-Fandom] Drabble Squadron (1/26: "Synchronicity" (Sapphire & Steel))

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Poe Drabbleron, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Poe Drabbleron

Poe Drabbleron Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: Forma Viros Neglecta Decet
    Fandom: 30 Rock

Pete shook his head. "But the guy looks like a wino!"

"A very pretty wino," Liz replied, and Jenna and Cerie cooed their agreement.

"If you met an actual wino who looked like that," he asked, pressing his point, "like an actual smelly wino, do you really think you'd be attracted to that? Would you want to sleep with him?"

Liz and Cerie conspicuously failed to answer, but Jenna said, "I was married to a homeless man for almost two weeks in 1996."

"Right, my bad. I should preface every hypothetical I say with, "Who here besides Jenna...'" Pete admitted.

2. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Lucri Bonus Est Odor, Ex Re Qualibet
    Fandom: Guardians of the Galaxy

Peter shook his head. "Something about this job doesn't smell right."

"You fear it's a trap?" asked Drax.

"No, just the opposite. I'm almost too sure it's not."

Drax snorted. "You speak in riddles."

"Whatever," said Rocket. "This job's gonna be quick and easy and, for once, totally legitimate."

Peter screamed, "Yes! That's the problem! It's too legit! We need something that dirties our hands a little, but this is just so squeaky clean."

"You worry too much," observed Drax.

Groot agreed. "I am Groot."

"Fine," Peter relented. "But you have no idea what this will do to our reputations."

pronker likes this.
  3. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Oh Peter, so sweet even when you're trying to be tough ... :p[face_love]

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, Peter. You don't fool anyone for a second. I'm with Groot on this one. ;)

Another excellent drabble! =D=

5. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: Vectigalia Nervi Sunt Rei Publicae
    Fandom: The IT Crowd

Roy and Moss stood afraid as Douglas Renholm paced circles around them. "Why, you ask, don't we just tax the rich? What makes you think that the nearly thirteen pounds - already an outrageous amount - I paid to Inland Revenue last year was the totality of my tax burden?

"I paid more in bribes to politicians last year than you'll see in a lifetime! That's the real tax that keeps our government running smoothly, that holds your precious democracy together! But do I get any credit? No!"

His secretary's voice announced, "Mr Renholm, that auditor from Inland Revenue is here."

"SEE?"

pronker likes this.
  6. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Genetrix Virtutum Frugalitas
    Fandom: Family Guy

Carter put his feet up on his ivory desk and gestured toward the only other chair in the study. "Peter, have a seat."

Peter gingerly sat down; immediately, metal shackles wrapped around his wrists and ankles. "What the...?"

"Peter, we need to have a word, you and I," Carter said. "There's an old saying that frugality is the mother of all virtues. You need to stop being so cavalier with money." He threw his pet pterodactyl a fish.

Peter protested, "But Mr. Pewterschmidt, you're the least frugal person I know!"

"Yes, but I'm insanely wealthy and don't care about virtue."

7. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Sub Rosa
    Fandom: The Blacklist

Red leaned forward and explained, "They're secrets brokers, a network of intelligence gatherers so invisible that no member has ever been positively identified. Certainly their leadership, if such even exists, is a complete mystery."

Elizabeth shrugged. "Have you asked your manicurist?" she quipped. The other FBI agents glanced at each other to confirm they weren't the only ones confused.

"Why?" Red asked. "Because her name's Rosa? Do you really think an organization that's little more than a whisper would be named after its head? Grow up, Agent Keen."

Agent Ressler shoved the elderly man into the car. Red shouted, "See?"

8. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Taurus
    Fandom: James Bond

Bond knew he had to time his move just right. Even though the charging man's head was down, he'd have more than enough time to compensate for any move Bond made prematurely. And if Bond moved too late, he'd be slammed into the wall by three hundred pounds of rampaging muscle mass.

At the last possible second, Bond threw himself to the side and ran. The man made a desperate attempt to turn and grab at Bond; it wasn't enough to prevent him smashing into the wall, but did mean he collided leading with his shoulder rather than his skull.

pronker likes this.
  9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooh, that was a nice bit of action captured in just a few words. That was a very clever way to tie in your title. :p

But, before this, your Blacklist drabble completely made my morning. Your Red-voice was wonderfully spot on, and I highly enjoyed reading it. [face_laugh][face_laugh]

=D=

10. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: Gerrae!
    Fandom: Smallville

"Gerrae! This is nonsense!" the old man yelled, clutching at his tunic. "You speak of the future as though it were a place one could simply ride to and from on a chariot! Leave now, before I call the guards!"

Clark decided not to argue with the man and walked away, back into the crowds.

Since he'd found himself in ancient Rome three days earlier, Clark had tried desperately to find someone he could get to help him find out how he had got here and how to return. The old man's response had been one of the nicer ones.

11. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Nihil Dictum Quod Non Prius Dictum
    Fandom: Doctor Who
    Doctor: Seventh

Despite the heavy chains, the Doctor pulled himself back up onto his hands and knees, then raised his head and glared defiantly at the Emperor. "What," he spat, "do you think you can try that a thousand other petty dictators on a thousand other worlds haven't tried already?" He staggered to his feet. "What do you think you can say to me that I haven't heard before?"

The Emperor said, "Sorry, I only wanted you here to ask if your companion would be impressed if I had our forests painted mauve."

The Doctor whispered, "Eat your heart out, Noam Chomsky."

12. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Incipere Multo Est, Quam Impetrare, Facilius
    Fandom: Pinky and the Brain

Pinky pondered the question, really and truly, harder than he ever had before. "Well, gee, Brain, you do rather abandon your world domination plans a lot, often on the slightest of justifications." And then, thinking even harder, he added, "Why would anyone wear a jacket that breaks wind?"

Brain just stared at him in shock.

He read the computer readout again. Seventy percent. Seventy percent of his plans for taking over the world were abandoned either in the preliminary stages or for reasons tangential to the plan. Or both.

"Pinky," he declared, "never again! I will never give up again!"

pronker likes this.
  13. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_laugh] Pinky inspires even when he doesn't mean to - priceless!

14. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: Dum Floreat, Uti
    Fandom: Lethal Weapon

"Riggs, take some time off tonight," Roger insisted. "Go to your kid's play, spend some time with your family."

"But the case. I need to-"

"Forget the case for one night, man! Forget about everything but Lorna and your children! When you get to be my age, the biggest regrets in life are the missed chances to be there for your loved ones."

Martin grinned. "I thought it was not getting enough fiber."

Roger chuckled for a second, then became serious again. "Riggs, do you even know," he asked, "which of your children is going to be in this play?"

pronker likes this.
  15. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_laugh] That drabble hit all of the right spots! These two have to be one of the ultimate bro-ships ever, and you captured their voices wonderfully. The last line just cinched it. =D=

16. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: Tandem Fit Surculus Arbor
    Fandom: Guardians of the Galaxy

"It's a toy, captain. It dances when you play music. Well, any sound, really, but it reacts best to music. Do you want me to make it dance for you?"

The pirate captain didn't answer; he walked around the table, then bent down to examine the alleged toy carefully. "How long have you had this thing?"

"I got it at that last planet we stopped at."

"And you've never noticed," the captain asked, "as it punched down through the table and grew a giant tree creature underneath?"

"I am Groot," said the tree.

"No, captain. I'm afraid I missed that."

17. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    The first Guardians of the Galaxy piece on this page was good, but I felt the characterisation of Denholm Roynolds(?), and ended up liking the IT Crowd one more.

The GoTG piece directly above, niiiice punchline with the Captain's observation.

I can't translate the Latin titles, so have no idea if they reflect their drabbles or not.

18. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks. Before I'd started, I thought the calendar would mostly be words and short phrases. Instead, it's been a lot of full sentences, which have provided more of a challenge. Case in point...

Title: Omne Vivum Ex Ovo
    Fandom: Star Trek: The Next Generation

"Of course the universe hatched from a great egg!" Lieutenant Flapp yelled, raising one wing in exasperation. "Do you really mean to tell me that this isn't a fundamental truth of your worlds' religions?"

Geordi said nothing, but Ensign Aaraazaa said, "We believe the universe began as a giant worm that then allowed itself to be cut in half billions of times until those pieces became the building blocks of our reality."

"Trust the annelid species to come up with that one." Flapp remarked.

"And you being avian didn't influence the egg thing?"

Unnoticed, Geordi quietly ran from the room.

pronker likes this.
  19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I liked the annelid influence line and stance.

You must know more skilled people than me, cos I don't see being able to run silently indoors.

20. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Carpeting helps.

Title: Rota Plaustri Male Uncta Stridet
    Fandom: Angry Birds

The royal procession ground to a halt as King Pig leaned down to ask why something below his sedan chair kept squealing, interrupting his important daydreaming. Corporal Pig glanced back at the minions assigned to wheel duty and spotted the culprit at once.

The pig's green skin was red and blistered, and cactus spines poked out all over. The other "wheels" were faring only slightly better. All four were gazing longingly at a shallow patch of mud alongside the road.

Corporal pig nodded and grunted that they'd never see mud again if they didn't shut up and get moving immediately.

pronker likes this.
  21. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Veritas Premitur, Non Opprimitur
    Fandom: Soap

"You can't keep this a secret forever!" Burt yelled, now struggling only intermittently against the men holding him. "Eventually, people will find out!"

The agent straightened his tie and laughed. "We're the government, Mr. Campbell. You'd be shocked at how long we can keep a secret." He snapped his fingers, and the men let Burt drop to the floor.

"But as it happens, we don't need to keep this hidden forever, just long enough for the people not to care when they find out. We estimate," he said, glancing at his watch, "that will be about three months from now."

pronker likes this.
  22. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Occasio Pulsat Ostium
    Fandom: Archer

Archer sat alone in the darkened room, his eyes on the shadows of the feet of whoever was on the other side of that door. Perhaps, he thought, it was true what people said; while his senses of hearing and taste were out, his eyesight was much more acute.

He saw the door shudder under the impact of the heavy pounding, but he didn't move. It could be assassins sent to take him out or someone from his mother. Either way, he was taking no chances.

Putting the oversized check back, Marty asked, "What was the name drawn after this?"

pronker likes this.
  23. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Nullus Locus Est Instar Domus
    Fandom: Doctor Who

"Surely you have a home," Jenny said, trying to find some way to relate.

Strax replied, "Silly Earther, the entire Sontaran Empire is my home."

"But where were you born?" she asked. "Where'd you grow up?"

"I was decanted in a cloning facility on a world I could not name, one of tens of thousands scattered throughout the Empire. I was one of millions of clones created that day, each genetically identical to the rest. Even if I could remember the planet, it would be the same as all the rest."

Jenny said, "That's the saddest thing I've ever heard."

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    No place like home - I like how you used your prompt! And I can completely see this being a conversation between Jenny and Strax. It's really spot on. =D=

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Well done with Nullus Locus Est Instar Domus.

I could hear Strax' voice with his second sentence, and like Mira_Jade, could this as a typical Jenny / Strax convo, but perhaps not referring to someone as an Earther.