main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Multi-Fandom] Drabble Squadron (1/26: "Synchronicity" (Sapphire & Steel))

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Poe Drabbleron, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Poe Drabbleron

Poe Drabbleron Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Two years go by so quickly, don't they? Here is the latest incarnation of my drabbles thread. Many of my other non-Star Wars drabbles, including those posted under my prior usernames, can be found in the following threads:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/50017455]It's[/url] a Drabble!
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/50033491]It's[/url] a Drabble! Olympic Edition
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/32030109]The[/url] Count's Drabbles
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/50009115]UDC[/url] VII: Drabbles Unchained
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/32036929]The[/url] Count's Shufflin'
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/30716441]Salacious[/url]' Drabbles
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/31730461]UDC[/url] VI: For a Few Drabbles More
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/30965061]UDC[/url] 5: Thread Accumulating Response Drabbles in Sets
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/30689718]UDC[/url] 4: Carry On Drabbling (http://boards.theforce.net/threads/29952077]First[/url] two weeks)
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/29181451]Drabbi's[/url] General Drabbles
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/29353200]Drabbles[/url] of Doom
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/29431494]Sunnydrabble[/url] High
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/28820479]Ultimate[/url] Challenge Drabbles

As of January 24 2017, this thread contains drabbles in the following fandoms:

* The Addams Family
    * Angry Birds
    * Archer
    * Arrested Development
    * Arrow
    * The A-Team
    * The Avengers (UK)
    * Babylon 5
    * Batman
    * Blackadder
    * The Blacklist
    * Blake's 7
    * Bugs Bunny
    * Burn Notice
    * Captain Kangaroo
    * Challenge of the Superfriends
    * Danger Mouse
    * Discworld
    * Doctor Who
    * Dragon's Lair
    * DuckTales
    * Earthworm Jim
    * Family Guy
    * The Fantastic Four
    * Farscape
    * Fireball XL5
    * Firefly
    * The Flash
    * Flash Gordon
    * Frasier
    * Futurama
    * Gargoyles
    * Get Smart
    * Ghostbusters (2016)
    * G.I. Joe
    * Golden Girls
    * Gotham
    * The Green Hornet
    * Guardians of the Galaxy
    * House of Cards (UK)
    * How I Met Your Mother
    * The IT Crowd
    * It's Your Move
    * James Bond
    * Law & Order
    * Law & Order: Criminal Intent
    * Law & Order: SVU
    * LazyTown
    * The Legend of Zelda
    * Lethal Weapon
    * Looney Tunes
    * Married with Children
    * Masters of the Universe
    * Maverick
    * Murder, She Wrote
    * Newhart
    * Night Court
    * The Office
    * Pinky and the Brain
    * Primeval
    * The Prisoner
    * Psych
    * Red Dwarf
    * Sapphire and Steel
    * The Simpsons
    * Sledge Hammer!
    * Sleeping Beauty
    * Smallville
    * Soap
    * Spider-Man
    * Star Trek
    * Star Trek: Deep Space 9
    * Star Trek: The Next Generation
    * Suicide Squad
    * Superman
    * Super Mario Bros.
    * The Third Man
    * 30 Rock
    * Torchwood
    * Wonder Woman
    * World of Warcraft
    * The X-Files

2. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: The Gordian Knot
    Fandom: James Bond

Bond slipped the cover off the explosive and tossed it aside. The inside was packed with an incredibly dense, impossibly complex tangle of wires, all identically beige.

He quickly concluded that "impossible" wasn't just an exaggeration; there was no way the makers could have distinguished these beige wires, so they couldn't possibly be real. He grabbed as much of the tangle as he could and pulled.

Moneypenny set a bag of grapes on the table beside Bond's bed. "The doctors expect you'll be up and about within six to eight weeks. I expect you'll be harassing the nurses within three."

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    [face_laugh] Poe Drabbleron, welcome to the Boards.

You started with a good one right there, with The Gordian Knot.

4. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks. Welcome to you, too.

Title: The Eleventh Day
    Fandom: Primeval

Abby yelled, "Connor, stay back! What are you doing?" He just glanced back at her and grinned before stepping right up to the anomaly. She started to go after him, but Professor Cutter stepped in front of her and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Here goes nothing," Connor said as he leaned forward and poked his head and shoulders through the hole in time.

On the other side, the version of himself from eleven days earlier gasped in shock and stumbled back into that time's Cutter. The slightly older Connor laughed. "I bet you weren't expecting this, were you?"

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I love your new username!!

And awesome new start to a drabble thread :D I'm glad to see you continuing!

6. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks. There wasn't really any question of continuing. I just have to regenerate every two years. [Can you believe I'm up to #7?]

Title: You Have Failed This City
    Fandom: Arrow

"Oliver Queen, you have failed this city."

From across the room, Oliver glared at Felicity. It had been a week since she'd started playing that smartphone game, and every time she lost a game and her city fell apart, it announced-

"Oliver Queen, you have failed this city."

"Felicity," he shouted, "when will you get tired of that stupid game?"

She replied, "Never. But that last one wasn't actually me."

"I can't get my city to last more than thirty seconds," Diggle said as he came down the stairs.

Oliver pleaded, "Will you guys at least stop using my name?"

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Okay, Doctor :p That is partially hard to believe, but you have changed your handle many times over the years, so I guess I can! :p

[face_laugh] Poor Oliver :p This is funny, but that probably hits a super-sore spot with him.

8. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooh, I like your latest regeneration. ;)

And this last bit had me cracking up, in particular; I can easily see how that would hit a button with poor Oliver, but still, too funny. :p [face_laugh]

=D==D=

9. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks. [And, for the record: Drabbo Fett (2003-2005), Drabba the Hutt (2006-2007), Drabbi-Wan Kenobi (2008-2009), Salacious Drabb (2010-2011), Count Drabbu (2012-2013), Admiral Drabblar (2014-2015), Poe Drabbleron (2016-).]

Title: Mind the Gap
    Fandom: Doctor Who
    Doctor: ?

"I feel like there's something I'm forgetting." The Doctor tried shaking his head to loosen the stubborn fact.

His companion, uh... someone, said, "As much as they've messed with our minds, it's a miracle we can remember anything."

"You've got a point there, you," the Doctor replied, tentatively punching the human (maybe?) on the shoulder. "Still, I have the sinking suspicion that this is something important."

In the distance, there was a loud splash.

The Doctor snapped his fingers, surprising himself. "Of course! The TARDIS was about to fall into the water!"

"Doctor, isn't that a bad thing?"

"Is it?"

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] That seems like quite the sticky (or wet, as the case may be :p ) situation.

I think I remember Drabbo Fett, Salacious Drabb, and Admiral Drabblar (of course) the best.

11. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_laugh] That's definitely quite the thing to forget. (Though I also liked him forgetting his Companion's name. :p)

Another wonderful snippet. =D=

12. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: The Advent of the Patient
    Doctor: Fourth

The Doctor grinned. "It's called an Advent calendar. You open up one door each day leading up to the final door on Christmas morning."

"That is silly," Leela replied. "Why should you wait when you can simply open every door now?"

"Because that's the fun of it! It's all about having patience! Surely even among the Sevateem, they had the concept of patience."

She said indignantly, "I can be patient! I am patient with your antics often enough, am I not?"

"Then prove it," he told her.

"I cannot. Someone has already opened all of these."

The Doctor flushed. "Ah."

pronker likes this.
  13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Patience is indeed a virtue, though not one I possess :p

14. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: The Hornet's Sting
    Fandom: The Green Hornet

The Green Hornet slid under the mook's wild swing, then lashed back with his Hornet Sting. He caught the man on the back of the knee, causing him to buckle and pitch forward, unconscious before he landed.

The Hornet leaped up, stepped over the fallen foe, and ran toward the group closing on in Kato. In the few seconds it took, all but one of those had fallen, and the last was teetering on the brink of falling. Both the Hornet and Kato hit him with uppercuts, and the man rose several feet into the air before crashing back down.

pronker likes this.
  15. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Mr. Flippers
    Fandom: The Flash (2014)

Cisco clapped when the blip came up on his screen. "If you're going to catch Mr. Flippers, you need to do it now."

"I'm on it," Barry announced before speeding from the room.

"Cisco," said Iris, "I think your villain nicknames are getting worse."

"No, that's his actual name," Caitlin explained. "He's a penguin at the Central City Zoo. Or, well, he was."

Everybody turned as Joe entered the room. "Then why," he asked, "don't you just call him the Penguin?"

Cisco seemed to consider this for a second for summarily dismissing it. "Eh, nope. I like Mr. Flippers better."

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] A fun nickname makes everything better :D

17. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: The Emperor Proscribes
    Fandom: Babylon 5

Londo rose and glared at the pathetic creatures groveling before him. "Who," he shouted, "is the emperor here? Is it you? Or you? No, it's me. And I forbid this!"

Most of the courtiers stepped back, but one stayed put. Cowering, he said, "But Your Eminent Majesty, everything is already arranged! They're already on their way!"

"I don't care! Have their ship turned back! Or blasted into atoms and smeared across space!" He smiled at the thought. "I won't tolerate this fawning idolatry!"

"But-"

"No buts!" Foam gathered at the corners of Emperor Londo's mouth. "And no Rebo and Zooty!"

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Poor guy :p

19. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: The Definition of Beauty
    Fandom: World of Warcraft
    Timeframe: Before the War of the Ancients

The courtier bowed low as he scuttled back from Aszhara's throne. "You, my queen, are the very definition of beauty."

"You flatter me," she replied without smiling. "Beauty fades. Appearances change."

"I mean what I say. You define what beauty is, and if you change, so too must beauty itself to match." He grinned at his own cleverness.

"So if, one day, my face slid off," she pressed, leaning forward, "then facelessness would be the new beautiful?"

Now realizing the trap he'd jumped into, the courtier stammered, "I guess so, yeah."

"Even if my legs fused into a serpentine tail?"

20. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: The Metrics of Snow
    Doctor: Twelfth

"Snow," said the Doctor. "Every square centimetre of this planet's surface is covered in metres of the stuff! Can you imagine the hassle of having to shovel all that up?"

The men glanced at each other, confused. One stepped forward to ask, "Why would anybody ever need to shovel it all? By definition, they'd only ever need to uncover-"

"Fine, yes, we get it," the Doctor snapped. "Aren't you just the cleverest clog in a whole drawer of clever clogs?"

"Not really. We were all thinking it." The men nodded in agreement with this.

"Then you're all clever clogs! Congratulations!"

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ug, that sounds horribly cold and quite the hassle indeed!

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Yup, that does sound like hard, unpleasant work. But those clogs - [face_laugh] one wonders if they always think alike? :p

23. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks. And now we're to stuff written in 2016. Going into the new year, I set myself a new challenge. I got a page-a-day calendar with Latin sayings, and I decided that for this year, I would write a drabble each day* with that page's saying as the theme and title. Many of these drabbles won't be postable here, because they're not fanfic, but you're going to be seeing a lot of Latin here in the coming months.

*Because this is one of those calendars that just has one page for the full weekend, Sunday drabbles aren't bound to this challenge. The usual daily drabble rule still applies.

Title: Abeunt Studia in Mores
    Fandom: Batman

Commissioner Gordon turned around, but Batman was already gone. "Why does he always do that?"

"Training." Suddenly, he was on the far side of the office.

"I'd asked why, not how."

"I know!" Batman insisted. "I spent years training this, practicing for hours at a time until it was second nature to me. No conscious thought required."

The Commissioner asked, "Did you come back just to tell me that?"

"No, you borrowed my pen earlier and didn't return it!"

Gordon pretended to notice the pen he still held and handed it back. "Sorry, forgot I still had it," he lied.

pronker likes this.
  24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    A very interesting challenge! I look forward to seeing the fanfic ones :)

[face_laugh] I love Gordon :D

25. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: Tabula Rasa
    Doctor: Tenth

The Doctor grinned at Donna. "Think of me as a blank slate," he said, "a tabula rasa."

She replied, "I don't think there's anything that can make your tabula that rasa." She wasn't at all sure she'd done the Latin correctly, but it sounded right enough to her.

The Doctor's mind flashed back to a certain fob watch, and to all the other times he'd suffered one form of amnesia or another. He was fairly sure he'd spent a majority of one regeneration with no idea who he was, though he couldn't be certain. "Welllll, you're probably right," he lied.