main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Multi-Fandom] It's a Drabble! (12/31: "The Giving of Thanks" (Guardians of the Galaxy))

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Admiral Drabblar, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Admiral Drabblar

Admiral Drabblar Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Idol of Dread
    Fandom: Indiana Jones

Indy stared into the reliquary and winced. He'd first heard of the idol some months before, when he'd stumbled upon a vague mention in the diary of a forgotten explorer. Even back then, it had been little more than an ancient rumor, but Indy had determined that he would find it.

In this moment, he wished he'd never heard of it. The weeks of research, the effort of mounting an expedition, the false starts and other setbacks. And for what? He slowly closed the lid and backed away. He couldn't believe he'd done all that for something so hideously ugly.

Tarsier likes this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Glad it wasn't a snake. :p EEEEEK!

3. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Welcome to New York
    Fandom: Gargoyles

Goliath had long awaited this day, since the first eggs of the New York rookery had hatched, when a new generation of Gargoyles born of the island he called home would be formally welcomed into the clan.

But he hadn't foreseen this.

"Perhaps," he announced, "you don't all need names that so honor this city."

The youngsters didn't seem to notice. One yelled out, "I want to be 125th!"

"Call me Prospect Lefferts Gardens!" another declared.

Yet another was whining to Lexington, "If she can be Rikers, why can't my name be Shake Shack?"

"Gowiath, is Metwocahd a good name?"

Tarsier likes this.
  4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    He couldn't believe he'd done all that for something so hideously ugly.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] And I second Nyota's Heart :p

And oh boy, the Gargoyles. I love the babies! Especially the one who wants to be called Shake Shack :p

5. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Sadly, the Shake Shack in Madison Square Park is under renovation.

Title: The Final Word
    Fandom: Doctor Who
    Spoilers: "Dark Water"/"Death in Heaven"

The Mistress glared at the figure sitting across the table from her. "I thought," she hissed, "I'd killed you."

Seb grinned. "I'm an interface programme; I rebooted."

"Who would do a foolish thing like that?"

He didn't speak, but his smile widened, and he pointed at himself.

"Fine, whatever," she growled. "I have to get back out of here so I can-"

He feigned a wince before speaking. "That might be just a tad difficult. Do you remember how you came to be in the Nethersphere?"

The Mistress swore loudly. "And will you please stop enjoying this quite so much?"

6. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Player
    Fandom: The Blacklist

"You lied to us!" screamed Liz. She slammed the door behind her.

Red calmly sat back and replied, "Yes, I did. Or is this about a specific lie?"

She slammed a folder onto the metal table, and various photos and documents fell out. "Donald Asquith is not a terrorist! He's a sidewalk busker in Georgetown!"

"Well, he certainly terrorized me this morning. Have you heard him play? No, 'play' is too polite a word."

"Is that it?" she demanded. "You didn't like his music, and you had an hour to kill, so you framed him for terrorism?"

"Please. Eleven minutes."

7. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I do not have the words for how much I enjoyed this drabble - everything was so spot on. [face_laugh]=D=

8. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks.

Title: No Country for Old Mendoza
    Fandom: The Simpsons

McBain dropped through the hole he'd blasted through the mansion's roof and landed hard on the charred remains of a landing three stories above the spacious entry hall. He leaped over the railing onto the landing below, then once more right to the hall's marble floor.

Ignoring the dozens of guns trained on him, he stood tall and drew his own. "You're going down, Mendoza."

"I have a first name, you know."

"I don't care. Wait, what?" wondered McBain.

"Did you care enough to learn my brothers' names before you killed them, or are we all just Mendozas to you?"

9. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Ink Plot

Donna stared at the card the woman held up in front of her. Impossibly, the ink was moving, shifting, constantly swimming out of one pattern and into another. "Just concentrate," the woman whispered. Donna's mind reeled, her thoughts swimming from one thing to another. "What," hissed the woman, "do you remember about the Doctor?"

A face came forward for a fraction of a second, and then something came down inside Donna's mind. She blinked. "Dunno what you're talking about, lady. Who're you supposed to be, anyway, Mary Poppins' evil sister?"

The woman grinned. "That's right. Missy Poppins, at your service."

10. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Cultural Reappropriation
    Fandom: Community

"Annie," do you want to join us for movie night?" asked Troy. Behind him, Abed held up a bowl of popcorn.

"It's not more Kickpuncher, is it?"

"Kinda," Troy admitted.

Abed stepped forward. "It's this Japanese Kickpuncher series from the early 90s," he explained. "They took out all the stuff about the dystopian future and added in stuff like his giant, transforming robot.

"So I guess, strictly speaking, it's not a movie night as such, but we'd still like you to join us, Annie."

"We invited the rest of the study group," Troy added, "but they all had other plans."

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Now, will Annie's sweetness/feelings for Troy get her to join them? :p

12. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Backstage Confidential
    Fandom: The Muppet Show

"Kermit! Oh, Kermit!"

Kermit didn't bother to look up from his paperwork. "Fozzie, I'm really busy right now. Let me finish this, and then I can deal with whatever you need to talk to me about."

"But Kermit," whined Fozzie, "this can't wait!"

Kermit sighed. "Fine, what is it?"

"I've decided to model my career after this week's guest!" Fozzie declared.

Now Kermit did look up. "You're giving up comedy to become a singer?"

"Not that part. The drive! The energy! The jelly doughnuts!"

"The jelly doughnuts?" asked Kermit.

Fozzie nodded. "The white powder was all over the dressing room."

Nyota's Heart and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: An Ancient Weapon

Field Marshal Sturt didn't rise as the scientists entered the chamber. "What have you to report? Successes, I trust?"

The scientists glanced at each other nervously, and one finally stepped forward. "We were evaluating what we believed may have been an ancient Earth technique for combating our enemy, the Time Lord known as the Doctor."

"Why," asked the Field Marshal, "do I not like where this report appears to be headed?"

The scientist tugged at his uniform's heavy collar. "I'm afraid that no matter how many of the red fruits we hurled at the Doctor, he refused to go away!"

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  14. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The President's Speech
    Doctor: Twelfth

"Well, yes, I'm disappointed! I'm furious! This was the president of your United States of America, standing before the entire planet. He had this unique opportunity to rally humanity to stand up for what's important. But all he jabbered on about were schools and health care and other trivialities. Did he even once mention the Cyberman threat? No!"

With that, the Doctor turned his back to the camera and strode away. The reporter silently watched him leave before remembering she was still on air. Laughing nervously, she said, "That was, uh, one reaction to tonight's State of the Union address."

15. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

OH.MY.GOD.

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, my, the weapon of the "red fruits. ;)

[face_rofl] Loved the "President's Speech" ... Great stuff! =D=

17. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Luck and Load
    Fandom: Get Smart

"Max," wondered 99, "how did you escape from the secret KAOS compound?"

Disheveled as he was, Max held his head high and declared, "Through raw courage, fearsome combat skills, and just the tiniest sliver of good luck!"

"I find that hard to believe," she replied.

"Would you believe," he tried, "sheer cunning, guile, and a moderate amount of luck?"

She pretended to consider this for almost two seconds. "Not really."

"Fine. How about a whole lot of luck? Someone left the back gate open, and I walked - well, hopped - right out. Plus, I only got lost in the forest twice!"

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_laugh] But that was the best. Really excellent dialogue and the perfect punch at the end. =D=

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_rofl] Yup, that last explanation I would believe. Someone left the gate open [face_mischief] [face_tee_hee]

20. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks.

Title: Fowl Language
    Fandom: Wonder Woman

"Steve, what is going-" Diana stopped talking as she raced into Steve's office; she saw the large birdcage on his desk, and immediately adjusted. "I mean, what is that you have there?"

Steve explained, "It's my nephew's canary. I'm watching it while he's at camp."

"Has your nephew entered that stage where he swears almost constantly?" she asked.

"Not in front of me or my sister, but if he's like me at that age, probably. Why do you ask?"

She shrugged. "Just something a little birdie told me. A foul, disgusting little birdie."

"Diana," he replied, "canaries aren't talking birds."

21. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Disappointed
    Fandom: Firefly

"That," said Mal, "was downright disappointing." Zoe and Jayne nodded in agreement.

Adelei Niska looked up from the laser in his hand. "You are disappointed, Captain Reynolds, that you are not now dead?"

"Well, no, I'm all kinds of happy to be alive, but-"

"Then you have no reason to be disappointed, I think," challenged Niska. "I, on the other hand, have ample reason. I paid a great deal of money for this weapon, and yet you are still not dead."

Mal and the others quietly backed toward the door. "If you want to be alone, we can just leave."

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh] Once again, your dialogue is spot on and so much fun to read - especially for this fandom in particular. =D=

23. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks. It helps when the source gave its characters such distinctive speaking styles.

Title: White on Gray
    Fandom: Batman

Victor sat by the cell's tiny window and stared out into the yard. Snow had been falling steadily for the last several hours, but now both the snowfall and the wind were picking up. Gusts were bringing more snow up from beyond the wall and dumping it inside. Victor grinned. Soon, he mused, the entire yard could be buried under two feet.

"Freeze! Hey, Freeze!"

Victor slowly turned around. One of the guards stood by the bars. "You want to go outside for a bit?" the man asked.

"Why?"

The guard shrugged. "We gotta offer it while we can, apparently."

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ha haa, but that was a fun snippet with a great feel to it. You have to take advantage of the weather while you can, it seems. :p

Another great drabble. =D=

25. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Under Pressure
    Fandom: The X-Files

Scully pressed her wrists as tightly over her ears as she could without letting go of her flashlight and gun. Still, she felt the intense pressure beating against her skull as she staggered up the narrow staircase. At the top, she kicked their way through the bedroom door. Two gunshots later, it was all over.

"Wouldn't waking him up have been easier?" asked Mulder.

The pressure in Scully's head dissipated. "It was the only way to be sure." She peered down at the headless remains of the man's wife. "Eventually, he would've gone back to sleep and started snoring again."

Ewok Poet likes this.