main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Multi-Fandom] It's a Drabble! (12/31: "The Giving of Thanks" (Guardians of the Galaxy))

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Admiral Drabblar, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Admiral Drabblar

Admiral Drabblar Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks, both of you.

Title: The Master Tracker
    Fandom: Darkwing Duck

Darkwing Duck knelt low and carefully examined the tracks through his magnifying glass. "Fascinating," he breathed. He studied them as closely as he dared, crawling along over them for several yards, then spinning around and following them back in the other direction for a long while. He eventually made his way back to where he started; only then did he straighten up and turn to Launchpad, who had been watching and waiting patiently.

"I know what happened!" declared Darkwing. "The train has run away! I'm not sure yet which direction it went, but I've narrowed it down to two possibilities!"

2. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Here's my response to the latest challenge. And yes, the central joke came to me shortly after I started writing it.

Title: Pats of Glory
    Fandom: How I Met Your Mother

As Lily and Marshall entered, Barney stood at the karaoke machine, crooning, "Fire away!" Ted, Robin, and one old man in the corner cheered loudly, but nobody else did.

"What's he doing?" Marshall asked as he and Lily joined their friends in the booth.

Robin said, "Pat Boonatar."

"We challenged him to sing every Pat Benatar song on the machine," explained Ted, "but as Pat Boone."

"We are young. Heartache to heartache, we stand."

Lily said, "It's kind of hypnotic."

"That old guy seems to love it," Marshall pointed out.

"We think," whispered Robin, "that might actually be Pat Boone."

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh] I had that song stuck in my head all day after writing that prompt, so this drabble was double the fun for me. I can totally see this scene playing out! The last line just clinched it for me. [face_laugh]=D=

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I love it :D I can totally see Barney accepting that challenge :p

5. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Thank you.

Title: The Junior Minted
    Fandom: Caddyshack

Judge Smails continued, "And that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

Danny, his right hand raised, repeated the words. Then, his oath completed, he lowered the hand and shook the judge's.

"Congratulations, Senator."

Danny smiled. "Thanks, Spaulding."

Spaulding turned to the crowd. "I present to you the junior senator for Illinois, Daniel Noonan!"

At the back of the room, a voice slurred, "Way to go, kid!"

Spaulding chuckled and added, "And, I guess, the man who's now officially our senior senator, Dr. Carl Spackler!"

6. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Outside Worlds
    Fandom: Ghostbusters

White swirled around and through white, all of it suffused with a white glow. Peter looked around desperately, but he couldn't see anyone, not even himself. "Egon, buddy, you there?"

From somewhere very near, Egon's voice responded, "Peter, tell me what you see. Leave out no detail."

"White," replied Peter. "Where are we?"

"The realm between realities, where none of the rules as you understand them apply. Even the whiteness is nothing more than a subjective construct."

Peter wondered, "How do we get home?"

"I have no idea. Fortunately, we're effectively immortal here. What's another two or three millennia?"

"Another?"

7. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Sparks and the City
    Fandom: Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars / Amelia Earhart, Fearless Flyer

Sparks stared up at the skyscrapers, his mouth slightly more agape than he'd ever admit. That crazy Earhart woman had been telling the truth; this really was Earth, where he was from, but centuries before his own time.

"Help! Help!" Sparks recognized the voice immediately; sure enough, he found its source further back in the alley.

"Felton, what're you doing here?" he drawled.

"I have no Marsly idea!" insisted Felton. "I don't even know where here is!"

"Sorry, Marshal," Amelia said, appearing behind him. "Turns out Felton's the man I need to stop the villainous Nazi plot, not you."

"Seriously?"

8. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Insanity Is Sanity
    Fandom: Pinky and the Brain

The ancient god peered down at the tiny mortals before it. The tentacles that it had instead of teeth writhed as it smiled. The shorter of the two figures was quietly gibbering, which the god always found to be respectful. The other was grinning and hopping around like an idiot.

"Aren't you a cute one?" the grinning mortal said. "Can we keep it, Brain? Narf! I promise to feed it and clean up after it and-"

The god leaned back and roared at the heavens.

"Poit! I think it's trying to tell us something! Has Timmy fallen down a well?"

9. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: The Laws of Time
    Fandom: Doctor Who
    Doctor: Seventh

The High Councillor glared across the table at the little man in the tacky pullover. "If it were up to me, Doctor, you and your entire line would be timelocked away and erased from history! That's how we Time Lords used to handle troublemakers like you! Do you have even the faintest idea," he demanded, "how many of the Laws of Time you've broken?"

"None," the Doctor hissed quietly. A bit louder, he added, "If they were truly the Laws of Time, then they would have been unbreakable, even by me. These were, at best, the Suggested Guidelines of Time."

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL! Love that: suggested guidelines. :cool: =D=

11. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks.

Title: Moving Forward
    Fandom: Torchwood

After a long, silent moment, Jack's breathing restarted, and he gulped in air. He sat up and peered down at the three arrowheads protruding from his chest. "Nice grouping," he wheezed; at least one had pierced a lung. He tried to reach behind him to see if he could grab a shaft, but his fingers couldn't get a good grip.

"Forward it is." He pinched one of the heads between his thumb and forefinger and started easing it out. After he'd moved it about an inch, it exploded, and the other two immediately followed. That, he thought, was definitely cheating.

12. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Believe it or not, this was inspired by actual events.

Title: Wolves at the Gate
    Fandom: Doctor Who

The Sontaran Battle Fleet took up a formation outside the planet's defensive shield. Once all was in readiness, Field Marshal Shandak broadcast his challenge on every frequency.

"Doctor!" he shouted. "Lower this energy barrier so that you and I may face each other in honourable combat!"

Soon, responses came pouring through. "Did you idiots just interrupt my TV show?" "What the spack is going on? I was trying to sleep here!" "Do I look like a doctor to you?" And millions more.

"Puny natives, lower this barrier so we may eradicate the Doctor," Shandak ordered. Surprisingly, that didn't work either.

13. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Here Come the Judgmental
    Fandom: Pinky and the Brain

Pinky rushed over when Brain returned. "So, how was the support group for hyperintelligent animals?" he asked.

"I had thought," Brain groused, "that support groups weren't supposed to be judgmental."

"I am not a supervillain," he insisted.

The horse - Brain hadn't bothered learning anyone's name - let out a whinnying laugh. "Says the mouse who's always plotting to take over the world."

"Do you really think the humans are going to obey a rodent?" wondered one of the gorillas.

"Well, I, uh-"

The border collie asked, "How many people have gotten hurt in your schemes?"

Pinky grinned. "Besides you, you mean?"

14. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Stealing the City
    Fandom: Arrow / Doctor Who

Oliver kept his arrow aimed directly at the woman's heart. "Lady Christina de Souza," he said, "you have failed this city."

She laughed. "I've been here a day and a half."

"And already you're plotting to steal some of its most valuable treasures," he replied.

"Sometimes a girl just wants a little excitement in her life," explained Christina. "I'm sure you understand." She nodded toward his costume.

"I don't do this for excitement. I do it to-"

A red bus crashed through a skylight directly overhead. Oliver dived for cover, but it was gone seconds later, as was Lady Christina.

15. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Before Sunrise
    Fandom: Flash Gordon

Flash jogged along under the moonslight. Mongo's gravity was slightly lower than Earth's, but that just meant he could push himself that much more.

"Morning, Flash."

Flash grinned. "Dr. Zarkov, I never would've figured you for an early riser. Or were you up all night working on some experiment or other?"

"As a matter of fact," the older man said, falling in alongside Flash, "long before I became a scientist, I was a milkman. I was up every morning before dawn, out making my deliveries."

"I never would've guessed," admitted Flash.

"Also, I was up all night running an experiment."

16. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    The last line was awesome. :p Another great response to the prompts. =D=

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Cool response =D= A milkman huh? If that isn't a retro career [face_laugh] :p

18. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Well, the milkman part was where I was referencing the theme, after all. [If you don't remember the 1980 film Flash Gordon, look up who played Dr. Zarkov.]

Title: The Wrong Hands
    Fandom: James Bond

Q smiled proudly. This was, if he did say so himself, the greatest creation ever to come out of any government lab; certainly, it was his best invention ever. Whichever agent got to be the first to use this would be very lucky indeed.

And then word came down.

"Oh no, not him!"

"Pay very close attention, 007," he explained. "If you don't bring this back in one piece, I'll kill you myself."

"I'm all ears."

Three hours later, Bond left the lab. Twenty seconds after that, an explosion rocked the hallway. "You can't blame this one on me, Q!"

19. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Yes, I wrote this last week.

Title: Defensive Color Theory
    Fandom:Community

"Oh, Abed," cooed Shirley, "I didn't know you celebrated St. Patrick's Day."

Abed glanced toward the "Kiss Me, I'm Irish" button he wore; he didn't need to look, but he figured it made him seem more relatable. "I don't, but I don't want to get pinched, either."

"But you're an adult now. Surely, here at Greenda-" She stopped, realizing what she was about to say. "Where can I get one?"

"Do you know how," Pierce asked, "I celebrated St. Patrick's Day? I pooped green." When everyone else around the table winced, he added, "I'm sorry, was that joke too off-color?"

20. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Distorted, Disguised, and Disturbed
    Fandom: Veronica Mars

Veronica struggled to make out what the voice on the other end of the phone line was trying to tell her. She understood the use of the electronic voice distorter; sometimes people had good, or at least interesting, reasons for wanting to remain anonymous. Also, ordering pizza or Chinese in that deep, robotic voice could be fun.

But compounding that with a sibilant whisper and an outrageous, Pythonesque accent just made them unintelligible. "Please," she said, "lose the French snake impression. I can't help you if I can't understand you."

"Fine," the voice said. "How is-"

"Logan? Is that you?"

21. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Nothing to Be Afraid of
    Fandom: Danger Mouse

"Penfold," said Danger Mouse calmly, "there's absolutely nothing to be afraid of."

"What about cats?"

Danger glanced around, but it was clear they were alone. "I don't see any cats."

"But they're something to be afraid of," Penfold countered. "Just like earthquakes, floods, tornados, volcanoes-"

"Yes, yes! Those are all things you can be afraid of in general," Danger admitted, "but I meant there's nothing to be afraid of here. Right here. Where we are standing. Now."

Penfold pointed. "What about that? Can I be afraid of that?"

"That's your shadow, so no."

He pointed again. "That?"

"That's my shadow."

22. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: A Sight for Sore Eyes
    Fandom: The Avengers

Cathy listened carefully as the newcomer entered the room, his tread heavy. As soon as he did, her abductors stopped their own movements as well as their inane chatter.

"Cathy Gale," said a new, unfamiliar voice. She was certain it was he; his Scots brogue was so thick, she almost didn't recognize her own name being called. "Aren't you a sight for sore eyes," he added. A statement, she thought, not a question.

"I would love to be able to say the same," she quipped, "but it's rather hard with this blindfold on. You wouldn't mind removing it, would you?"

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  23. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Who Wants to Be a Legionnaire?
    Fandom: Challenge of the Super Friends

Lex Luthor studied the other members of the Legion, trying to gauge their reactions to the proposal before them. Most seemed ready to dismiss the idea outright, at least partly because of whose it was.

"I didn't come up with this myself," Solomon Grundy insisted. "The network approached me."

Grodd objected, "We don't need any new members, certainly not some random upstarts."

"According to this, we wouldn't have the final say in selecting our new colleague," said Sinestro.

"Is it really in our best interests," Brainiac wondered, "to have cameras recording us for this, what was the term, reality show?"

24. Admiral Drabblar

Jan 2, 2014
    Title: Pecking Order
    Fandom: Dilbert

The six figures on the lifeboat eyed each other warily. "I hate to bring this up," said Dilbert, "but if we have to eat someone to survive, who's it going to be?"

Ratbert sighed. "It's probably me, isn't it?" The others immediately agreed.

"There's not enough meat on him to go around," Alice pointed out. "I vote we eat Wally second."

"Gee, thanks," Wally moaned.

"Don't mention it."

Their boss asked, "Uh, guys, shouldn't we eat the dog next before any of the humans?"

Everyone glared at him. "Congratulations, Ratbert," said Dogbert, "you'll now be the second one we eat."

25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    How Donner party. And oh how quickly they turn on each other :p