main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Multi-Fandom] Drabble Squadron (1/26: "Synchronicity" (Sapphire & Steel))

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Poe Drabbleron, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Poe Drabbleron

Poe Drabbleron Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: Non Videmus Manticae Quod in Tergo Est
    Fandom: Doctor Who
    Doctor: Tenth

"There's something on your back!" screamed the shopkeeper, but this time, Donna didn't even bother turning around.

"Listen, sunshine," she snapped back at him. "I've dealt with things like that before, believe me, and I'd know if-"

And then she felt the twitching of antennae.

The Doctor heard the first cries from more than a block away and came running immediately. He found Donna standing alone amid a pile of broken corpses, most of them smaller insectoids. A viscous black liquid dripped from her hands.

"So, Doctor," she said, grinning manically. "How was your shopping excursion? Make any exciting discoveries?"

Sith-I-5 and pronker like this.
  2. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Patris Est Filius
    Fandom: The IT Crowd

Moss insisted, "I have had sex, you know."

"We know, we know," Jen replied dismissively, almost but not actually patting him on the shoulder.

"The question, though," said Roy, "is whether you had sex long enough ago to have a teenage son."

"I wondered that myself, but she's sent me this photograph." Moss held the picture up for the others to see.

Jen gasped. "It's- it's uncanny."

"Maybe it's a clone," Roy suggested.

"It's not an it; it's a he, and he's my son."

Jen asked, "Why would anyone clone Moss?"

Roy shrugged. "Why would anyone sleep with Moss?"

"Hey!"

pronker likes this.
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_laugh] Your voices here were uncannily spot on for this cast. I highly enjoyed this one.

4. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: Cancer
    Fandom: James Bond

"Sadly, it's true," M's voice explained. "We've known about the section chief's health issues for some time. Still, he was determined to keep working right up until the end. You'll never meet a more dedicated servant of the Crown.

"Still, in a sense it's encouraging that, even in our line of work, it's possible to live long enough to be felled by something mundane like cancer. Provided one doesn't behave recklessly, of course."

"Sir, is that supposed to be encouraging?" Bond asked.

"It's supposed to tell you that you can stop harassing the man's grieving staff. This wasn't an assassination."

pronker likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    The Donna "something on your back" drabble was very good for a drabble.

A welcome reminder of that great Doctor / Companion pairing, and certainly could hear her saying those words.

Edit: Cancer

Finally, a title not in Latin. [face_dancing]

This had a Fridge Moment payoff, if the fridge was very close. Read it, didn't really get why 007 was harassing the staff over that; I could see him wanting to have sex, a la Archer, but then a few seconds later, I remembered M's advice to him near the end of Quantum of Solace, about not trusting anyone.

Yeah, that one came back to bite you in the arse.

6. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks, though cancer is from Latin. This calendar's been hitting all the signs of the Zodiac, and I've stuck with Bond for each one's drabble.

Title: Alia Aliis Placent
    Fandom: Challenge of the Superfriends

"Sure, they make a big deal about their main guy being an alien, and maybe Hawkman, too, whichever version they have, but they still both look like white guys," Lex told the reporter. "They have a few nonwhite humans and, oh, one woman. We have two women, aliens who actually look alien, an android, a zombie, and a gorilla!

"More importantly, though, the Legion has diversity of thought, of interest. Some of us want to rule humanity, others to destroy it. Some revel in chaos, and others just like stealing stuff. That's part of what makes us better than them."

pronker likes this.
  7. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Grata Brevitas
    Fandom: Psych

"Yeah, it was brief," Shawn admitted. "But it was simply too intense, too powerful to last, Gus."

He reached for Gus's fries instead of his own, and Gus slapped his hand away. "Shawn, your entire 'relationship' with her was all of three minutes. And most of that was because you were having trouble ordering."

"And yet, it was like we were together for years. Dating, courtship, marriage, kids, acrimonious divorce, acceptance, and friendship, all within such a small window of interaction. You can't know what that's like, Gus. You can't know."

Gus asked, "Does she know any of that happened?"

pronker and Tarsier like this.
  8. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Now this makes me want to watch the show - it seemed worthwhile in its run, but with one thing and another I never caught an ep and just watched the ads ... :p

9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_laugh] Yep, that was a Shawn and Gus moment to perfection. I loved it. =D=

10. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: Brevis Esse Laboro, Obscurus Fio
    Doctor: Fourth

"His brain is moving too fast," the Doctor warned. "If we can't reverse the acceleration, he'll fry his circuits."

Leela bent down and patted K-9's head. "Poor thing." He whirred something back at them both. She paused and listened carefully. "Doctor, he's trying to tell us something!"

The Doctor knelt beside her. "K-9, I need you to concentrate what you're saying into as few words as you can and say them very slowly."

"Walk... news."

Leela whispered, "Doctor, what does that mean?"

"Isn't it obvious?" he snapped.

"Not to me it isn't!" she yelled right back.

"Nor me," he admitted.

11. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh]

I'll admit that I didn't get it until I googled the title meaning, but then I had a nice little chuckle. This was another very clever drabble. :p =D=

12. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: Flare Simul et Sorbere Haud Facile Est
    Doctor: Fifth

The Doctor raced around the console, shifting levers, turning switches, dialing dials, and generally adjusting everything. Any time one of his companions started to speak, even Nyssa, he silenced them with a simple "Sh!" but didn't otherwise pause.

"You don't realize," he said suddenly, startling them, "just how difficult it can be to do six mutually exclusive things at once. I need to concentrate."

Tegan turned to the others, unsure if she'd heard what she thought she'd heard. Nyssa nodded in confirmation, and Adric started to comment aloud before Nyssa put her hand on his shoulder and shook her head.

13. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Fare Quae Sentias
    Fandom: Maverick

Millie - Bart was pretty certain that was her name - sat up and smiled at him. "Maverick," she said, "tell me what you really think about last night."

Bart glanced around, mentally noting where the exits were and how to get to them. He casually started putting his boots on as he replied, "Hon, my pappy always used to say that there were two people you never told what you really think: yourself, and everyone else."

"Sounds like your pappy died a lonely, cynical human being," she said.

Bart shrugged. "Oh, he's not dead. I just haven't seen him in years."

pronker likes this.
  14. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Papae!
    Fandom: Smallville

"I'm not angry, Clark," Jonathan said, and he meant it; his confusion took up far too much space in his mind, leaving no room for anger. "I'm just trying to wrap my head around how this happened."

Clark simply replied, "Meteor rocks?"

Right, ask a silly question, Jonathan thought, and now he had room for his anger. "And now there are two Popes."

"No, no, this is a good thing," His First Holiness said.

"This means that one of us can go out among the faithful," His Second Holiness added, "while the other tends to business back at the Vatican."

15. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    :rolleyes: Because that is pretty much exactly how it would go. :p

Another excellent drabble. =D=

16. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: Manus Haec Inimica Tyrannis
    Doctor: Seventh

The king glowered at the little man kneeling below him. He'd only need to nod toward his guards, and any of the dozen electrified pikes pointed at the man's head would remove it from his shoulders.

"And yet, Doctor," the king asked, "you thought you could charge in here unarmed? How could you hope to succeed?"

The Doctor hissed, "These empty hands have brought down more tyrants than a mind like yours could fathom." From his empty fist, he produced a rubber ball. "Sometimes, it's about sleight of hand. Others, like now, I'm just here to provide the distraction. Ace!"

17. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: In Vino Veritas
    Fandom: Babylon 5

"It's an Earth saying," Londo slurred. "It means that in wine there is truth!"

The Minbari on the next stool shifted uncomfortably. "I'm sure that's very profound, Ambassador Mollari," she replied.

"Bah! It just means that the drunk can't keep their mouths shut! Every Centauri child knows that!" He paused, scrutinizing her for a moment. "But I forget, Minbari don't drink. Wise choice."

"I was asked to come here to observe the interactions of other species in a social environment," she explained. "I suspect this was what I was meant to see."

"Not that Drazi vomiting in the corner?"

"Ew."

pronker likes this.
  18. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Curia Pauperibus Clausa Est
    Fandom: House of Cards (UK)

"The British public is becoming tainted by silly American notions. Of course most people should be shut out of political power! People forget that the spoils system and the old boys' network exist for a reason, and it's not about race or sex or class." Francis smiled. "Well, not just.

"Even with the restricted access to power, look at how many of those wielding it do so with zero understanding of how it actually works. They blunder incompetently along the corridors, only rarely lucking into being useful as pawns. Anything that keeps their numbers down should be encouraged, I say."

pronker likes this.
  19. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Mors Sceptra Ligonibus Acquat
    Fandom: Discworld

The king waved his sceptre menacingly. "Do you know who I am and what this is?"

The robed figure read out the king's full name and title. "AND THAT'S THE MURDER WEAPON."

"Weapon?" the king sputtered. "This Royal Sceptre is the symbol of my absolute power!"

Death replied, "IT ABSOLUTELY MADE A POWERFUL DENT IN YOUR SKULL. YOU'VE BEEN MURDERED."

"I'm a king! I can't be murdered like some peasant! If I die it'd be an assassination! A regicide even!"

"IT'S ALL THE SAME TO ME. AFTER THIS, I'M OFF TO TELL A FARMER HIS MULE KICKED HIM TO DEATH."

20. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: In Rebus Dubiis, Plurimi Est Audacia
    Fandom: Dragon's Lair

Dirk peered over the edge of the rubble at the creatures oozing in through a narrow crack in the room's far wall. Without pausing to think, he leaped over his over and raced toward them, his sword hacking and slashing well before there was anything in range to hack or slash at.

The gelatinous beasts were barely slowed by Dirk's attacks, as they reformed almost immediately. Still, it was enough for him to reach the damaged wall and power through into the corridor beyond. He kept running, not even noticing as the room behind him was buried in falling rubble.

pronker likes this.
  21. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Faex Populi
    Fandom: The Blacklist/It's Your Move

"There's no reason you should remember them," Red explained. "Thirty years ago, the Dregs of Humanity were a no-hit wonder best known for dying mysteriously before their career even began."

"What's this have to do with a Blacklister?" Agent Ressler asked.

A clip from MTV played. "That was the band's teenaged manager, Matthew Burton. Within a decade he was building what's now one of the largest and most diversified criminal organizations on the west coast. Not that you'll find his name anywhere near it, of course.

"The secret is that Faex Populi, like the band before it, never actually existed."

22. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Omnia Fert Aetas, Animum Quoque
    Doctor: Tenth

The Doctor backed slowly away from the golden throne and returned to Donna's side, never breaking eye contact with the seated Emperor. "Absolutely, Your Majesty," he said aloud. To Donna, he whispered, "Get ready to run."

"Why?" she whispered back.

"Because," he explained as they hared down the corridor, "I've never in my lives met a sane immortal."

"Says a man who's nine hundred."

He scoffed. "Nine hundred's easy. Nine million years? Nine billion? Imagine what that does to a mind."

He pulled her into a random room... and found the Emperor's trophy collection. "I hate it when I'm right!"

pronker likes this.
  23. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Title: Senex Bis Puer
    Fandom: Arrested Development

"I'm not going senile!" insisted Oscar, carefully trying to hide what was left of the blender. "At worst, I'm having a midlife crisis."

Michael came into the kitchen, walked straight over to his uncle, and grabbed the blender. He glanced at it a moment, then sniffed it and sighed. "I thought your entire adult life up until now was the midlife crisis."

Oscar made a gesture that Michael chose to interpret as a concessionary shrug.

From the hallway, Buster yelled, "I want a midlife crisis!"

Michael yelled back, "You can't regress to childish immaturity if you've never left childish immaturity!"

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_laugh] Oh, that family. That was a wonderful bit of dialogue, and completely in character all around. :p

But I particularly loved this bit from the drabble before it:

He scoffed. "Nine hundred's easy. Nine million years? Nine billion? Imagine what that does to a mind."

You know, that's a really good point. [face_thinking]

25. Poe Drabbleron

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks.

Title: Quid Brevi Fortes Iaculamur Aevo Multa?
    Fandom: The Third Man

Harry didn't enter the park itself, just watched the ranters and ravers from outside the fence. Most of his attention was on one old man rambling through a vague screed against war. Not against any in particular, just the very idea of international combat.

"Life's too short for human beings to spend it attacking each other!"

Quite right, Harry thought. Well, for some of us. Harry abhorred violence and avoided it as much as possible. The trick, of course, was to get other people to do the fighting for you so you could concentrate on reaping profits from the conflict.

pronker likes this.